Author Topic: Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots-Review  (Read 4095 times)

Offline xsv

Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots-Review
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
Like everyone else I have been trying to find the "perfect" boot.  Waterproof, cool in the summer and warm in the fall.  I read quite a few reviews and then forked out the $350 for a pair of boots.

The boots were stiff and felt extremely big. My feet felt like they were swimming inside.  A pair of insoles filled in some of that space and made the boots much more comfortable. It is hard to believe what they include as an insole on an expensive boot.

It took several hundred miles before my boots really felt comfortable and flexed in all the right places.

I just returned from a trip from Washington State to the Grand Canyon, over to Vegas and back up.  During that trip I got rained on for 3 hours.  Rode in the desert in 100 degree weather and then only days later 31 degrees.

First the rain.  I got rained on heavily for 3 hours.  My goretex gloves weren't so hot, but my feet stayed both dry and warm during the ride.  The boots performed as I expected them to in the rain. 

When I got into Arizona I got to experience 100 degree weather and the heat from my 09.  Living in the Pacific Northwest I never really understood what you guys were talking about with the 08-09 heat issue.  I now understand.  The heat was rolling off of the engine.   My shins did not burn and I was pleasantly surprised that while my feet were definitely warm, they were not sweltering in those boots.  I was wearing just a plain pair of black mid weight cotton socks. ( After that experience I know what my next $49 heat resistant foam farkle will be :))

The boots, once broken in, were decent to walk around in and didn't feel big and clumsy. 

Several days later on my return trip I found that I did not bring enough gear.  I was making good time in the middle of the night at 80mph on back desert roads, but I was freezing.  My fingers were numb in my goretex gloves and my feet cold as hell.  When I finally stopped and checked my app for the temperature...it was 31 degrees.  I would speculate that a decent pair of wool socks would have helped considerably.  I don't tend to ride when it is under 40 degrees so I am not too concerned. (It should be noted I was glad that I did not have the foam inserts in the tupperware to divert the heat..I wouldn't have been able to insert my hand in the fairing in a feeble attempt to save my fingertips from frostbite :'()

So is this the perfect boot? That remains to be seen.  I am happy with how it has performed.  The true test will be how long they last and how they wear over time.  If they hold up at least a person can justify spending the money for the boot.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots-Review
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »
My only complaint with Goretex boots is they make my feet sweat big time, regardless of the advertising claim, and after a long day on the bike, I have to remove them OUTSIDE a motel room and air everything out before exposing my wife to the malodorus result. Actually any boot I've tried will keep my feet dry enough if treated with waterproofing products.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline xsv

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:45 AM »
I will have to try the over treatment procedure with my gloves.  I can't find a pair of gloves that won't soak through.  I have found that the "waterproof" label on the side of the gloves really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot ;)

My only complaint with Goretex boots is they make my feet sweat big time, regardless of the advertising claim, and after a long day on the bike, I have to remove them OUTSIDE a motel room and air everything out before exposing my wife to the malodorus result. Actually any boot I've tried will keep my feet dry enough if treated with waterproofing products.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
I have a pair of Joe Rocket winter gloves (think many, many ounces of Thinsulate) which have done very well in the rain.  However, they're quite hot when the temps come above about 55*, so not so much luck as a summer glove.  Heated grips usually solve any issues with cold(ish) hands due to rain soak.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Locol

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
I have a pair of the Sidi On Road's and really like them while on the the bike. They are kind of "Frankenstein like" when used for just walking around. They do offer good protection from the weather and are built to take a beating on a get off. I also have a pair of Alpinestar Web GoreTex boots. The Alpinestar's are much more comfortable as an all around boot and are much easier for walking around. Both are good boots.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
Sidi <-----when second best boots won't do.

Track boots that is, I've no experience with their sport touring line
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stewart

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
For anyone looking at boots my recommendation is try many on. SIDI didn't fit the shape of my feet and a few Alpines didn't either, so more features/$$$ is not always better.

I have the Alpinestar MX-5 Rain boot and it meet my min requirements and fits great once I took the insole out.

Breaking in nicely now.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline r2t2

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
Alpinestar Web-Gore-tex boots... Seem to to work fine in the rain, in the heat and when it's not too cold. I find that good M/C socks help quite a bit. As for rain gloves. I have a pair of Alpinestar touring gloves that have an attached rain cover that is stored in the gauntlet. They're old... So I take real good care of them.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i