Author Topic: Tire Mounting/Balancing Cost?  (Read 6854 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Tire Mounting/Balancing Cost?
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Local shop want $60 for the front and $83 for the rear.
$143 to mount and balance 2 tires I buy from them?

Offline throb

Re: Tire Mounting/Balancing Cost?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
That's crazy!  I had a rear tire mounted and balanced at a local Yamaha stealership for a V-Strom I had, it was $40.  This was a couple years ago and I removed and installed the rim/tire assembly myself, but I had checked around for the best price and everyone asked if I was going to buy the tire from them and if I did, mount/balance was free.  This only tells me they add the cost and tell you it's free.  Like that's a surprise!   :o
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »
My local shop just mounted my rear (TIRE ;)) as well. 40 bucks off the bike and bought the tire on line. Better shop around.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
This was wheels off the bike? Thats a bit pricey if it is.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
As we used to say in aviation: "SCREW THAT!".

That's the price of a tire, thrown away in labor you can do your ownself.

Coupla tire irons (Reusable next time)
Coupla beers (You only rent beer anyway)
Coupla wheel weights
Coupla hours
Coupla Band-Aids
Done did

OK, so the pics below are of the Wee-Strom, but the theory is the same (that's the theory anyway):

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline soonerone

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »
Removed the wheels from my '08 took all in to an independent shop here.  $60 for both for everything.

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
I also would check around. My friend owns a shop so he cuts me a break if I buy the tires from him.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

valkmc

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »
I got my new pr2s delivered today, I found a small local shop that will do both for $60 if I bring the wheels in off the bike. The tires cost $259 delivered.  Not sure about the shop, I am going to ask around before I use them. Thinking about buying a bead breaker from Harbor Freight and doing them myself. I have everything else I need. 

Bergmenized

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
My local shop charges $20.00 apiece for mounting and balancing and they match the lowest on-line prices. Can't beat that with a stick.

Dan

Offline George in N Az

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »
I bought a new front tire from the shop. I took off the front and took it to the shop. $28.00 for mount and balance. One shop want 40.00 front, 60.00 rear. I might try the rear myself. Break the bead and just cut the old one off.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline throb

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:48 AM »
What do you use to cut the old one off?  They have some pretty serious steel (?) banding in the bead area.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Ziggie

• Arena
  • C-10, V-Strom, WR 250R, 1200 Multistrada
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:44:41 AM »
Surf around the No-Mar website, good videos and you can pick up some good ideas about changing your tires.

My tire changing equipment has "evolved" over the years but they can be a one stop shop if you want to drop the coin.  I change about 5-6 tires a year (plus I usually end up changing out a few for friends) and I save about $50 a tire in purchase price and labor. 

If you live around St Louis, No Mar tire shop does not charge for mounting and balancing (off the bike), and their tires are reasonably priced.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
I know some of you guys hate dyna-beads.  I luv em.  they make balancing the tire so frick'n easy. Mount your tire, pour in the beads and ride.  I have had my bikes well above a ton and have never noticed any ill effects from the beads.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Bergmenized

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »
I know some of you guys hate dyna-beads.  I luv em.  they make balancing the tire so frick'n easy. Mount your tire, pour in the beads and ride.  I have had my bikes well above a ton and have never noticed any ill effects from the beads.

What happens when you go to remove a tire with dyna-beads, so they scatter all over the place? Are there any issues with plugging the Schrader valve?

Dan

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »
Buddy of mine used dynabeads and has had problems above 140 kph

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »
I used them on my Nighthawk and Connie. I love them. Since I had the Avon Azaro installed by the shop they don't have them, but the next time they will. Next year I plan on replacing the front tire and it will have them too.

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
Dyna Beads are fantastic and cheap for what they do. Putting them in my tires tonight before a 2000 plus mile ride.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
What happens when you go to remove a tire with dyna-beads, so they scatter all over the place? Are there any issues with plugging the Schrader valve?

Dan
They can get inside the schrader valve if you check your pressure with the valve on the bottom of the tire.  I have never had an issue and I forget to rotate my tire often enough when checking pressure. If they do get in there a shot of air cleans them right up.
If you loose some it's not that big of a deal they are cheap enough.  I either drill a hole in my old tire and pour them out or i steal a pair of the misses pantyhose and use them as a pre-filter on dustbuster. Suck em up and pour them out.

Here is a brief video:
DynaBeads demo video 
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:43 PM »
Arent those beads gonna mess with the tire pressure sensors

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Arent those beads gonna mess with the tire pressure sensors

Sorry, just noticed I was in the c10 thread...my bad  :P