Author Topic: Bar end weights  (Read 7490 times)

Offline SimonSaysDie

Bar end weights
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
Has anyone used these bar end weights on the C14 (before someone feels obligated to say it, yes I did a search )? 

http://www.hvmp.com/kawasaki.htm

The site lists the Concours but not the C14 specifically.  I've read of people using them on the C10, but want to find out if they fit both.  I sent an email to HVMP but haven't head back from the yet and just wanted to go ahead and see if anyone here had used them.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
Re: Bar end weights
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »
HVMP is a mom & pop shop and I think they may be on vacation.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline curly

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
Before the big crash there were several people here who have used them, maybe they will be along. Before you drop the $ know that heavier is not always better. After removing mine after 2 years and going back to stock I noticed much less vibration than with the heavier weights. Just my .02.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
HVMP is a mom & pop shop and I think they may be on vacation.

They responded today and said they would fit.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
Before the big crash there were several people here who have used them, maybe they will be along. Before you drop the $ know that heavier is not always better. After removing mine after 2 years and going back to stock I noticed much less vibration than with the heavier weights. Just my .02.

Though I understand your point, I know what it's like with stock and I don't know much of a way to find out what more weight would do without trying; I know different grips, grip puppies etc aren't helping.  My hands can start going numb within just a few of miles and with a 2 week trip and multiple thousands of miles coming up in August, I need to try and figure something out.  Ideally I think the handle bars need to be turned out a couple of degrees, but I don't know of an easy way to make that happen.  It may not help specifically with vibration but I believe it would help with wrist fatigue.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
All I have to say is, the "BIG CRASH" really suck d@#k!
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
Anyone know the weight difference between these bar-end weights and the Throttlemeister?? Maybe kill 2 birds with one stone...

Offline HVMP

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Hi folks heard you were talking about us so I wanted to drop in an say hi. Thanks to those I you who've supported us in the past, and if you have any questions drop u a line at info@HVMP.com

See you at the COG national rally in august.  I'll be on the red BMW and my husband will probably be on a Buell. Stop by and say hello.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
Anyone know the weight difference between these bar-end weights and the Throttlemeister?? Maybe kill 2 birds with one stone...

The standard TM is 12 oz each and the heavy are 14.  Th HVMP are 13.9 oz each for the standard and 17.2 for the extra heavy.  I thought about the TM, but just isn't what I'm looking for.  A friend of mine has one and I think they're well made, but I just don't think it's convenient to operate; I know a lot of people really like them and it probably just takes some getting used to, but just isn't my cup-o-soup.  I went ahead and ordered the extra heavy to give them a try.  I'll post my impressions and how they work out once I get them on.  Thanks HVMP for getting back to me on the fitment...and on a holiday weekend too.  :)

Offline curly

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
Though I understand your point, I know what it's like with stock and I don't know much of a way to find out what more weight would do without trying; I know different grips, grip puppies etc aren't helping.  My hands can start going numb within just a few of miles and with a 2 week trip and multiple thousands of miles coming up in August, I need to try and figure something out.  Ideally I think the handle bars need to be turned out a couple of degrees, but I don't know of an easy way to make that happen.  It may not help specifically with vibration but I believe it would help with wrist fatigue.

Yes, I understand what you are saying as my hands go numb sometimes as well, specifically my throttle hand. I have found that a throttle rocker helps with the right hand. I went with heavier bar end weights and found that they actually increased handlebar vibration. Just my experience, I hope they work for you.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:25 AM »
I have the ThrottleMeister Heavy that I swap between my C10 and C14.

The weight just changes the resonant frequency of the bars so sometimes going lighter also works if ya have a bad buzz.
My C14 is pretty smooth so I only fit the TM when I'm going touring.
First thing I'd do (unless ya have small hands) would be to fit foam grips or Grip Puppies.

I do have a problem with my feet getting numb but that is more down to me being fat than anything else.
The stock saddle sure doesn't help matters.
May have to get a sheepskin to distribute my weight more evenly.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »
Well, I installed the extra heavy weights (17.2 oz) and really notice a difference; much less felt vibration.  I've ridden several times since putting them on and no numb hands yet.  I may still feel something during long stints, but so far they've been a definite improvement.   :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
I have been running the Extra heavy ones for over a year, won them at a rally as a door prize.
I never had an issue with vibes on the C14, but I must say the HVMP's are a real nice product, and did smooth out the feel slightly...if that is how to explain it.
I like the fact they increase the grip area length, and offer me an alternative hand position for changing up to on long rides...coupled with the fact that they will never corrode from hand perspiration like the originals, they are a winner in my book....good product from good COG'rs.
 ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..