Author Topic: Phil's rack availability during June / July '11  (Read 3639 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Phil's rack availability during June / July '11
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
I'll be on a road trip during June and possibly July. I will have a friend filling orders during that time but I won't be available to do any custom items or to answer questions. If you planned to order a rack that requires any custom work, please let me know before that time. I'll be checking email periodically but questions may not be addessed as quickly as I like. Phil
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Phil's rack availability during June / July '11
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »
Welcome to the new forum Phil, your rack is awesome!!  :thumbs:

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
I'm sorry as I'm sure this is beyond reduntant (sp?) for you but what is the difference between Phil's rack and the GIVI rack?   I am getting close to ordering a GIVI E55 and just want to make sure I get a mount that will support the case as well as a passenger if they choose to lean back for a while.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
DOCPIGSKIN: If you mean the Givi kit that attaches to the frame, I have not seen one, but from what I read they are very secure. It does not use the stock rack (tells you something) and instead puts another reinforced rack above the stock one. From posts on the forum, I gather it is a fairly complex, time-consuming installation. One the other hand, mine replaces the stock rack, uses all original hardware, takes 2 minutes tops, and has the rigidity of 3/8" aluminum plate. It is far stronger than anything on the bike that it attaches to. Maybe someone who has the Givi kit will comment.

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
Thanks Phillip, what is the price of your rack?   Time frame to get it once I order (i.e. assuming I order before your June trip)?

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
One more thing Phillip, do I understand it correctly that if I get the GIVI E55 kit and then order the rack from you along with the SW-MOTECH Kit, that it WILL then accomodate the wiring for the auxillary LED light kit or will it still NOT fit through the rack?
 "If used with the auxillary LED light kit, must be hard wired with a quick disconnect as the socket will not fit my rack. Can be mounted with the SW-moteck kit"

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
If you're referring to the quick disconnect that fits a recess in the bottom of the trunk and has a corresponding socket in the rack, It does not fit my rack. Unfortunately the placement of the hole for the socket comes out half on and half off one of the ribs. Just doesn't look good at all. A regular pull-apart connector works fine.

Without the socket connector the trunk/SW-motech kit fits my rack perfectly.

The color selections and prices are on my site, http://www.philsfarkels.com/ and I usually ship within an hour after receiving payment. Shipping is 2- 3 days via Priority Mail.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Phil, whats the word on the rack/backrest (pirate's)  you are working on????  was looking at the projectD and then saw a thread about your project a few weeks ago. is it up for sale yet??

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »
The first batch of production models will be shipped to Pirates-Lair next week and should be available for sale soon after. There are photos on his web-site.  http://pirateslair.net/ConcoursStealth.htm

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »
Just a reminder.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »
I'm leaving Monday for all States West of Tx. My friend Alana will be taking care of orders during my absence. She isn't really motorcycle literate but will try to fill all orders while I'm gone. It will help her if you keep orders simple and I will also be checking in when I can to make sure all questions get answered. I've boxed up a bunch of racks so there should be no delays in shipping. Thanks. Phil

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »
Phil, sorry to throw this in last minute, but I have a question. Is there any sort of upgrade path to take if someone already has your rack and would like to add the backrest? Will Pirates Lair sell just the backrest, without the rack? I guess I could also send my rack back to you for drill & tap if that option is available.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
The rack on the Concours sits pretty far back relative to the seat. Pirates-Lair wanted a rack that was as close to the seat as possible and he wanted the backrest bar to be as short as possible.  Pirates-Lair's rack has a machined aluminum channel welded underneath the rack to accept & secure the backrest bar, and there's no way their backrest can be made to span the gap between my rack and the passenger's seat. His rack won't accept a trunk since it is too close to the seat. It's really hard to have one rack doing both functions and have it look good. At this time there is no way to retro-fit his backrest to my rack.