Author Topic: Question on Helmets  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Question on Helmets
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Someone once told me that I should buy a white helmet instead of the dark blue I intended to get (I bought the blue anyway)...because the white helmet would be much cooler inside when riding in the sun.
So my question to the collective motorcycle gurus who peruse these pages...do you have any experience which verifies the theory that a white helmet is cooler than a black helmet?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Question on Helmets
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
Someone once told me that I should buy a white helmet instead of the dark blue I intended to get (I bought the blue anyway)...because the white helmet would be much cooler inside when riding in the sun.
So my question to the collective motorcycle gurus who peruse these pages...do you have any experience which verifies the theory that a white helmet is cooler than a black helmet?

I don't have any verifying experience, nor am I a guru, but that won't shut me up.  ;D
I suspect that your windshield shape and position would have more effect on temperature than color would (when moving), however a guru over on another forum did some interesting testing: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?320016-Helmet-color-vs-temperature&s=48d5b0b8b2d2d8fd3abae67d34e4299f

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I will never buy another none white helmet!!  I was hoping my Shoei X12 in the graphite gray would be OK, (MSF sweatheart deal).  Not only is it cooler, it adds conspicuity (white).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:08:37 AM »
One can definitely see a white helmet over the other colors...  Not much on that color.  My helmet is silver.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:49:33 AM »
One can definitely see a white helmet over the other colors...  Not much on that color.  My helmet is silver.

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
It is true that the lighter the color the more visible and the cooler it will be in the sun.  This is true also of all your clothing and also the bike, itself.  Solar power can be powerful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »

Place a black and a white object in the sun. Let them sit for an hour. At the end of the hour, which is hotter?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »
Place a black and a white object in the sun. Let them sit for an hour. At the end of the hour, which is hotter?

On the surface...sure.  Does the heat make it through the stryrofoam cooler inside the shell?  I doubt it. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »
When just sitting in the sun no doubt the white will be cooler. But when moving with vents open I doubt there is any measurable difference. No actual experience with that just speculation on my part.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »
On the surface...sure.  Does the heat make it through the stryrofoam cooler inside the shell?  I doubt it.

Ok, how about a cooler full of ice keeping your beer cold? Would the ice last longer if the cooler was out in the sunshine or in the shade?

Psi wheel test with Crookes radiometer (light mill)