Author Topic: Busted Rifle base  (Read 3807 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Busted Rifle base
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
Somebody posted up a link on ebay for a busted Rifle base.  I jumpep on figuring what the heck.
Damage was not pretty, but not horrific either.
Two corners were busted out.

I cleaned up the corners with a dremel.

I cut small pieces of weld wire and I melted them into the cracks
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Busted Rifle base
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
Next I shaped in one of the bad corners.

I mocked up a big piece for the other corner

Welded it in and shaped it.

Cleaned up the weld a bit

Almost finished, I still need to mark and drill my hole.  The repairs feel quite strong.    I figure some plastic texture paint or bed liner will give me the texture to blend it all in
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »
Our very own Michelangelo (Snarf) has created yet another masterpiece! Talk about taking sh!t and making shineola! Great job, as usual..
If you are going to start cutting shortie screens for the Rifle, let me know!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
Our very own Michelangelo (Snarf) has created yet another masterpiece! Talk about taking sh!t and making shineola! Great job, as usual..
If you are going to start cutting shortie screens for the Rifle, let me know!
I'm thinking this is going to be my base for an adjustable shield.
Thanks Jim
2002 Conc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »

:goodpost: :thumbs:

That's way I have him on a retainer.  ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
 ;)
Chris:
Nice work and thanks for posting with pictures. I like the welding wire for re-inforcement. I've used window screen material [a little more flexible for fairing repair, but not as substantial as welding wire], but the wire is a better choice for what you're doing.

Thanks again,
Bob Young

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:57:39 AM »
;)
Chris:
Nice work and thanks for posting with pictures. I like the welding wire for re-inforcement. I've used window screen material [a little more flexible for fairing repair, but not as substantial as welding wire], but the wire is a better choice for what you're doing.

Thanks again,
Not completely my idea.  Someone posted a link a while back about a fancy plastic welder that inserted wire into the weld.  I am a Connie owner so you can guess that I didnt buy the gizmo.
The wire works awesome.  I thought about getting creative and weaving it back and forth in the cracks. I opted to just keep it simple;  I bent the weld wire in a horseshoe and just melted it in.
Thanks for the compliments....this was my first time doing plastic repair 
2002 Conc

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
Nicely done, as always  :thumbs: I've played around with some plastic repair in the past, my weapon of choice has always been JB Weld.

I remember the post for the fancy gizmo you speak of, it was one of our European visitors to this site, no? Sig maybe?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »
Yes, thats who I was thinking it was. Wasnt sure though.
2002 Conc

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
 Great job, and it looks good. Question I have is where in the heck did you get the extra plastic?

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:41:26 AM »
Great job, and it looks good. Question I have is where in the heck did you get the extra plastic?
when life gives ya lemons; make lemonaid. I just happened to have lots of small plastic pieces from the front of my truck after I hit the dear  :(
2002 Conc