Author Topic: The Kawasaki Concours 10 years later  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: The Kawasaki Concours 10 years later
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
Me.  And a lot less miles on it than I'd like.  But it'still running fine.

Mine is an '08 also (not original owner).  Despite my best efforts it still runs like a scalded cat.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:47 AM »
My first 08 bought new in 10/07 was running great when it was rear ended and totalled last month with 170,000 miles. I bought an 08 with 50,000 miles and it also runs great.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:32 AM »
I still have my 08 purchased in july of 07. I have not yet found anything that could come close to replacing it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
Quote from: Mike Nixon's Article
Of course the rider can also select between three levels of linking, with the choices basically maximum, middle (and variable), and minimal.

Dang!..cheated again..mine only has two. >:(

Judging by his website, Mike seems to be mostly a Honda guy writing about Kawasaki and having the expected accuracy in the facts.

This whole article is written by someone who knows nothing about the bike, but needed to get his name out there.

Misinformation is worse than no information.

Steve
True dat.

Now, here is what Mike thinks about Motorcycle forums  :D

Quote from: Mike Nixon
.......I find user forums guilty of misinformation on a grand scale, to put it mildly, .....

carbrebuilder@gmail.com is Mike's email, if anyone wants to invite him here to defend his article. I almost did, but didn't. :-\

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
I seem to recall that in the early days of HSTA (Honda Sort Touring Association) we had a member named Mike Nixon who was the technical editor for the newsletter.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Thanks for posting that link Marty. Actually, I basically agree with his assessment of forums, motorcycle and otherwise but have not quite reached the same conclusions.

First, yep, a handful of people who post a lot and show some <seemingly> level of ability or knowledge get bumped to GOO ROO status and that is unfortunate. The next step is that the pack mentality of humans kicks in and a ring of worshipers surrounds said GOO ROO and will rip the throat out of any that even appear to question the GOO ROO's 'pronouncements' never mind actually challenge them.

Of course that should not happen because 1) even smart people, and they are pretty rare IME, have a virtually infinite amount of things they DO NOT know. 2) Everyone makes mistakes, is wrong, and has wrong or just bad opinions and it is best if that was not blindly followed (see the 'Crazy Channel' for this idea run amok). and 3) ALL people should ALWAYS use the B.S. filters we call frontal lobes and weigh everything before it is swallowed, acted upon or just believed. This is the best and most stalwart defense against the mok- running GOO ROO but unfortunately, due entirely to what seems to be lazy thinking, it often is not used.

Now that said, I find forums invaluable in moving and gaining information, both directly from individuals, and indirectly through links, foggy memories, and all kinds of references. The key is to pick up the gems and leave the cat- box fillers behind. Or, separate the wheat from the chaff as the saying goes.

So yeah, forums can be 'bad' but only if the reader allows it. No one is held down and force- fed anything through a forum. And there IS good info. to be had, along with a few chuckles, an upset stomach and all the rest of what comes with rubbing up against humanity.

And just to add: this forum is excellent IMO and IME, and way back in the olden' days when the C-14 first came out, it was invaluable, to me at least, in learning about all kinds of things about this 'new' bike. A huge number of really beneficial contributors, all finding out things about the bike and posting them for everyone to see and know. Ya' just gots' ta' use it with care, like nuclear power, rattle snake venom and all kinds o' other stuff that is good but can have bad facets.

Brian (I ran amok when I was  first starting out: it was a small machine and it went muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck, muck)

Dang!..cheated again..mine only has two. >:(

Judging by his website, Mike seems to be mostly a Honda guy writing about Kawasaki and having the expected accuracy in the facts.
True dat.

Now, here is what Mike thinks about Motorcycle forums  :D

carbrebuilder@gmail.com is Mike's email, if anyone wants to invite him here to defend his article. I almost did, but didn't. :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »

Of course that should not happen because 1) even smart people, and they are pretty rare IME, have a virtually infinite amount of things they DO NOT know. 2) Everyone makes mistakes, is wrong, and has wrong or just bad opinions and it is best if that was not blindly followed (see the 'Crazy Channel' for this idea run amok). and 3) ALL people should ALWAYS use the B.S. filters we call frontal lobes and weigh everything before it is swallowed, acted upon or just believed. This is the best and most stalwart defense against the mok- running GOO ROO but unfortunately, due entirely to what seems to be lazy thinking, it often is not used.

Agree 100% . Question everything. Everything is a learning opportunity. If someone tells you something in a subject you're knowledgeable about, they should be able to be scrutized to see if they're onto something or not. We can all learn from each other, too, but we should stay in our own lanes when it comes to giving advise. And as far as someone who thinks out of the box, well it shouldn't be arbitrarly or summarily dismissed as illogical ramblings, because discovery starts with questioning everything and thinking outside the box.

As far as Mike Nixon is concerned, I guess maybe as long as misinformation is put elsewhere on the interwebz outside of a forum, ie his article, then it's OK to contribute to the misinformation cluster.

Steve