Author Topic: Fitting C14 shock to C10  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Bowf

Fitting C14 shock to C10
« on: July 01, 2023, 04:19:26 AM »
I am replacing the crappy OEM shock on my 2006 C10.

After trawling through various forums, I decided on a C14 shock and managed to get a nice used one from a 2008 bike. I like the idea of some extra ride height. It will also be easier to get the bike onto its centre stand, although I understand the side stand may need lengthening.

Anyway, it's not plug-and-play as someone somewhere seemed to suggest. This C14 shock has 10 mm holes top and bottom. My C10 has 12 mm holes, and a massive 20 mm hole on the right side at the bottom to take the strange-shaped bolt with the grease nipple.

I'm getting someone to make me a 10x20 mm bushing, 30 mm long which should take care of the lower mount. For the top, I might drill the top hole out to 12 mm.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 02:04:13 PM by Bowf »

Offline Bowf

Re: Fitting C14 shock to C10
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
Managed to get the C14 shock fitted today, will post some photos later.

The top mounting was a bit of a problem. The metal sleeve through the C14 bushing is 2 mm longer than that on the C10, so that needed filing down. As mentioned above, the same sleeve should ideally be drilled out to a 12 mm diameter. But I don't have a 12 mm drill bit, so instead I modified a couple of washers with collars which I had lying about to allow the 10 mm bolt of the C14 to fit snugly in the 12 mm hole through the C10 frame.

I fitted the shock with the bike on its centre stand. Rather amusingly, I had to let most of the air out of the rear tyre to get the dogbones lined up with the holes on the linkage!

With the shock fitted, it's very very easy to move the bike onto its centre stand. In fact both wheels stay on the ground, The side stand is way too short now though, I'm currently resting it on a 2" thick piece of wood.

One question : if I compress the shock spring, does anyone know if the lower shock fork can be turned round 180 degrees relative to the top? The adjusting hose comes out on the left-hand side of the bike and it might be better if it was on the right.

Offline Bowf

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 06:40:03 AM »
Some photos. Third photo shows tight bend in the adjusting hose.

Fourth one shows both wheels firmly on the ground when bike is on centre stand.

Can anyone help answer my question above? Note the bottom fork is not symmetrical and interferes with the linkage arm if reversed. You can just make that out in the third photo in my original post.

I've asked same question in the C14 forum.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:42:38 AM by Bowf »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 07:32:10 AM »
I fitted the ZZR1200 shock to mine. Works well and not as long as the GTR1400 shock so the centrestand is still usable.
It also didn't require the 12mm hole at the top and I used the ZZR1200 bush and bolt for the bottom mount along with 2 large washers to hold the grease seals in place.
Hopefully the 1400 shock spring will compress/sag a little with use.

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Bowf

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 12:00:44 PM »
The good news is yes, the top of the C14 shock can be turned round.

According to others, the C14 shock is a huge improvement on the OEM. However, some work is needed.

The rear is at a good height for me, but not for the stands. Rather than get the stands lengthened, I'm probably going to look at some lowering dogbones next.