Author Topic: clutch lever pivot pointe  (Read 2965 times)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
clutch lever pivot pointe
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
My clutch lever has up and down play. On the connies is this the norm or does the bronz bushing at the pivit point wear out if so is it replaceable.  If you go with the knock off chinese levers do they come with new bushings?   Thx Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: clutch lever pivot pointe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
The Chinese knock offs do not need bushings and they fit pretty good with out them.
You can press out the stock bushings and flip them over and spin them 45 degrees  before pressing them back in and they will be better than new because they will be using   fresh new non-worn surface areas. You can also not press them all the way back in but leave just a little hanging out to take up any slop and get them to a state of perfection.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »
The Chinese knock offs do not need bushings and they fit pretty good with out them.
You can press out the stock bushings and flip them over and spin them 45 degrees  before pressing them back in and they will be better than new because they will be using   fresh new non-worn surface areas. You can also not press them all the way back in but leave just a little hanging out to take up any slop and get them to a state of perfection.
Nice info.  WooHoo more weekend projects
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
D-Mike,, You da man,   I think Maayyybeee too much Steve in Sunny Fla is rubbing off on yu. But thats a good thing. Ha.  Great info luv you long time Now hurry up and send me the pics of the dang 4/1 pipe before I have to come down there and take a pic for myself.  Have a great weekend. Regards Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
I put a thin coat of solder onto the parts and refit them. Poor mans babbit bearing fix.

When I was 17 a local mechanic showed me how to fix my engine. First fix was to repair damage from broken piston rings by putting the piston onto a lathe and cutting the land so two rings could be stacked. Then he took the loose wrist pins and put a coating of solder onto them then drove the pins back into the pistons. That old 62 Ford six was so quiet.....he also fixed the stripped oil pump drive in the bottem of the distributor by soldering it in place. Ran for years like that.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
I went to Michael's (you know, that craft place that your wife drags you through) and bought some aluminum paper looking stuff and cut shims out of it, wrapped them around the shaft and slid it back together.  Worked well.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
I put a thin coat of solder onto the parts and refit them. Poor mans babbit bearing fix.

When I was 17 a local mechanic showed me how to fix my engine. First fix was to repair damage from broken piston rings by putting the piston onto a lathe and cutting the land so two rings could be stacked. Then he took the loose wrist pins and put a coating of solder onto them then drove the pins back into the pistons. That old 62 Ford six was so quiet.....he also fixed the stripped oil pump drive in the bottem of the distributor by soldering it in place. Ran for years like that.

Nice... Did you soak the head gasket in water and reuse it?
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
all great ideas and forever learning tools again much thx fellas.  Regards Steve

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
Nice... Did you soak the head gasket in water and reuse it?

Don't be ridiculous! Everybody knows you just have to smear heavy grease on both sides to reuse a head gasket.....sheesh kids these days.....