Author Topic: Wheel Straightening?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Wheel Straightening?
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »
My daughter's new (2001) Ninja 600R has a dented from wheel. I missed finding this when I checked the bike out before she bought it; I thought it was just a wheel out of balance.  :banghead:

Anybody have any experience --- good or bad --- with having a dented wheel fixed?

Offline Strawboss

Re: Wheel Straightening?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
Sorry, no experience. I always thought bent aluminum wheels were not fixable until I saw an ad in an auto magazine that did it. Not sure how they do it but it has to be pricey with the process they use and for liability concerns. I bought older wheels on ebay for $50 with a 3 day inspection clause. Of course, they weren't 2001 Ninja wheels but search around, it may be a better choice, good luck.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline JetJock

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
eBay's on my list, as are salvage businesses, but wondering if the straightening is an option. It's only about a 3-inch section of wheel --- I'm ticked that I didn't notice it back when I was inspecting the bike.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/index.shtml

I haven't had to use them myself, but have heard good things about them on ADVrider.com
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline BrianM

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/index.shtml

I haven't had to use them myself, but have heard good things about them on ADVrider.com

Up till May of this year, I lived a whopping 1 mile from their shop and helped a number of new riders out by pulling wheels and housing bikes while Woody and his guys did their work.  This was usually fixing spoked rims, and it wasn't cheaper than buying something used, but his wheels were FAR superior to anything OEM.  No idea on pricing for fixing mag wheels, and it may be cost prohibitive, but you'll be hard pressed to find a more ethical, or skilled, wheel shop to call and talk with. 

Offline JetJock

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 06:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the link to Woody's and the testimonial. Just what I was looking for. Will probably make this a winter project.