Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53644 times)

Offline Tremainiac

Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
$25,000 and up

For that kinda dough, I'd get 2 leftover 09's with farkels, leave one in the crate for when the wheels wear of the first one.
Transfer farklels.  8)
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
For that kinda dough, I'd get 2 leftover 09's with farkels, leave one in the crate for when the wheels wear of the first one.
Transfer farklels.  8)
That's the truth! The very reason I'm not on a BMW today? Bang for the buck landed me on the C14
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
For those willing to spend money FYI, BMW locked up CycleWorld's critics in both sport-touring and touring!  http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/ten_best_bikes_2011
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
I have to say that when the BMW factory demo truck comes through Colorado again I will definitely take the K1600GT and GTL for a ride. I took the K1300GT and the K1200LT for a ride before buying my C14. Both excellent bikes with vastly different attributes but in the end the C14 offered more bang for the buck.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
Budget bike <---seems we all agree thats what are bikes are.  I may have to let do of some cash one day for on the fly adjustable suspension, headlight technology, KiPass that works panniers and all, and just overall good living. Maybe as soon as I start having trouble with mine (never, with KiPass!)

Some prefer a nicely equipped suburban over the escalade too....  just sayn'
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
For those willing to spend money FYI, BMW locked up CycleWorld's critics in both sport-touring and touring!  http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/ten_best_bikes_2011

That is so stupid- there is no difference between the GTL and the GT (that I can see) except the GTL has a top box.  Big whoop!  They act like it is a different bike.

Me thinks they have been paid or something for that listing.  I will grant the K1600 as perhaps the best TOURING bike, but I don't think it beats the Concours as the best SPORT Touring bike...  even if you discount the INCREDIBLE difference in price (and price *has* to be part of the "best" computation for any rational person).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
That is so stupid- there is no difference between the GTL and the GT (that I can see) except the GTL has a top box.  Big whoop!  They act like it is a different bike.

Me thinks they have been paid or something for that listing.  I will grant the K1600 as perhaps the best TOURING bike, but I don't think it beats the Concours as the best SPORT Touring bike...  even if you discount the INCREDIBLE difference in price (and price *has* to be part of the "best" computation for any rational person).

Totally different bikes between the GT and GT L.  Starting with weight, options, luggage configurations, seats, fuel tank, windscreen, and more stuff than i cant spend all night typing.

Compared with the C14 is has a lot more and costs more. i think it deserves to be on top, even if its not "practicle" or best "value" play, its on top.

GT trumped the jap sport-tourers, and the GTL TOTALLY trumped the Goldwinger.

Offline MIST

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
I guess you know there is no drain plug for the oil on the 1600 GT or GTL.

Yes, there is a drain plug. Actually, there's two of them.
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline Makz58

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I think it flattering that they would compare the Beemer to the humble Connie because in my opinion (2 cents) they should be comparing the Beemer to the Goldwing or full dresser bike.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Totally different bikes between the GT and GT L.  Starting with weight, options, luggage configurations, seats, fuel tank, windscreen, and more stuff than i cant spend all night typing.

???  Totally different bikes?!?!  Same engine, same dash, same frame, same body, same exhaust, same injection, same intake, same transmission, same battery, same alternator, same tires, same wheels, same handlebars, same mirrors, same lights, same drive, same brakes, same suspension, same cooling system, same electronics, same mirrors, etc, etc, etc.  It is just a different trim level!

Granted, I am no expert on the BMW line, but from the specs I was able to get from the "compare" on their site, there was literally nothing different listed (except weight from the trim differences).  From other sites, what you said was all I could find- larger tank, different seat, top box, taller windshield, and handlebar extension.  If that makes for a different model, then my bike is no longer a Concours GTR1400 :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
I think it flattering that they would compare the Beemer to the humble Connie because in my opinion (2 cents) they should be comparing the Beemer to the Goldwing or full dresser bike.

I think that BMW KNOWS that they have a home run here.  Over the last few years they have worked very aggressively at losing the uber snobby, conservative image.  I mean they actually SHOW their bikes doing wheelies!  I can assure you that you would have NEVER seen ANY thing like that 5 years ago (even if they had a bike that would do it back then)

They aren't challenging the Goldwing crowd, they know that you are either going to ride a BMW or a Wing or a Harley in THAT market.  They are seriously aiming at us.  They 'tweeners' that generally have money, and spend it on what they like.   BMW is VERY interested in the SPORT touring part of the market because my grandpa tours on a wing.  I ain't my grandpa!

I've drooled over the 1600 since I first saw the spy photos.  I had my LT and loved it for the most part.  Two things that sour me on BMW.  One they are so damned expensive, and you NEVER can get ANY money back out of them!  and B.) they are so damned expensive to RIDE!  Their service intervals are excruciating.  It also seems that BMW got the memo on this one, they made the 1600 so flippin complicated that the average guy is going to need a year's worth of training to learn how to change the oil!

