Author Topic: Dual Muzzy's  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Dual Muzzy's
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »
I bought the dual Muzzy's from Tim last week and they should be arriving soon. He gave me some great suggestions on the install like not putting the fairing back on and go ride it for 50-100 miles then re-torque the header bolts.

I am curious though. I will be leaving for my ride to Yellowstone -> Red Lodge -> maybe Glacier -> Silverwood for a coaster ride or two, in a few weeks and I won't have time to do anything with the ECM. Will it cause any problems with putting the duals on and not doing anything else for 3,00-4,000 miles?

Should I wait to put the duals on until after my trip? What else should I do once I put the duals on?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Oh ya, I will be selling my carbon-fiber AreaP slip-on for $380 once I get it off the bike. It has less than 2,000 miles on it. Anyone want dibs on it?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Dual Muzzy's
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
I bought the dual Muzzy's from Tim last week and they should be arriving soon. [...] I won't have time to do anything with the ECM. Will it cause any problems with putting the duals on and not doing anything else for 3,00-4,000 miles?

Is that with the stock header and with the factory cats still present??  If the answer to both is "yes", I don't think it will make much difference.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
Is that with the stock header and with the factory cats still present??  If the answer to both is "yes", I don't think it will make much difference.
How do you put dual exhaust on a stock header?

Full Muzzy set up.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9898.0

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
I wouldn't run it without either an ECU reflash or a PCV, it will run like crap if you do. If you can't do the reflash or PCV until you get back from your trip you should just wait to install the Muzzys full system until then.

You should also get a high flow air filter, there are a couple options available, I went with the K&N.

Don't forget to get new exhaust gaskets and also block off the air injection when you do the install, if you don't block off the air it will pop/burble on decel... See this link for directions: http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html

Congrats Gumbi on the new system bro, you're gonna love it!!  8)   :thumbs: :thumbs:   :chugbeer:

Next up for you is the suspension...  ;)   :stirpot:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »
fujilock nuts...set'em and forget'em

Are you not getting a PC3 or 5 with the system? Muzzy PC3 is P&P. PC5 with autotune requires a O2 sensor in the header pipe. Works very well.

A rule of thumb for me is no major changes if I don't have time to proof it before a long ride.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »

He bought the same setup I have Max, it's a full system, no cats.

Pics of mine at the below thread...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2617.0

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
How do you put dual exhaust on a stock header?

I have seen some strange stuff before :)

Full Muzzy set up.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9898.0

Thanks for the link to the answer.  Honestly, I am not/was not familiar with the product!  Nice looking design.  And so in this case, you could have a problem.  My gut instinct is that it would be a bad idea to make such a change right before a trip, and without a reflash or power commander...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
A rule of thumb for me is no major changes if I don't have time to proof it before a long ride.

My gut instinct is that it would be a bad idea to make such a change right before a trip, and without a reflash or power commander...

Probably some good advice to follow. Looks like the price of the AreaP may go down  :(

Not so sure I can head out on my bike knowing I have dual exhaust for it sitting in my garage. Might have to push the trip out a week or two.  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »
Probably some good advice to follow. Looks like the price of the AreaP may go down  :(

Not so sure I can head out on my bike knowing I have dual exhaust for it sitting in my garage. Might have to push the trip out a week or two.  :-\

:goodpost: :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »

Or, just borrow the one from Jays' bike, it's not like he's going to need it for awhile.  He can always ride his Gixxer.  ;)  Probably an air filter there too that looks like new.   ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
Or, just borrow the one from Jays' bike, it's not like he's going to need it for awhile.  He can always ride his Gixxer.  ;)  Probably an air filter there too that looks like new.   ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good point Rob!  :chugbeer:

Hey Gumbi,
I'll rent you my mapped PCV for $500 for 2 weeks bro...
Or better yet just leave me the key to your garage and when you get home the 3 kegerator's will be empty...  ;) ;D :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
fujilock nuts...set'em and forget'em" AMEN

I put a ZX header with out CATs  dual 2 Brothers and it was FINE don't waste your money like ZG :o
You will NEED ear plugs though .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
don't waste your money like ZG :o

:battle:

You can make more $ you know... What the hell other reason do we get up and go into the office 3 days a week...  ;)

Offline timbo

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Gumbi, you need to either have the ECU reflashed or the PC3 or 5 before you ride it or it will run like crap as ZG has said. I had the ECU reflashed and a K&N filter and plugged the air hose going into the airbox. Dynotronics did my reflash. You just tell them what exhaust you have and air fliter and he adjusts the timing and fuel settings for your set up. He also can adjust the rev limiter and a few other things. You can call him(Joe) and he can tell you all the things he does. The bike ran awesome!! The reason I went with the reflash is that it was a lot easier for me, since there are no dyno's around my area. Reflash is just plug and play.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
Gumbi, you need to either have the ECU reflashed or the PC3 or 5 before you ride it or it will run like crap as ZG has said. I had the ECU reflashed and a K&N filter and plugged the air hose going into the airbox. Dynotronics did my reflash. You just tell them what exhaust you have and air fliter and he adjusts the timing and fuel settings for your set up. He also can adjust the rev limiter and a few other things. You can call him(Joe) and he can tell you all the things he does. The bike ran awesome!! The reason I went with the reflash is that it was a lot easier for me, since there are no dyno's around my area. Reflash is just plug and play.

Since you are putting yours all back to stock can't we just trade ECU's?  ;D  Heck I'll even buy the K&N from you.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
After talking with Tim and then Joe from Dynotronics I decided on the reflash. I will install the duals when they arrive next week and ride it around until next Thursday( Dynotronics is closed until Aug. 6th).  Joe said it would not hurt to ride the bike with the stock ECU, it will just be running very rich. I'll get it back before we head out on my trip and be able to take a couple test runs around town.

Yep, a major mod right before a big trip  ::) That's how I roll.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :popcorn: :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

:battle:

You can make more $ you know... What the hell other reason do we get up and go into the office 3 days a week...  ;)

:rotflmao:

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn