Author Topic: A bit of extra ATGATT for male riders  (Read 9309 times)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
A bit of extra ATGATT for male riders
« on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
As many of you know, the cursed downward-canting Concours seat dumps you forward, resulting in uncomfortable pressure on private parts in the nether regions. On my last BRP trip, I had occasion to contemplate this problem for hours on end. Here's what I've come up with.

A jockstrap with a hard cup, the kind of thing you might use when playing hockey.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Hard-Cup-With-Supporter-7185-Adult-Medium-32-34-Waist-/360480982026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee57440a
It may provide a bit of extra protection in a crash, but it's really for comfort. The seat pressure is applied to the torso by the edges of the cup, the contents are unaffected.

Tried out a test ride today, jockstrap and bicycle shorts under jeans, I think it's an improvement.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Mettler1

Re: A bit of extra ATGATT for male riders
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
  Funny it has never really bothered me. Guess my problem is smaller than yours. :(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
  Funny it has never really bothered me. Guess my problem is smaller than yours. :(

That's not really very funny is it?  :o
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »

I dunno, it may be that our's is sooo large that we have a bigger cross sectional area to spread the pressure. ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
RIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTYY RITE....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
George...DAYUM...get a different seat already...

DAYUM!

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
Why the lack of support for this idea?    ::)
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline redandblack

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
I had a wreck with my 99 Concours on Nov 12th, when a woman pulled out right in front of me while I was doing 40mph.  Bike slammed into her front fender, and before I took off into the blue yonder I slammed into the tank with my family jewels.   When I landed on the pavement, I couldn't sit up since my groin was so sore.  4 days later my testicles were swollen like plums and black and blue. The black and blue continued into the shaft itself (sorry for being graphic, but it is what it is).  After 7-9 days things started looking normal again.  I got a look at the bike and the rear of the tank had a nice dent from my groin.  I absolutely would recommend padding in this area of your pants.   
PS:  Back of the ambulance humor:  "just how do you cure aching balls?  Ice?  Time?  and one of the squad guys says DIVORCE".  Somehow even with a broken wrist I laughed hard at that one.  Joe

Offline SimpleSimon

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
Why the lack of support for this idea?    ::)

A guy tries to be helpful and people start busting his balls!  ;)

You people are nuts........
2008 Concours 14
2002 954RR

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
I thought it was a good idea, but the cursing of the Concours seat lowered my confidence in the post.  I believe the seat is perfect for the riding position. 

I sat on a buddy's bike with a Corbin seat and the seating position would have required the Helibars with their 6 inch extra pullback to be comfortable.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
twowheel,

Not everybody wants a "kick back with their feet up" riding position.
Nobody that I know who does big mileage days likes the bars in their lap.
Maybe a more athletic position works better for long than for short distance?

Lots of things are comfortable over short distance...but only a few when the days get long.

My comment meant that wearing George's armor was a bandaid fix to the stock seat slope problem.  The real fix is to ditch the seat.

My Corbin has proved comfortable on more than a few 1000+ mile days.  A few of them 1000+++.
Stock bars on the C10, no risers.  Maybe the C14 is different...but a forward sloping seat is the problem, not the lack of armor for the jewelry.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
twowheel,

Not everybody wants a "kick back with their feet up" riding position.
Nobody that I know who does big mileage days likes the bars in their lap.
Maybe a more athletic position works better for long than for short distance?

Lots of things are comfortable over short distance...but only a few when the days get long.

My comment meant that wearing George's armor was a bandaid fix to the stock seat slope problem.  The real fix is to ditch the seat.

My Corbin has proved comfortable on more than a few 1000+ mile days.  A few of them 1000+++.
Stock bars on the C10, no risers.  Maybe the C14 is different...but a forward sloping seat is the problem, not the lack of armor for the jewelry.

The forward sloping seat on the 1400 places your body in the correct position for the the stock handlebars and pegs.  If the seat were flatter you would have to bend your back to reach the bars instead of having your back in the natural arch.  Also, with a flatter seat you end up sitting on your jewels to reach the bars. 

It is a sport touring bike.  You use your legs and core muscles when riding a sport bike.  I don't understand why those who want a flat seat and pull back bars and lower pegs don't just buy an adventure tourer instead of a sport touring bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077