Author Topic: Billionaires getting divorced  (Read 1672 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Billionaires getting divorced
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
Why am I sad that Bill and Melinda Gates, two billionaires, are getting a divorce?

I thought they were going to make it. And so late in life too. They seemed like a happy couple.

I think I am saddened because this could mean some shaky times for their Gates Foundation. This Foundation has been a great help to many, especially in the developing countries.

Anyway, I learned a lot about computers on an old PC running MS-DOS v3, 33mhz, 20MB HDD with 2MB RAM. My first programming language was BASIC/QBASIC.

Say what you will about MSFT, I still have a soft spot for Bill.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Billionaires getting divorced
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:47:55 PM »
<Ctrl-Alt-Del>

<End Task>

<Reboot>
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:10 AM »
Whilst it's sad that any couple get divorced, people change and moving on is sometimes the only way.
The foundation is going to continue and both of them have said that they will work together on it so it doesn't sound like it'll be a "nasty" divorce.

It'll be interesting to see if the press/media let them get on with it, or try to build a mountain out of a molehill.
Undoubtedly the latter as it sells advertising, but they may be wary of the Gates's lawyers.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:15:45 AM »
Couldn't have happened to a better couple.  Maybe Bill will stop killing children in foreign countries now.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »
I haven't done a <Ctrl-Alt-Del> in many years. That is an improvement.

And WTF Turbojoe?!?!?!?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
+1 what turbo joe said, simply put, he's used his money and influence to do some insidious things I don't agree with, and if I have a bit of schadenfreude over it, I am unapologetic. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »
Let's explore this a bit...what things has Bill Gates done (other than windows) to either further killing children and other things.  I really want to know.  Did a rudimentary search on Google but nothing really came up.  Personally I'd like to know and this isn't going to the Arena yet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 12:04:54 PM »
Wait a minute here....

Insidious things? Like what? This is the first I have ever heard of Gates doing evil things the two of you are alluding to. With all the people that do not like msft out there, and corporate warfare, you would think any and all bad things a big CEO like Gates does would be public news.

+1 what turbo joe said, simply put, he's used his money and influence to do some insidious things I don't agree with, and if I have a bit of schadenfreude over it, I am unapologetic. 

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:04 PM »
Well, for one, if you are a gun owner, you should already know his stance on guns and what his foundation does and contributes to ending gun ownership in this country. That's just one, I could go on, but theres not enough room here nor do I have the time to explain the problems I have with his giving millions to groups and candidates that want to destroy this country and gut our constitution. I shouldn't need to point as anyone who has kept up on what he has given to and who he has supported would not be asking these questions.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
The only thing I found on guns and Gates is that he and his wife donated a million to Washington state to expand background checks on buying guns at firearm sales at gun shows and online.  I certainly don't have an issue with background checks on weapons buyers.  I own weapons and it doesn't bother me at all.  If it keeps weapons away from known criminals, mental incompetents, and spur of the moment buys with the intent of killing someone sooner rather than later what's wrong with that?  If you are a lawful abiding citizen I don't think that restricts you from buying a weapon.

Is it any more than that or am I missing something?

And if a challenge is issued for that and the Supreme Court either upholds or strikes down, I'm ok with that as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »
I admit I have not watched where every penny has gone but I generally know many of his big projects. I know he has not given out anywhere as much money for gun control projects as he has for many medical and livelihood projects. I don't disagree with the Foundation that there should be stricter gun but this is a futile exercise in America until we get rid of useless states like ND, SD, WY having 2 senators each for a handful of people. Those assholes are holding up the people's agenda.

But I don't see any insidious things. Conspiracy talk?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
you asked, I told, call it what you want, support him and his causes if you want, call me and people from fly over states what you want, your choice and I'm ok with that, but watch what you ask for.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »
Melinda probably told him he can’t go on his yearly vacations with his girlfriend anymore so he’s divorcing her.😂

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
I am very much NOT a fan of Microsoft.  They have done lots of very nasty things to their customers, to competitors, to the free/open source software movements, etc.  Although they have been a LOT better over the last few years on that.

But despite that, I wasn't aware of Bill's foundation doing anything bad (anti-rights).  Generally I am in tune with such stuff (for example you will NEVER see me wearing Levi's or Nike).  What I remember most from his foundation is fighting malaria (and the mosquitos that carry it), which kills just gazillions of people.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »
I admit I have not watched where every penny has gone but I generally know many of his big projects. I know he has not given out anywhere as much money for gun control projects as he has for many medical and livelihood projects. I don't disagree with the Foundation that there should be stricter gun but this is a futile exercise in America until we get rid of useless states like ND, SD, WY having 2 senators each for a handful of people. Those assholes are holding up the people's agenda.

But I don't see any insidious things. Conspiracy talk?

What's insidious is people with the mindset that others are worth less because they are 'holding up the people's agenda'. What people and what agenda are you speaking of?

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 05:27:40 AM »
There all conspiracy theories until there proven TRUE!

https://www.albawaba.com/node/has-bill-gates-foundation-been-testing-vaccines-people-india-and-african-continent-1386565

https://www.wakingtimes.com/the-bill-gates-effect-whos-dtp-vaccine-killed-more-children-in-africa-than-the-diseases-it-targeted/

And why does he need so much farmland?  To control the food supply, for what?  Just because you haven't figured out he's EVIL, doesn't mean it's not true.  Did you know his father ran planned parenthood when it started and was a Eugenist?

https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/bill-gates-is-the-largest-farmland-owner-in-america-report/

https://www.ccn.com/bill-gates-conspiracy-theorists-might-not-be-as-crazy-as-you-think/
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »
There are rumors he has a financial stake in the Moderna lab.  Also supposedly has ties to thinktanks that explore population control.  Or so I'm told.  I don't care enough to look up whether it's true or not.  I'd also heard about using the poor in India and China as human guniea pigs to try out vaccines.  Again- not going out of my way to prove or disprove those rumors either.  I also don't pass them along so just back away from the keyboard all you self-appointed paragons of internet truth.  Jim asked what things some one had heard.  The sort of things mentioned^  Now go decide if they're true or not. No need to report it back here because..well, it's beer & Netflix time.  And I don't care.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 06:32:12 PM »
I’m sure he might have some financial interest in one or two or all of the vaccines. His foundation did assist in mass production. But I don’t think the other thing Can be true.

The farmland thing is true. So maybe he’s going to do some population control via farmland control. That’s my conspiracy analysis for the night.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:50 PM »
Nothing wrong with population control. Should have been instigated 3 or 4 billion ago.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 07:26:29 AM »
Imagine that!

The same old tired cast of characters with their conspiracy theories and zero proof. A couple of em are missing but I'm sure they'll be along soon enough...

I heard a rumor...

Supposedly...

I'm told...

I don't have time to show you the truth... (plenty of time to spread unfounded rumors though)

Blah blah blah
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn