Author Topic: Fuji lock nuts for exhaust header  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Fuji lock nuts for exhaust header
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
I seem to recall reading about installing Fuji lock nuts in place of the OEM nuts (on the exhaust headers)...I did a search for Fuji and came up empty...does anyone have a source/size so that I can get some...thanks
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline AaronJM

Re: Fuji lock nuts for exhaust header
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
I replaced my header nuts with Fuji-loks last fall. So far so good; they finally stay tight. I can't remember but I think I bought mine from JP Cycles.
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »
J&P seems to gouge on the shipping and handling.  I just paid $9.99 for the Fuji Lok nuts and $9.75 for S&H.  Oh well, if it keeps my header nuts from coming loose I guess it will be worth it, but that seemed  pretty excessive for a package that weighs about two ounces.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
I think I got mine on amazon for cheaper with shipping.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
How about these...

McMaster-Carr 93795A230 M8.0 Oval Locknut

Don't look that pricey and you get a lot of them...

They ain't Fuji but they do the same thing.  Can be reused up to three times.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
If by oval they mean the nuts with the dimples that distort the threads I'd recommend against them as the distortion will damage the threads on the bolt or stud.

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
you may want to simply look at a large hardware store that carries a large fastener selection. Not a Home depot or lowes but a specialty hardware store. I have bought the Fujis in larger sizes for my klr axles at just such a place near me in the brookhaven section of atlanta.

Make a few calls and you should score them way cheaper than almost 2 bucks apiece after freight.

By the way, this brings back memories of the old way of making nuts stay in place.....safety wire. We used a lot of it prepping race bikes for the W.E.R.A. series back in the 80's. still have the spinner pliers and a can of the stainless wire down on the bench. pretty dusty though.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
HA...I got you all beat...since I am a design engineer for a major automotive company, I contacted my fastener supplier and requested some free samples
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Z71

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
If by oval they mean the nuts with the dimples that distort the threads I'd recommend against them as the distortion will damage the threads on the bolt or stud.

What I did is this:  I left the original nuts on and bought a set of thin jam nuts from Ace Hardware  for about $2 and installed these on top of the existing nuts and tightened them against them.  There was enough thread on the studs to thread the jam nuts on fully. This way no thread distortion and easily removable.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance.

Can you guys tell me the part number of the header bolts?  I have an idea what the header bolts are, but not 100% sure.

here is the link to the engine parts diagrams:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-kawasaki-zg1400a9f-concours-14-abs/o/m17971#sch580621

thanks,
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
T.S.R.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »