Author Topic: Final Drive Case oil change procedure  (Read 5553 times)

Offline julianop

Final Drive Case oil change procedure
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
The Concours holy book - aka service manual - says to add a new aluminum gasket (I suppose it's OK to use an aluminium one if you're in the UK) when refitting the drain plug. Is this unconditionally necessary, and is it a purchased part or is a piece of kitchen foil sufficient?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Final Drive Case oil change procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »
I didn't even notice that there was one.  I just replaced the plug after draining.  It's not leaking, so I guess I didn't need to replace the gasket.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it. There is no pressure and I have used mine over since 1986 so far.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
The Concours holy book - aka service manual - says to add a new aluminum gasket (I suppose it's OK to use an aluminium one if you're in the UK) when refitting the drain plug. Is this unconditionally necessary, and is it a purchased part or is a piece of kitchen foil sufficient?

I use aluminum drain plug washers over and over again on both my bikes and cars, and as long as the face on the drain plug is smooth it won't mark the surface of the washer and they don't leak, and even if the washer gets a little step on it from the drain plug after repeated use, I'll just take the washer and carefully give it a few strokes against a piece of 320 grit wet & dry placed on my blanchard ground steel lapping plate I have, and its good as new again.  :)
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »
I have reused my aluminumm gasket several times now. Pushing 60,000 miles and no issues.  One note though:  Be very careful when tightening the drain plug and the filler plug.  The threads are easily stripped and diffcult to repair.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline julianop

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
Sounds like I'm over-thinking it, as usual ;-)
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
What everybody elde said. Watch the torque spec. inch pounds! I think the guys in the UK use Goober Newtons.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline julianop

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
What everybody elde said. Watch the torque spec. inch pounds! I think the guys in the UK use Goober Newtons.

Yes, and milliFerkins and gnats-whatsits for valve clearances...

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »
Make sure that the final drive is warm.
Take her for a 30 minute ride before draining.
Remove filler cap first
Remove drain bolt.
Once all oil is out refit drain bolt.
Refill until it starts overflowing. DO NOT rotate the wheel whilst doing this as that can lead to overfilling.
Refit the filler cap and relax for another 18k miles. Ah the joys of shaft-drive.  8)

As for torque, I use BST,...... Boomer Standard Torque. ("guddentight" in American)
In the UK we use any damned unit we like since we invented most of them.
We don't like to use Metric as the French invented it, but the EU says we gotta.  ::)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
I would not use the guddentight method as you will most likely strip those threads as they seem to be the most fragile of anything else on the bike I've found. Its a small bolt going into an aluminum case, very easy to strip. Just be careful and follow the torque specs.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
Tight is Tight & Broke is Broke.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
I read that in a fortune cookie once. ;D

Offline julianop

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »
Tight is Tight & Broke is Broke.

So what is gutentight?  Oh yes, that's a German vir... never mind  :o

I agree, Boomer, we are responsible for many atrocities meted out upon an unsuspecting world; but the Scots hold the cup for haggis: there's nothing worse than that, not even pub pork pies, which would outlast Twinkies and nuclear war.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.