Author Topic: Just got an '86  (Read 1059 times)

Offline mrhedges

Just got an '86
« on: February 07, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
Hello,

I'm Hedges. I live in New Orleans. Back in Nov my much loved but well-worn '81 Suzuki GS850G was stolen from my driveway. I found a '86 Kawasaki Concours on Facebook market place from a friend of a friend, for 1,800k. I figured I'd get the suzuki back trashed and have another bike to ride while I fixed it. Well, I still haven't gotten the Suzuki back  :(  but I do love this Concours. It's amazing how much more advanced it is compared to my old bike. I've been telling my friends I ride a space ship now (it's silver so that helps)

It's a bit rough around the edges, a previous owner cut down the windscreen (which I sorta like) and some of the hardware on the fairing is missing so it's a bit rattly at higher speeds. I got new luggage because one of the pieces was missing. It had about 9k miles when I bought it now it has just over 10K. The guy I bought it from rebuilt the carbs with bigger jets, so it starts instantly and runs great but returns like 30 MPG which seems bad even for a big bike like this, the exhaust also smells rich. I'm also gonna change the oil soon. But once the weather warms up I'm excited to take it out on long trips, maybe to NC.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Just got an '86
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Just got an '86
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »
I had an 86 and cut my screen down. I sold it to a guy in New Orleans back in 2000. Was thinking may be you ended up with it but I had 48,000 on mine when I sold it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.