Author Topic: Brake pad replacement  (Read 632 times)

Offline jdaugh

Brake pad replacement
« on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:59 PM »
Hi, I just got a 2010 c14 abs with about 19k miles. The brakes are squeaky and the front pads look thin. I'm not sure about the rear. Are there squealers like cars have? Where should I buy pads? Do I need to scrub the rotors if I assume that the pads on there are original oem, and replace them with same? Thank you for any help!

Offline cmoore

Re: Brake pad replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:53:32 AM »
I go with EBC's. When I had stock rotors I had some squeal issues but got them to quiet down with some brake grease on the back of the pad. When I switched to EBC rotors no more squeal. Murphskits.com sells the EBC pads at a decent price.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:30:21 AM »
I think he means squealers that warn of low brake pads. There are none fitted to motorcycles as the calipers can be seen easily.
Once you get down to 2mm or less of pad material visible, get new pads and fit them.
Plan on cleaning up the caliper whilst you have the pads out, and before you push the pistons back in to make room for the new pads.
At that mileage those will be the OEM pads and the squeal will be due to pad vibration.
When you fit the new ones, put a thin smear of copper grease on the back of each pad to prevent that.
Also consider cleaning the brake rotor bobbins as they get stuck with the OEM rotors.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 03:31:12 PM »
Thank you! Excellent tips. I never knew what a bobbin is! If I get OEM pads, is cleaning the rotors imperative? Or maybe just a little wipe with brake parts cleaner?

Offline cmoore

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 05:06:28 AM »
Thank you! Excellent tips. I never knew what a bobbin is! If I get OEM pads, is cleaning the rotors imperative? Or maybe just a little wipe with brake parts cleaner?

Brake parts cleaner and a scotch pad will work.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 01:56:44 AM »
You may not need to clean the bobbins, but with the OEM rotors I strongly recommend it.
I used spray brake cleaner and an allen key that just fitted inside each bobbin. Others have used a bolt & nut to turn the bobbin.
If you twist the allen key whilst pushing it off-center it grips the bobbin and allows you to turn it.
Once it turns freely, move to the next bobbin. You'll be surprised at how much crud comes out with just the spray.

The Kawasaki OEM pads are good but quite pricey.
The EBC HH or SBS HH (Street) pads are better, cheaper, and will last just as long.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK