Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
What would you do?
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
VStrom 650 Adventure   or a KLR 650   (Cringeing as I type this and hit the "POST" button)

OK.....I'm just thinking of how many guns I would need to sell

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
I have been pondering the same thing and I am leaning towards the WeeStrom.  The F800GS is also a very nice bike but it is quite a bit more coin.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
Well that depends, what kind of riding are you wanting to do? The 650 Strom is a capable light offroad machine in the right hands, but is just fantastic on the open road and especially in the twisty bits. You have farkles galore for either bike, but the KLR will for sure be less of a handfull offroad. That engine in the Strom is one of the best engines ever made, and it is bulletproof. I had the 1000 and loved it to death, but would go the 650 route if I did it again. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
Cross County  and I mean COUNTRY  NC to West Coast.....  Would you?
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I'd go with the Vstrom. The Vtwin is better for highway than that big ol thumper in the KLR. If you found a good condition(used) F800GS, that would be a really nice ride.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »
I don't want a BMW just because of the access to dealers. (and the cost  Whew!!!)
I have veered away from the Versys because I dislike some of the set up, appearence and negative review info I have read.

I know that the KLR and the Wee are two very diferent bikes too....

So I really am leaning to the Wee for overall

I probably should have really posted  Versys V Wee Strom
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
Well, obviously I'm prejudiced towards the Wee-Strom (see pics below).  As always for a lot of discussions regarding 'Stroms, go to www.stromtrooper.com.  It's a great forum until you get sick of the guy called "Sittingduck" who is absolutely WRONG about everything.  Ignore his comments altogether.  The rest of it is pretty good.  ADV Rider is a good place to go for comparison opinions also.

The Wee-Strom is great on the road, not so good in the dirt.  Hard-packed logging roads, etc., it does OK.  Some really good dirt riders can treat it like a dual-sport, but it is really too heavy for sand, mud, etc.  If you really want to go in the dirt, and off-road, you'll need a more dirt-oriented machine, KLR or maybe a DRZ 400 or 650, or the like.  But obviously they suffer on the pavement.

Since I got my 2007 ABS Wee, I have ridden it probably 75% and the Connie 25%.  The Wee is great on the twisties, and good on the highway if you stay below 80 MPH or so.  It is NOT a speed bike.  Farkles are virtually unlimited.  I get about 55 MPG and I usually cruise around 65-70.  There are a ton of luggage options, I have a couple sets of Givi bags, along with the trunk box I swap from bike to bike.  The Wee will easily carry a couple of hundred pounds of camping gear, etc.  It will haul anything you'd carry on the Concours.  I have done several 400-mile days without any fatigue or problems.  Also, it is available with ABS, if you like that sort of thing.  I do.

The new 2012 models are changed a bit, but are getting good reviews.  The engines on the older models are derived from the SV650 and generally considered pretty bullet-proof.  I have 31,000 on mine without trouble, (except for a broke chain at 12,000 miles, which is pretty much unheard of on these bikes).  I just got done with the 2nd valve check, had to reshim a couple.  That's a little hassle, since it is shim-under-bucket, but a good mech can do it in a weekend.  Generally after one adjustment they tend to stay OK for a long time if not forever.

Wee pics below

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »
^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^ ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
If your planing on a TAT type adventure the KLR would be the choice but not my first choice.
KLR vs Wee, the Wee better highway handling, good enough for forest roads.
Wee vs Versys, the Versys for the ride quality, can run interstate speed with power to spare, OK for forest roads and it looks good, may require selling a extra gun or two.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
Well that depends, what kind of riding are you wanting to do? The 650 Strom is a capable light offroad machine in the right hands, but is just fantastic on the open road and especially in the twisty bits. You have farkles galore for either bike, but the KLR will for sure be less of a handfull offroad. That engine in the Strom is one of the best engines ever made, and it is bulletproof. I had the 1000 and loved it to death, but would go the 650 route if I did it again. 8)

^^^^That

weestrom: more road travel/limited offroad
KLR: limited road/more offroad travel
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
As usual, Nosmo has it well nailed.  And for sure the Sitting Duck part!!   ;)

I have a DL650, and I bought my son a KLR650 for high school graduation a couple years ago.  The KLR is eminently more qualified for off pavement riding, while the DL has the pavement side beat hands down.  I still have my C10 also.  I wanted a V-Strom to be able to hit up gravel/forest service roads when the urge hit me, and not have the chore of lugging a C10 through them.  It's a perfect machine for that combination.

