Author Topic: When you buy something on Ebay, do you.....  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
When you buy something on Ebay, do you.....
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:31:56 AM »
Hi Folks,

So, I buy and sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. Ok, I buy more than I sell, but I do go through runs where I'll sell a dozen items at a time or so on Ebay.

I'm curious what makes buyers do what they do, so this is what I'm wondering:

When you buy an item on Ebay, do you...

1. Pay for the item as soon as possible after the auction is over, or if you select buy-it-now do you continue with the couple extra clicks to pay for the item in full immediately?

2. Wait for the seller to send you an invoice, and pay that invoice a day or two later or whenever?

3. Communicate with the seller to arrange a different form of payment (other than Paypal).

I'm just curious what your normal is...lol.

Rem :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: When you buy something on Ebay, do you.....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
I pay for things as soon as I know I won them, or take the few extra steps to "pay for it now" if I "buy it now".
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:02 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:10 AM »
I pay immediately. Unless otherwise stated, there is no invoice and if I were to wait, I would just be late in paying and make people cranky. I am talking about a 'buy it now'.

If I win an auction and am not actively watching it, I pay the next time I log in. But to be honest, the things I buy I usually want and watch the auction right to the bitter end.  ;D  The auctions that end at odd hours I usually lose because I generally chose conservative bids and someone (or many) trump it, often by quite a bit.

I have never sold anything on Ebay.

Brian

Hi Folks,

So, I buy and sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. Ok, I buy more than I sell, but I do go through runs where I'll sell a dozen items at a time or so on Ebay.

I'm curious what makes buyers do what they do, so this is what I'm wondering:

When you buy an item on Ebay, do you...

1. Pay for the item as soon as possible after the auction is over, or if you select buy-it-now do you continue with the couple extra clicks to pay for the item in full immediately?

2. Wait for the seller to send you an invoice, and pay that invoice a day or two later or whenever?

3. Communicate with the seller to arrange a different form of payment (other than Paypal).

I'm just curious what your normal is...lol.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:40 AM »
Well, I'm happy to see these replies...I don't feel so alone now...lol.

I always pay immediately if it's a buy-it-now, or as soon as possible after winning an auction...like you Brian, I'm usually watching them very closely and place my final bid in the last few seconds (when possible).

However, as an Ebay seller, things are not as simple. With all of the sales I have done on Ebay, I can say with no BS that a solid 50% of buyers, and maybe more, must be "harassed" to make payment.

Perhaps I'm a little impatient, but it's just one of those things I just don't get...lol. It isn't K-Mart...when you select Buy-It-Now, you're not putting the item on Lay Away...lol.

I'm waiting for $1200 between two different buyers in California. One item was won in the auction, the other was a buy-it-now. Buggers...lol.

I guess that's my rant for the day;).

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
Always pay asap, and always invoice quickly. Just don't know when CRS is gonna hit..  :doh:
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:55:38 AM »
+3 or 4 Pay immediately.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »
Ebay ranks right up there with Facebook for me.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:23:55 AM »
Ebay ranks right up there with Facebook for me.

I hear ya Gary! It is actually a tremendous pain in the butt for me to sell stuff on Ebay, but it is the lesser of my available evils. My local market is far too small and far too cheap to be able to sell anything....well, to sell anything easily at least.

In order to sell anything within any kind of reasonable time, I have to sell it in the states. Canada, although huge as a land mass, still only contains fewer people than the population of the state of California alone...lol. On top of that, I'm 1000 miles east of where the bulk of the population is.

Anyway, it's one of those things that I deal with...lol. If I could sell everything via motorcycle forums, life would be golden...it doesn't get any more convenient than that.

On a good note, I sold two items yesterday and the buyers paid immediately. For that, I also shipped the items immediately. One box to Florida, and another to western Canada. Both items were on the way within hours of receiving payment.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
Pay right when I buy it.
Having said that I bid on an item last week, went on vacation a few days in Vegas. While there I won (surprisingly).
So I didn't even know it until I got back at such time I paid.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
Another point, I ether use "Buy it now" or I don't bid on anything until the last 30 seconds.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
If the purchase is clear and concise, I will pay imediately.

If the puchase involves some caveates like buying multiple items from the vendor, or actual shipping charges, etc., I will wait for an invoice and then pay ASAP.

Of course you do have to realize that there are folks who use the internet as a convenience instead of a lifestyle.  They might only check their email once a day or two.  Might lead busy lives and have many irons in the fire.

I prefer to buy from vendors instead of individuals.  Those transactions have always gone smoother than buying from individuals.

When I do consider buying from an individual or a used item from a vendor, I ask questions in an attempt to eliminate any assumptions about the product under consideration.  Their responses determine if I continue towards a transaction or not.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:42:08 AM »
I only buy the buy-it-now, not the bid items, and I also pay right away.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
I have my reasons, but no Ebay for me.  I also refuse to use PayPal. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline DucRider

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
I have my reasons, but no Ebay for me.  I also refuse to use PayPal.

I do use Ebay and Paypal....but i have heard horror stories from friends & family....however that is another different thread...
I Read More than i Post.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

I do use Ebay and Paypal....but i have heard horror stories from friends & family....however that is another different thread...
By the time this hits page two it'll be all the same.

...and here we are... :)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
I pay for stuff right away.  Or as soon as reasonably possible in the event of an auction.  Because I want my stuff (and a tracking number) ASAP.  In a couple of rare events, I've waited a couple of days to pay after an auction, but that was because I was awaiting a paycheck deposit.  That's really rare, though. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »
Pay as soon as I click buy know.  If I am bidding on something I really want I watch it closely, if I win, I click on the pay button and get it over with.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
Pay right away. I have rebuilt two Connies with the forums and Ebay and paid with paypal. Never a problem. Also farkled the s**t outta the 14 and no problems.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »
Pay right away. Ebay tracks your payment history and rates you as a buyer for sellers.

I like to get it paid asap, so that it helps expedite the shipping!

I bought something on there just yesterday, auction scenario, won the item.
The item I bought happens to be about the last of its kind, since the mfgr. stopped making them last year. No stores have them for sale anymore.

I usually save a lot of $$ on stuff bought there. Most offer free shipping.

Only been burned once, and that was a C14 Sargent seat I bought.

Other than that, I like it.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr