Author Topic: Stock Header installation, How do you do it?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Johninnh

Stock Header installation, How do you do it?
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Hi Everyone. I recently had my cross over pipe rot away. So, Ebay'd a new set of headers, dropped the old set and now need to install the new. Here's the problem or maybe my misunderstanding it..

As I take the new pipe from an 04 and set them under my 03 I join them loosly in the cross over. I hoist them up and the dont exactly line right up. Is it normal? Do I take the front and guide it to the exhaust port as bet I can and loosely fit the flange, then take the rear support bolt and hang the rear, then walk the front in adjusting as I go... So far this is one pain in the butt. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

John ;D

Offline redzgrider

Re: Stock Header installation, How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
It's been a few years since I had mine off for ceramic coating, but I recall it going pretty much as you describe, fit the cross-over, hang the fronts on the studs, loose fit the rear mount, and then the flanges. Don't forget to check for the port gaskets -- flat copper in the exhaust recesses. If they aren't there, you'll have to buy or make new ones. Hold loose gaskets in place with a dollop of heavy grease -- it will burn off once you are running.

Offline Johninnh

Re: Stock Header installation, How do you do it?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
Thanks, The darn pipes are not exactly lined up so it looks like I'll have to wrestle them in a bit. I assume if I have them in the port holes the flanges will help walk them in?

John