Author Topic: Ohlins Shock Questions  (Read 635 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Ohlins Shock Questions
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
Love our connie.  My wife would like more comfort two up as we age but eschews the gold wing premise.  Have been looking at bikes and the only ones that interest me are street triple or z900. 

Have come to terms that our C14 with 50K miles on it is where I would like to stay for two up.

1) Know it will be great for one up sport riding, but will an Ohlins significantly change the two up experience for a pillion?  She prefers a soft, floaty ride.

2) Is it plug and play?  Including the preload knob?

I've always been pleased with stock so have never explored this before.  I guess if $1,000 will make this better, I'd rather do that than many $$ for a bike I don't really prefer.

Thoughts?

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Re: Ohlins Shock Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »
Another thing I am finding is penske options - and unable to find new Ohlins... so far. 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 09:27:19 PM »
they stopped making Ohlins for our bikes.. Penske is a good shock.. but you have to do the front too.. you cant just fix the back of the bike.  Talk to Traxxion about your options. and NO.. its not for sport riding.. its to make the bike glued to the road and not bounce the cr@p out  of the rider and passenger. Smoooothhhh....... The stock shocks and springs are rough on these bikes. i run AK20's and Ohlins... I was going to sell the bike up until I redid the suspension.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »
Another thing I am finding is penske options - and unable to find new Ohlins... so far.

Yea you won't find any Ohlins for C14 anymore, no longer in production. Unless you buy it already pre-installed on a used C14 or someone takes theirs off and sells it separately.

Otherwise your best options now which I've done like many others is to get AK20s in the front and Penske for the rear. Other option is to re-valve the stock and springs which a few have done to cuts costs.