Author Topic: AutoZone Battery Update  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
AutoZone Battery Update
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Just thought i would post this from my maintenance logs.

New Battery 4/2/2010 $66.46 WITH $10 core trade-in Autozone Duralast Sport Battery CB16CL-B FP - 3 month warrnty
19 AH: / CCA: 240 / 14lbs

Fail Date: July 30 2012

Cold start, engine turned over about three times very slow then a backfire and nothing - Dead! so i know its the battery this time around.

I don't keep the battery on a tender or anything and ride two or three times a week with an average ride of 20-40 miles

My last ride was three days ago and i did notice the bike cut out a few times so i was kind of expecting this to be the battery knowing the battery was from autozone and more then 2 years old but i was hopeing to get at least three years from it . i pull and check batterys every six months, last check was 5 months ago with good voltage and full fluid, right now its showing one cell almost empty and another cell bellow the fill line and now i see Corrosion in there that was not there the last time i checked, so its time for a new battery but in the mean time i put some water in it and is now on my 1.5 amp charger, i just want to see if it will still hold a charge.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: AutoZone Battery Update
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »
I want to try the MotoBatt battery cause it has a two year warranty, does anyone know if this is the correct part number to fit my bike, i sure would hate to ship it back just because it didn't fit. from what i gather it should be this number MB18U but i would like to confirm it and also get some feedback if anyone else is using this battery and how long...

I dont see it on murph's any more  :'(

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:24:09 AM »
Good info, thanks. I need to swap my battery for the heck of it.  Pushing on 3 years and never been on my battery tender, never will be
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »
I don't stop riding long enough to put it on a tender. :)
I got 5 years out of the original. Then got a walmart motorcycle battery. Its on it's third year. Go figure. ???
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 03:13:43 AM »
New Battery from Auto Zone again.  :-\

AGM Extreme Magna Power

Part Number:    ETX16
Weight:    17.0 lbs
Warranty:    3 MO
   AGM
   12 Volt
   19 Ah
   1.9 Amp
Application:    Power Sports
BCI Cold Cranking Amps Value:    Tested to BCI Standard
Battery Height:    154 mm - 6 1/16 in
Battery Length:    175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Width:    102 mm - 4 in
Cold Cranking Amps - BCI:    325
Core Charge Applicable:    Yes
Positive Terminal Side:    Left
Power Sport Battery Type:    BTX16-BS
Voltage:    12

This battery is NOT COMPATIBLE With the ZG1000, it fits under the seat just right But the post are on the back so the cables do not reach,  it will work fine with longer cables or extension, i had run back to auto zone for extensions and bolts/nuts to tie them into the cables since i could not remove the neg- cable cause that darn bolt holding the cable is next to impossible to remove, at least with my basic tools. but the extensions work fine and i'm back on the road.

Well i wanted a MotoBatt because of the 2 year warranty but since the bike is my only transportation i could not wait for shipping and could not find it any where local so i went to O'Reilly for an AGM battery with a 12 month warranty and O'Reilly said it would be in the store at 9:00am the next morning, So i pay $87.41 Cash and stand there a good 20min while the guy keys in my order and gives me my receipt,, So i pay someone for gas and to give me a ride back the next morning at 9am and the same guy at check out tells me he did not place my order, I'm like WTF i payed you Cash money and Stood there 20min watching you pound away on the keyboard..
he says he can order it now and to come back again tomorrow.

I said give me my money back i need a battery today, So i get money back and the core and head to auto zone where they had the battery already in stock but now i'm stuck with a 3 month warranty again but since O'Reilly can't figure out how to order a battery my options was limited.

Offline CoffeeRider

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
When my original Yuasa battery in my '02 bit the dust, I bought an AGM batter from Bikebatts.com for about $70. Great selection and customer service. My original battery was lost in shipment and they immediately sent out a replacement for me. That battery lasted almost 3 years and gave no warning when it died and I needed a new battery immediately. I went to an Interstate battery depot/store about 10 miles away from me and they had the exact sized battery I needed for the Connie in stock and charged. It was a bit pricey at about $110 but it has been in two years now without a bit of trouble. It seems to have the most cranking power of any battey I've had and also had a one year guarantee.
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
Yeah i was looking for more CCA and the one i got now is 325 compared to the 240 of my last one, And one thing that stood out is that right on the box it said NO Initial Charging READY TO INSTALL, but i was not gonna take that as face value and when i put it on my volt meter it only had about 12.2 standing volts, it took my 1.5 amp charger 6 hours to get to 12.8 and my charger's green light never did come on but i'm pretty sure it was close so put it in the bike, the only thing now im a little worried about is the extended cable lenth i had to add, now i have about 8 inches of extra cables tucked behind the batter, i hope it dont cause a problem down the road. i should have took it back but once again i probably would have been stuck waiting for another battery order and i needed my bike now. i have 90 days i guess to take it back and just say it was the wrong size but i will have to make sure i don't need my bike for a few days if i end up taking it back.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »
For me I find the old fashioned lead acid types last a lot longer than the newer maintainence free types.  Plus, again, for me, a battery cannot be made in China, and I'm finding many of these "super batteries" being made there. Initial set-up and charging is absolutey paramount now when installing a battery, done wrong and you'll knock off years on the life of them, again, for me.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
For me I find the old fashioned lead acid types last a lot longer than the newer maintainence free types.  Plus, again, for me, a battery cannot be made in China, and I'm finding many of these "super batteries" being made there. Initial set-up and charging is absolutey paramount now when installing a battery, done wrong and you'll knock off years on the life of them, again, for me.
As an aside, do you think the ground/river/lake around a Chinacrap battery factory might be "slightly" polluted?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
If we can get a battery from japan it might last forever since everything over there is Nuclear Charged from that meltdown  :rotflmao:

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
here is the first AGM i put in the bike when i got it 4 years ago. what a waste that was

Power Source Power Sport 12 Volt (WPX20L-BS)  $91.95

(Order Date: 1/17/2008)
(Fail Date:  4/1/2009) poor battery from http://www.eBatteriesToGo.com

if i cant get at least 2-3 years from this new one i will not buy any more agm

the battery i have now is made in America  :chugbeer: so maybe its better, time will tell.

i just went to eBatteries and got this message when i clicked on battery info
Sorry, eBatteriesToGo is permanently closed. Thanks.

Good riddance, maybe getting the battery there was the problem

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
Not to get off topic, but yes, I think the reason why many industries are going to China and many other third world countries is their dismal laws concerning the environment and cheap slave labor, I'm positive the water/ground/population and everything else is polluted far beyond anything we could possibly imagine here, all for the sake of lower prices and better stock profits here. Now back to the topic of batteries.

Offline ZG1400CCF

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
The last Yuasa I had was in a DL650 (650 V-strom) and it was made in China.  It lasted one year and I used a Battery Tender.

I've replaced it with a Walmart (Johnson Controls) and each have lasted three years.  I like the fact they are dry (I add the acid) and I can properly charge them before putting the battery in service).

I am a new C14 owner.

When I removed the C14 battery to install a Battery Tender lead, I forgot to see who made the battery or the country of origin.

Robert...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
I just saw a recent Yuasa ad with a prominant "made in USA" stamped in it. So it looks like some are made here and some made elsewhere. Shop wisely. I didn't want this to become a geopolitical football, its just a question I always ask.