Author Topic: Is a crush washer required for oil drain plug  (Read 16223 times)

Offline bhodge10

Is a crush washer required for oil drain plug
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
It's for an 08.

Offline Spanky

Re: Is a crush washer required for oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
I install a new one every oil change.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
To replace the old one?  52000 miles and only on second washer and that was only because I installed a mag drain plug.  Nary a drop leaked.  Maybe it's a combination of KIPASS and the Lucas full syn. I run ;D  I do check it each time I change the oil.

Offline mike

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
They cost something like 30 cents each...... why wouldn't you change it?

Offline Spanky

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
I agree, it is probably not necessary to change each time, but for a few cents I know I get a good seal each time. You could probably use the original one for a long time and have no trouble, just something I prefer to do.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
They need to be changed?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
They need to be changed?

It is pretty standard practice to replace oil pan crush washers with each use.  That said, I rarely replace them and have never had any leaks.  They are cheap and easy to replace, but can be a hassle if you don't have one.  Generally, nothing bad will happen, but they are designed to deform with each use, and at some point will not seal properly.  This is why most manufacturers call for replacing them each time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
put me in the camp of always replacing the crush ring...they are so cheap...why not replace it...sometimes I get them thrown in for free when I buy the filter.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
Almost not needed whatsoever IMHO, maybe after about 10 oil changes I would install a new one.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
They need to be changed?

Only when you lose them.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline m919

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
yes...
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
Only if you're one of those crazy people that follow the service manual and use a torque wrench. Otherwise, just trade it in every few years and let someone else spit out pieces of their broken luck!
2008 C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Only when you lose them.....

Right on!   :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Only when you find it in the drain pan after you have already installed the bolt with the new fluids... >:(

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
I didn't think so and haven't used one in quite a few oil changes.  The other day I found an oil lead from the drain plug.  Got me a mess of crush washers, actually brass seal washers from McMaster Carr and installed with just a little loss of oil and the leak has stopped. Now I have enough for 150,000 miles   ;)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Z71

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
The term "crush washer" is incorrect.  It is just a plain flat aluminum washer and you need to replace it only if you see a visible groove cut in it by the drain plug bolt head.  This should not happen if you do not overtighten the drain plug.

A "crush washer" is one that actually flattens as you tighten the drain plug.  Many Nissan vehicles have those.  I have it on my Suzuki Bandit 1250S.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
The aluminim washer on the drain plugs on C-14s really do 'crush' or deform. Mine are original and are now extruded enough that the washer does not turn or move against the screw, and it is getting a bit bigger in diameter too.

Nothing wrong with changing them but I have not done it yet and no leaks so far after something like 25 oil changes.

Brian

The term "crush washer" is incorrect.  It is just a plain flat aluminum washer and you need to replace it only if you see a visible groove cut in it by the drain plug bolt head.  This should not happen if you do not overtighten the drain plug.

A "crush washer" is one that actually flattens as you tighten the drain plug.  Many Nissan vehicles have those.  I have it on my Suzuki Bandit 1250S.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline booger

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
To replace the old one?  52000 miles and only on second washer and that was only because I installed a mag drain plug.  Nary a drop leaked.  Maybe it's a combination of KIPASS and the Lucas full syn. I run ;D  I do check it each time I change the oil.

You only changed your oil twice in 52000 miles? ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
You only changed your oil twice in 52000 miles? ;)
Heck, my first change was under a hundred miles on the odo, I used a coffee filter to see shat came out, lots of silver color for sure, I dumped the still good oil in the backhoe and some nice fresh Lucas full syn.  I change the oil as soon as shifting starts feeling notchy or before a big trip.  I also change after a hard day at the track, WFO, brakes and back to WFO.  Repeat.  Sometimes we even blow by the man made coned chicane at lunch time.  Makes for some quick laps and gets the heart rate up there.

O, I use the Harley method, add as needed :P

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
The OP asked if a crush washer is required, the asnwer is yes, as stated by m919.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn