Author Topic: Problem with my cage. knocking  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Elfmaze

Problem with my cage. knocking
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »
Hey guys,  I figure all biker are mechanics right?     MY cage is having some issues and i posted up on fullthrottlev6 for some help.   

full post:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?69340-UGH-Spontaneous-loud-valve-tapping

What does that video sound like to you guys?

Son of Pappy

Re: Problem with my cage. knocking
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »
I'd start with the exhaust, sure sounds like a leak to me.  Either loose or cracked manifold.  Any loss in performance or funny pulses?  Find a good hill, come to a stop, and slowly add throttle, all you're doing is adding a load to the engine slowly, see if you get any hiccups.  Hiccups may indicate a leak and caused by bad readings being sent to the ECU by the 02 sensor.  Next step would be using a mechanics stethascope, less then $10 at an auto parts store and easy to use, start at the point of noise and narrow it down to where it's the loudest.  If it aint the exhaust I would guess it's the valve train, maybe a collapsed valve spring, if that's the case get it fixed quick, you really do not want to drop a valve.

Hope this helps,

Chet

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
I'm guessing that engine has a pushrod valvetrain. Sounds Like at least 1 lifter is bad or blocked oil, possibly bend pushrod. First thing you should do is find where the OP sender/switch is, remove it, then install a pressure gauge and measure oil pressure at idle and at about 3000 RPM. Don't trust the dash gauge. Next thing you could do is, while running, start pulling spark wires off each cylinder, one at a time, to find out which jug it's happening to. This is just a starting point as someone else may have more experience with that particular motor. The pressure reading will help point you in the next direction.
Just my $0.02
-Rich

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
I'm guessing that engine has a pushrod valvetrain. Sounds Like at least 1 lifter is bad or blocked oil, possibly bend pushrod. First thing you should do is find where the OP sender/switch is, remove it, then install a pressure gauge and measure oil pressure at idle and at about 3000 RPM. Don't trust the dash gauge. Next thing you could do is, while running, start pulling spark wires off each cylinder, one at a time, to find out which jug it's happening to. This is just a starting point as someone else may have more experience with that particular motor. The pressure reading will help point you in the next direction.
Just my $0.02
-Rich
Good thought, I've heard some lifters do the tap, but never that loud, but most definately possible.
OP, if it aint the exhaust, try this.  Do a good engine flush, afte the warmup and let the flush work its magic for a bit, another short warmup, drain thouroughly, add oil and new filter, see if the noise went away or got better.  Idea is to flush the hydraulic lifters allowing oil to do its thing.  If the oil passage is blocked the lifters won't pump up, resulting in a loose pushrod, which would result in noise :)

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:06:41 AM »
Whats weird is that when we parked the car the night before it was fine.  So something happened either as it was shutting down or when it started the next day.   

As i was checking the fluids I found a film of oil in my radiator too.....  but the engine oil is still ok so the leak is pushing into the coolant. 

I'll start pulling plug wires next.   

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »
I pulled the plug wires off the coils one at a time.  No effect on the sound,   Took a stethescope to the two banks and exhaust and couldn't find a decernable volume change. 

Its coming from deeper in the motor possibly?

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
Coolant leak at the intake manifold into the engine, coolant strips the oil off the crank bearings.....engine rebuild time....chased this before on Fords and Chevs....isn't a typical crank knock where a rod has let go or is about to.

Only other thing to check is the flex plate bolts on the transmission and see if they have backed out or the flex plate is cracked....

As always your experience may vary....wish mine did....

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »
car also needs new tires and brakes this year,  rear end whines, seat leather is shot,  and the drop top is starting to fray.....   :-\   I think she might be coming to an end game.  Jasper wants $2500 for the engine alone.  cars valued at just over $3k

I can hear the faint sound of the TAPS starting in the distance.....