Author Topic: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?  (Read 74225 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
Here is a dose of reality...........lets just say that Kawasaki does what some of you want, I will bet the farm that y'all will still bitch and find something to complain about. Just sayin....... 8)

Not so. No whining here. I've been saying I LOVE this bike precisely because it has a lot of hp. If they put in more of it I'd love it even more.

Offline stewart

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Here my opinion.....

I'm not in the more Horsepower camp for various reasons. I've done a couple of Trackdays now on the C14 and it goes plenty fast for its size and weight. Could it go faster yeah sure....it just needs a better rider, not more HP.

What I would like, which I think is inline with others on the board, is some innovation, versus raw Cubic Inches.

-- More touring features would be nice, but I don't want a GoldWing
    -- More torque, but I don't want weight. Would love a small forced induction system, ala supercharger like on their JetSkis.
    -- Improvements to brakes, especially their feel. The linking on this bike feels just odd.

I'm pretty sure the C14 market, in general, is not looking for more power. If they were, they'd be buying ZX-14, or Liter Bikes.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Spanky

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
I'm not in the more Horsepower camp for various reasons.

-- More torque, but I don't want weight. Would love a small forced induction system, ala supercharger like on their JetSkis.

I think we have a horsepower junky coming out of the closet! I don't want more horsepower, just a supercharger!

:D

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
Personally, I would rather have a larger gas tank than more HP an day. The only time I need more horses is when I'm racing, and I sure as hell don't race a Connie...

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Here my opinion.....

I'm not in the more Horsepower camp for various reasons. I've done a couple of Trackdays now on the C14 and it goes plenty fast for its size and weight. Could it go faster yeah sure....it just needs a better rider, not more HP.

What I would like, which I think is inline with others on the board, is some innovation, versus raw Cubic Inches.

-- More touring features would be nice, but I don't want a GoldWing
    -- Improvements to brakes, especially their feel. The linking on this bike feels just odd.

I'm pretty sure the C14 market, in general, is not looking for more power. If they were, they'd be buying ZX-14, or Liter Bikes.

First of all, a better rider on a slower bike can't beat the lesser rider with more hp.  But a better rider will still be faster on a faster bike.

Second, you may be right about a lot of owner not wanting more power.  But you are wrong about if they do they would buy a ZX14.  I have the Concours because I do 300+ miles every weekend and once a year do a 3800 mile or so trip in one week.  I can't get past the ergos of the ZX.  Three weeks ago I bought a Ninja 1000 to go with my other two bikes.  I thought I was going to buy a ZX14 as my third bike, but ultimately was still too concerned about the ergos.

Bottom line is this - if the Concours came out with 170 hp at the rear wheel I'd put my money down on a new one today - no B.S.  And I'm sure I'm not alone.  In fact, I'd bet that the guy I ride with (who has a 2010 Concours, Ninja 1000 and Ducati 1198S) would as well.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
Like with cars, people ask for horsepower and buy torque.

Generally true, but I like both.  I don't like a flat torque curve that falls off (which is what torque/no hp winds up with).  I like a car or bike that keeps pulling hard up the RPM range.  But I can't disagree with you as a generalization.
Jim
Current bikes....

Flathead

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

First of all, a better rider on a slower bike can't beat the lesser rider with more hp.  But a better rider will still be faster on a faster bike.

I would disagree in the twisties, agree in a straight line.  ;)

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
Personally, I would rather have a larger gas tank than more HP an day. The only time I need more horses is when I'm racing, and I sure as hell don't race a Connie...

