Author Topic: Engine mounting bolts  (Read 1653 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Engine mounting bolts
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
How the heck do you get to it and what do you use and what size? I am trying to torques the bolts. I can tell it needs it but I can't get wrench to the nuts.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Engine mounting bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
Try a very long extension from the opposite side to get to the nut.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
I use a 3' extension and sometimes a u-joint.  Just depends on if I can get it wiggled on there or not.  Size depends on if it's stock or with tip over bars.  I don't know about Murphs, but Skip used SAE sized bolts for his mounts.  It's not uncommon for previous owners to have replaced the OE screws with SAE bolts either.

Make sure they're properly shimmed too.  If there's too much gap the engine hangs on the bolts and will eventually break 'em.  If you try to torque until the gap is closed, the bolt will stretch, the engine will hang on the stretch bolt and...  Just shove in the thinnest washers you can easily find that'll fit over the bolt until you can't any more.  Then torque the bolt.  The spec'd place to put the washers is in the front left (as sitting on the bike) mount.  Torque the others first, then shim the F-L and torque it.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline works4me

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
If we're talking about the inboard nuts, above the radiator,
I held mine with a 14mm box wrench while I torqued
with a hex bit from the outside.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Never was able to get a 14mm. Not saying it isn't that size, just couldn't get it in there. But I did manage to get it tightened. It wasn't super loose or anything but when I checked it, it did spin so I just wanted to get fully tightened.

Thanks for the advice.