A couple years ago I had a trip to NM from WA, and I chose the V-Strom to do it.  Far more comfortable than the C10, and the only time I wished I had a little more oomph is when I was eastbound heading into AZ, fighting headwinds and buffeting from big trucks.  I needed more pop to get through and around a lot of that.  I was fighting a schedule on the way down, but on the way back coming through Utah, I was glad to be able to take my time, wandering down a dirt or gravel road for a long stretch just to see what was there. 

I'm going for Prudhoe next summer, and I'll be on the DL.  Have just under 50k on it now, with no problems, just regular maintenance.  It is a really great do everything machine.

Now the roads and trails I was on yesterday up in the hills, KLR for sure.  And in this case, it was the KLR jr., the 250...... :thumbs:
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:45:11 PM »
If your planing on a TAT type adventure the KLR would be the choice but not my first choice.
KLR vs Wee, the Wee better highway handling, good enough for forest roads.
Wee vs Versys, the Versys for the ride quality, can run interstate speed with power to spare, OK for forest roads and it looks good, may require selling a extra gun or two.

+1
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline booger

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
KLR 650

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
KLR has doohicky issues, cooling issues, sounds like a chirping bird, still a big pig for off-road, and has allot lest HP/torque than the Vtwin 650 Strom. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
OK  I am leaning more on the V Strom side as I were when I started this ...

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...........................

I found a  used 2011 (at a Zuki dealer)  KLR with 1200 miles  with pelican panier cases and racks, skid plate, crash bars, hand shields  and it looks like new ...it was traded in from a guy who couldn't ride 2 up with his wife so he went to a Strom 1000...

$5040  out the door  (includes the tag, taxes)

What do you think???
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
Well, I would still be looking V-Strom.  They have proven long term reliability, much like the C10.  There's a guy on stromtrooper now posting a 250k mile update.

One thing I didn't mention earlier:  fuel injection vs carb.  No comparison, go with modern technology if you can.
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
The KLR is a fine dependable bike and that is a good out the door price, my buddy just sold his 2011 stock with way more miles for more money than that, your not going to be disappointed with the bike.
Would recommend some memory foam put in the seat to replace the medieval device it comes with.   

Yes the Wee might be a better choice, but there is nothing wrong with the KLR at all.

KLR, DR, Wee all have good track records for long life, plenty of dealerships in every state for service if needed.
All three of these bikes are ridden around with world literary.
Enjoy your adventure.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »
Well I have thought about this for a while....and been looking at both...leaning more on the Strom side all along.   

I think it all boils down to road Vs. Off-road

I vote ROAD  simply because I will be on road 98% (or more) of the time

$8500.00 for a new Wee plus tax, license and outfitting ($1650.00 farkles appox)   (and I have looked at used bikes too)

I don't know....I just don't know

I am far far far from being rich (See: POOR)

But I will turn 50 this year and I need to work on my bucket list...

so again.....I don't know....that is   A LOT of money for me....and I hate to sell stuff to do it...but it may boil down to that...

But...that KLR is a pretty good deal.....I would need to lower it right much as I can only touch my toes to the ground on it and I'm 5'8"....
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
Hmmmmmmm......that would be really hard to pass up on that KLR, that things is ready for some serious riding. You are a good sargent seat away from racking up some serious miles on that thing, and I seriously doubt you would regret buying it. I WOULD SAY GO FOR IT! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Well if I do it...It's gonna be the V Strom 650.....

Just too many articles and info out there that all say the same thing...

on the road,  Wee Strom

wind is not as much of a factor
power to pass is substainally better
overall ride for 500 miles + better
Bulletproof basically
Better suited for cross country

Off the road (more).....KLR

Thanks guys for the info and please add anything else you think is important
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights