Author Topic: Sorry, just have to ask!  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Sly

Sorry, just have to ask!
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »
I have two questions from the more experienced owners. First, I have had a few drops of oil fall from the front left side of the engine. Twice since I have owned the bike (C14 2012) very minor but I was wondering if it’s « the O’ring thingie seal » ? Second question, when the « damn I’m outa gas » warning light comes on, how much gas is there in the tank? Don’t want to experiment :yikes:
Thanks everyone, great forum, learning lots and I love this machine!!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Sorry, just have to ask!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:26:05 AM »
Valve cover gasket most likely. One point one gallon left.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
"damn I’m outa gas » warning light comes on"

That thing is a major pain in the a$$ and dangerous IMO. It doesn't go away, it's so annoying your tempted to reach through the handle bars to try to push the buttons to make it go away. And if you don't make it go away it keeps drawing your attention away from the road. Last but not least, just when you need it the most, the range function is not useable. Do yourself a favor, click the link below and get rid of that low fuel warning BS forever.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13852.0

Offline jwh20

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
I have two questions from the more experienced owners. First, I have had a few drops of oil fall from the front left side of the engine. Twice since I have owned the bike (C14 2012) very minor but I was wondering if it’s « the O’ring thingie seal » ? Second question, when the « damn I’m outa gas » warning light comes on, how much gas is there in the tank? Don’t want to experiment :yikes:
Thanks everyone, great forum, learning lots and I love this machine!!

Are you sure it's oil?  There is a fuel drain hose that will leak some usually dirty/oily looking fluid when the gas tank is mostly full and it gets hot from riding or sitting in the sun.  It's easily mistaken for oil but smells like gasoline.  That's normal for a small amount under the right conditions.  But if oil, that's not normal unless you've overfilled the oil sump.  Could also be leaking out from the oil filter or the drain plug.  Check both.

Offline garfield1974

• Kawaski GTR 1400 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
About 4 liters when light starts blinking.  ;D

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
Another 2012 with a leaky valve cover gasket, welcome to the club.  Had mine replaced by the dealer during the winter.
More than a gallon remaining when the low fuel warning appears.  You can make that go away by pushing the bottom button while holding in the top one.  That makes the red light come on, but you get your display back.

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
Buy BDF's gizmo to solve the distance to empty display. That's what I did, and I really like it.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Sly

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Thanks everyone, will keep an eye on this.... a gallon eh! good to know, good for 40-50km before  :hitfan:

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »
...when the « damn I’m outa gas » warning light comes on, how much gas is there in the tank?

Owner's Manual, pages 41 & 42:

Reproduced from the FREE Online Owner's Manual available from Kawasaki:
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/VIVehicleInformation/VItechpubs.asp?intCatalogID%3d2%26CatalogTypeID%3d4%26ProductTypeID%3d8%26ModelMarketingID%3d453%26ModelCode%3dZG1400CBF%26ModelYear%3d2011%26SHOWVEHTABS%3d1
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
Thanks everyone, will keep an eye on this.... a gallon eh! good to know, good for 40-50km before  :hitfan:

I get that far when driving normal towards hard. If you are on the highway or taking care of the fuel, you can easily make it 70-80 km. I never exceeded that, and I never refueled with less than 0,5 lt in the tank. Only once in the south of Croatia I was forced to make 90 km with the red beacon on. I refueled 22,7 lt  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Sly

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
Owner's Manual, pages 41 & 42:

Reproduced from the FREE Online Owner's Manual available from Kawasaki:
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/ ::) ::)/VItechpubs.asp?intCatalogID%3d2%26CatalogTypeID%3d4%26ProductTypeID%3d8%26ModelMarketingID%3d453%26ModelCode%3dZG1400CBF%26ModelYear%3d2011%26SHOWVEHTABS%3d1

Thanks, my connie didn't have the manual when I bought it.... I guess i will have to look into that too  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
No manual?  :yikes:    ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
google search the shop manual 2010-2014 concours14
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
google search the shop manual 2010-2014 concours14

I think you mean owner's manual.  That is what is supposed to come with the bike, is free, is available online, and has instructions on how the bike works (although it is Engrish, not English).  The service manual/shop manual is not free, does not come with the bike, and does not have instructions on how to drive the bike and use the features (although it is in proper English).

It is here, sorta:  http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1748&lang_code=EN  You can't just download a nice PDF like in the past for some reason.  I uploaded and attached the older 2010 version to this message.  The stitched-together newer 2013 version is larger than the board will allow for an upload (36MB instead of 24MB)  I thought Jim was supposed to create a place for it somewhere on the forum somehow.... from this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13431  In any case, the 2013 version of the manual is the same as the 2012/2011/2010 version, it just has a few revisions in it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sly

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
No manual?  :yikes:    ;)

No sir, but thanks to the ENORMOUS information on this sight, well I’m getting by quite well, Thanks  ;)

Offline Sly

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »
I think you mean owner's manual.  That is what is supposed to come with the bike, is free, is available online, and has instructions on how the bike works (although it is Engrish, not English).  The service manual/shop manual is not free, does not come with the bike, and does not have instructions on how to drive the bike and use the features (although it is in proper English).

It is here, sorta:  http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1748&lang_code=EN  You can't just download a nice PDF like in the past for some reason.  I uploaded and attached the older 2010 version to this message.  The stitched-together newer 2013 version is larger than the board will allow for an upload (36MB instead of 24MB)  I thought Jim was supposed to create a place for it somewhere on the forum somehow.... from this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13431  In any case, the 2013 version of the manual is the same as the 2012/2011/2010 version, it just has a few revisions in it.

Done!!!!! Merci