BIINGO! ^^^ While I originally thought I wanted the ZX-14R engine I figure it would guzzle gas like a V8 Corvette. So in retrospect I figure I'd appreciate more touring comfort from a factory setup like Cruise Control, Heated adjustable Seats, and a longer touring range (aka bigger fuel tank). So I'm gotten off the I need more horse power bandwagon and have moved to the I need more factory options front. After all I'm not trying to drag down other liter bikes in a race, and I can already out pull just about any car on the road.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
The point is this, the original C14 was based on a ST version of the ZX14. Now they upgrade the ZX14 with some tweaks to the engine which can be applied to the C14 adding some gain in power/performance. Assuming its economical to only have to build one crankshaft and create C14 engines on the exact same assembly line of the ZX14R engine, Kawi can offer a bump in performance on the C14 for next to nothing in cost. I'm not saying I would sell my 2010 and plop down another 15K for a new one. But if I was in the market for a new bike I would be attracted by the increased performance. Isn't that what attracted you to the C14 in the first place? Yes I would be riding a ZX14R or some liter sport bike if performance was the only thing. But I want to ride 500 mile plus days with luggage for a comfortable 2 weeks. Satisfy that then give me all the performance you can. I think that describes a C14.

Lets see some hands, how many of C14 owners didn't care about performance when you bought your bike?

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Maybe Kawasaki will produce two different models of C-14's. 

One stock like it is now for all the weak riders who want a stock pipe on their bikes and never ever go over 70mph, and the ZX-14R engine for those of us who know that a .44 Magnum is much more fun than a .357 Magnum!!

You may not need the extra power...but it is damn nice to know it is there!!

" A man has to know his limitations"......Clint Eastwood.....1973........

Ninja

Ninjawarrior

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
The point is this, the original C14 was based on a ST version of the ZX14. Now they upgrade the ZX14 with some tweaks to the engine which can be applied to the C14 adding some gain in power/performance. Assuming its economical to only have to build one crankshaft and create C14 engines on the exact same assembly line of the ZX14R engine, Kawi can offer a bump in performance on the C14 for next to nothing in cost. I'm not saying I would sell my 2010 and plop down another 15K for a new one. But if I was in the market for a new bike I would be attracted by the increased performance. Isn't that what attracted you to the C14 in the first place? Yes I would be riding a ZX14R or some liter sport bike if performance was the only thing. But I want to ride 500 mile plus days with luggage for a comfortable 2 weeks. Satisfy that then give me all the performance you can. I think that describes a C14.

Lets see some hands, how many of C14 owners didn't care about performance when you bought your bike?

I bought mine knowing it was the current best sport touring bike out there, and pretty much was a no brainer that it had better brakes, suspension and performance than my last bikes. I wanted a touring bike that was comfy, handled great, good range and was reliable. Having the HP and performance this machine has was expected "and I am more than satisfied". Give me electronic cruise control, a bigger stator, and adjustable bars and I would be in heaven!!!!! This bike needs no more power output for 3/4 of the owners, especially for the reasons they bought it to begin with. So what else in this category is more powerful, refined or faster, at the price and options this bike comes with? What else has won more awards in that category than the C14 since it debuted? Give me more refinement and creature comforts, leave the damn engine alone!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

One stock like it is now for all the weak riders who want a stock pipe on their bikes and never ever go over 70mph, and the ZX-14R engine for those of us who know that a .44 Magnum is much more fun than a .357 Magnum!!

" A man has to know his limitations"......Clint Eastwood.....1973........

Ninja

Weak riders...........your a funny guy. ::)   I know my limitations and am 100% cool with that, do you honestly know yours? There are old riders and fast riders, but few old fast riders. I personally would take a .357 anyday over a .44 Magnum, for many reasons. And I will bet ya, that few riders if any on this site can ride a C14 to its potential in stock form. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
I would disagree in the twisties, agree in a straight line.  ;)

I think I said that wrong.  Let me try again - a better rider on a slower bike will beat a worse rider on a faster bike.   When I road raced back in the day I was on both sides of the equation at one point or another.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

Extremely unlikely

One stock like it is now for all the weak riders who want a stock pipe

Like I said before, there is nothing "weak" about a rider that doesn't waste money and time on replacing a factory muffler which results in nothing but a change in looks or sound.  Your postings are coming across as pretty insulting and/or "elitist"...

and never ever go over 70mph,

You don't have to grossly violate the speed limit to have fun.  It's called acceleration.  And, again, there is nothing "weak" about not wanting to ride 90, 100, or 120 MPH on public roads.  In many cases it could be extremely dangerous.  In all cases it could mean license revocation, huge fines, incredible insurance increases, and/or even jail time.   Responsible does not equal "weak".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
As an old, slow rider (not too old, not too slow), I wouldn't mind an extra 20-30hp in the C14.  OTOH, I so seldom use all of the HP, much less all the rest of the performance of the bike, so it isn't on my priority list.  Somewhere/somewhen over the years I learned to enjoy riding.  I still have my preferences, but I enjoy fast bikes and slow ones, new and old, large and small. 

Now that my eyesight, hearing and reflexes aren't as good as they used to be, I have to rely on experience, observation, training and judgement.  And riding is still as much fun as it ever was, but I no longer "have" to go fast to enjoy the ride.  These days, speed and power are dessert, not an addiction.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
I've yet to find a bike that will do every type of riding I'd like to do and do them all exceedingly well.  If you really want to get your speed fix, you should buy a sport bike and hit your local track days.  You can bounce off the rev limiter all day long in a safe environment off the streets.  And the bike will be designed as a package (suspension, geometry, power characteristics, etc.) for the exact purpose of going fast - straight line and corners.

Then when you get back on the C14, you'll truly appreciate it for what it is really designed for.

Trying to optimize a bike for too many things, and you'll end up with a machine that is mediocre in all those areas.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
I've yet to find a bike that will do every type of riding I'd like to do and do them all exceedingly well.  If you really want to get your speed fix, you should buy a sport bike and hit your local track days.  You can bounce off the rev limiter all day long in a safe environment off the streets.  And the bike will be designed as a package (suspension, geometry, power characteristics, etc.) for the exact purpose of going fast - straight line and corners.

Then when you get back on the C14, you'll truly appreciate it for what it is really designed for.

Trying to optimize a bike for too many things, and you'll end up with a machine that is mediocre in all those areas.

Except for 1 bike......the new Multi-strada!!!!! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline KawiG

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
Shouldn't the overall weight and tire size be considered in the total hp put into a motorcycle? Seems it would be more productive over all for Kawi to start a weight loss program" higher hp to lbs ratio=Faster"  that would easily lead to more power being responsibly placed into the c14=even faster..and even more$
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
I wish they would offer an S model, even if it was only special order. ZX engine, Ohlins suspenders, Brembo brakes, NICE looking exhaust, etc. I am not sure how that would affect the logistics and manufacturing costs, but that would make one cool old-man sport bike. Comfortable seating position, hard bags, wind protection, and asphalt ripper all in one package!  :D

I think a small sector of the market would support the higher price point. People are spending big bucks already for set ups similar to this. I agree the Ducati is probably the closest thing to that and I think they are around 23K? Not sure about the price, but I just can't get past that big ol' beak sticking out the front.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »
Fearless prediction: Kawasaki will do just what they did with the C-10 in my garage.  Keep making the same basic machine with a few upgrades every few years.  No blowers, no $23,000 S option, no 1441 motor.  I wouldn't mind being wrong about that last one, BTW.

Weight loss would be VERY nice.  BUT.  Do what Kawasaki does and look at the competition.  All huge and heavy and fast.  Until somebody raises the bar, no reason for anybody else to worry about weight.  You think somebody has to be first...and why not Mama Kaw?  Because nobody will.  Trend is toward bigger, heavier bikes.  And riders for that matter.  Carrying bigger GFs and more stuff. 

Better rider ALWAYS gets away from better bike in the twisties.  Racing 101.

NW1400, keep posting up the great stuff.  What a tool.  Compensating, are we?  Never grow up! 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!