One last thing, I felt VERY comfortable riding my LT with my sport riding buddies.  I sold mine with several scrapes on the mid-fairing just below and forward of my knee where I had it over and scraped the fairing in the twisties.  It maybe was more like an El Camino rather than a Light Truck, but I rode it hard.   It's no CBR, but it is/was a very capable bike when you put the screws to it, and I expect that the 1600 is if anything MUCH better than the LT!

Alas, I'll never own another BMW.  Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
Yes, there is a drain plug. Actually, there's two of them.

Shades of C10,  Batman! 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
$25,000 and up

Jeremy - the GT starts at just a hair over $20,000.  A loaded GT or GTL just barely breaks the $25K mark.  They are actually not that badly priced.  Even at the base price of around $20k they have standard cruise-control, heated seats an grips for instance.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 05:54:30 AM »
???  Totally different bikes?!?!  Same engine, same dash, same frame, same body, same exhaust, same injection, same intake, same transmission, same battery, same alternator, same tires, same wheels, same handlebars, same mirrors, same lights, same drive, same brakes, same suspension, same cooling system, same electronics, same mirrors, etc, etc, etc.  It is just a different trim level!

Granted, I am no expert on the BMW line, but from the specs I was able to get from the "compare" on their site, there was literally nothing different listed (except weight from the trim differences).  From other sites, what you said was all I could find- larger tank, different seat, top box, taller windshield, and handlebar extension.  If that makes for a different model, then my bike is no longer a Concours GTR1400 :)

Some of what you say is true and some is not.  Handlebars are different, suspensions are different, exhaust is different, seats are different and probably a few other things I've missed.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »
The 1600GT is the sport-tourer, the "GT-L" is the luxury (competes with Goldwing).  Two different bikes, riding styles, configurations, and purpose although sure they share they same engine and dash and such.

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
I would like to see kawasaki redirect some of that top end power, in favor of more low and midrange monster grunt. how much time do we spend above 100mph. that's my 2cents

a full system/PCV and flies out really kinda fix the power curve issues.......and the heat issues......and help on the weight and MPG.......only hurts the pocket book a bit.....

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »
Jeremy - the GT starts at just a hair over $20,000.  A loaded GT or GTL just barely breaks the $25K mark.  They are actually not that badly priced.  Even at the base price of around $20k they have standard cruise-control, heated seats an grips for instance.

I have seen the GT start at $20,900, but I was told that after all the fees the out the door price is closer to $25,000. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Sofa King

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Look, here's the deal for me in a nutshell; call them bargain bikes, jap crap, poor mans tourer, whatever, I've never been impressed with spending more for the sake of belonging to a click of riders.  I have owned probably a dozen bikes in my lifetime.  All Asian makes, and that's on purpose.  Usually it's two fold; 1. They always start.  Period.  2. They are usually cheaper to buy and keep maintained.  I DO consider value long term.  I DO appreciate the vehicle more because of that perceived value.  Perhaps that's old fashioned?  Not sure.

The BMW crowd is exactly like the crowd I hung around growing up as the kid of a guy who sold European cars.  They were all convinced the European cars were better than the jap copies.  The Jap car didn't have 'soul'.  pfffttt, whatever.

Every single British car my Dad has ever had, or has ever worked on is actually a pile of junk.  They actually rusted from the factory.  They had to fix them off the delivery truck.  They were really just crappy cars.  But they had something about them that ALOT of people really liked.  But to me, they just looked neat, sounded cool (when they ran), but were really just a big hole to throw money into.  The first car I bought with my own money was a 1990 Honda Civic Si.  Now that little car didn't just have a Soul, it had a heart. 

Every bike I've had from Japan has been the same.  They are simpler bikes.  But I subscribe to the KISS philosophy. 

I suspect the BMW is a wonderful bike.  Like I said, I had an 86 BMW 325, and I loved that car.  But I would have traded it in a New York minute for a Datsun 510.  It's simple, Japan build machines that are build to last.  My wife owns a 2003 Honda Accord.  I swear to god it's as good as it was the day we bought it brand new from the lot.  We've replaced tires, oil and a battery in that time.  I am pretty sure any European make you want to mention couldn't hope to accomplish the same.

Different strokes, different folks.  I liken it to buying a Harley to be in HOG.  ppffffttt, whatever.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
You are Sofa King right.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
BMW "Click"? I agree to disagree. The BMW is more bike.  Maybe a little more bike for much more money and not a value play, but the bike is more and deserves the credit the mags are giving it for being on top this year. 

Buit I expect this forum (like the Suzuki and Honda forums) to be biased, and even call the BMW riders clickish and such for a feel-good.  Personally I'd rather ride my C14 bike too but I can't knock a manufacturer for being on top.

And if anyone is wondering, a BMW GT can be had for the price listed if you negotiate write. Same with a jap bike, sure there are fees and such, I flew to NJ to avoid all that on mine and get lower than sticker. Same can be done on a Triumph, BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, or any other brand thats been cutting into the jap sales consistently over the past 5 years.