Author Topic: top speed  (Read 82624 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: top speed
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 06:44:31 AM »
Today, 140, 4th gear........ and I liked it  ;D ;D ;D
I will be 57 on the 29th of this month, sometimes I think there's something wrong with me  8)

Nothing wrong with you that isn't wrong with the rest of us. Why else would we have a bike with 150+ HP? And why grow up anyway? I'm almost 60 and don't intend to start growing up now.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Mine was on a closed course, so I was perfectly legal.  Oddly enough, here in Utah, they have been kind enough to put in pavement right through the Bonneville Salt Flats. Two lanes eastbound, two west.

Well, we all were, right?

Anyway, 6th was good for near 140, or 7000rpm.   5th was right about the 150 area. Its higher altitude, here, so not as much power.   The bike felt so good it was never a scary or out of control situation. I picked up a bit of weave at 130 plus, so I took out a few turns of rear preload.  No problem after.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »
Racer Boy.
Smart move, on coming traffic is no fun

Old n Rusty
thumbs up to you,  do think I figured out what is wrong with me , thay is too many Isle of Man tubes on my 60 inch screen with surround sound...where's the popcorn. lol

Martin_14
mine is bone stock also but I had the rear trunk off. i tell the guys the same thing I used to tell them when I would blow them off with my Triumph Rocket 3, not bad for an old bagger huh?

Connie 14boy
I think you have the same bike as I do 2012 candy red I also been running the PR 2's, my is still bone stocks ready for some duels with a zx14 header and you are right  still pulling strong at 140 and oh my what a song song she sings

I should have added that I have an '09 in the fastest color(black), and travel mostly w/o bags- with bags on it will still do over 150 in 5th gear. I also understand the newer C-14's are speed limited.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
...I also understand the newer C-14's are speed limited.

Yup...154mph I think...I can't remember now, but it's in that ball park. I have the limiter in my 2010 disabled (well, in my spare non-stock ECU).

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline clogan

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
I've had her up to 90 a couple of times...had a pretty scary get off back in 2011, and I don't have the nerve I once had. I'm 63 now, and darn lucky to still be here. Here's hoping we all make it safely to whatever age we aspire to. Y'all be careful now!

:chugbeer:
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

Hi

Indicated 138 in 5th, the stock speedo is calibrated, not bad for a trike  :D
Reflashed ECU, custom exhaust, 3.62 : 1 diff at the moment.

Richard

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
130 mph, two up, bags at 20# each,shad 50 top box, guhl reflash, angel GT 55 rear in fifth gear.  Also I am 72 and wife is 68, been a passenger for over 40 years, 50th anniversary next year.

Offline tomp

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
135 in 6th going around a BMW rider, once.  Plenty left for a much higher speed, but didn't trust possible traffic, to continue.  These bikes are deceptively fast, even with side and top luggage installed and a tall windshield, too.  I'm 64.
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
I think the 08/09 models top out at 170 mph indicated...not sure what that is in actual speed;).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline tomp

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
I've read/heard the same thing, around 170.  Too fast for me, but not for many, I imagine.  Been over 160 in a late 60's Vette, but it had over 500HP.  Was a real thrill, way back then. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
120 mph for right now and that was going up a mountain road.what was scary it was so stable at that speed.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
With side bags and 42litre trunk stuffed, I took my '08 up to 164 indicated, w/ 158 indicated on the gps, and ran out of safe road before topping out (leo patrolled road in Va) was still pulling nicely around 8k in 5th, I'm sure it could have hit 10k, shifting int 6th it wouldn't pull hard, but still had legs left.

Same setup with bags on, and with momma, on an uphill at the Canaan Valley rally, we pulled 148 uphill pasing a truck / horse trailer combo, and it had plenty of steam left before the kidney punches from momma took effect....ouch. 8)

Stone stock bike except I trimmed the muffler down 6" .

About a month and a half ago, hit 170 on a rural Ohio road, I could see for about 3 miles, and there was no traffic... I saw headlights in the rearview about a mile behind me, mehhhh. I backed it down, and about a mile or so later pulled off to take a picture for an ADV Tag o Rama shot, and while fiddling with my camera for the shot, a car slowed up coming in from behind.... yep, it was a State Trooper.... he rolled by about 25mph giving me the "stink eye", and then he began laughing and shaking his index finger at me in a "don't ever do that again on my road" manner...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:58:19 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
bone stock per the speedo 160ish, not sure how far off the factory speedo is. Honestly I think for me that's fast enough as there really isn't anywhere around that is closed course ....im only 46 but still start having all those thoughts about having an accident at those speeds.

I am the same age as you, and I have those thoughts at EVERY speed and have for many years.  I am not sure if my Guhl ECU reflash removed the speed limiter or not... since I have no intention of ever going that fast I don't really care.  I think I went 110 once on it.  One thing is for sure, I can just fly at 80MPH and hardly even notice it on this bike it is so smooth.  Constantly creeping up there in speed and having to force it down (ticket city around here).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
130 mph, two up, bags at 20# each,shad 50 top box, guhl reflash, angel GT 55 rear in fifth gear.  Also I am 72 and wife is 68, been a passenger for over 40 years, 50th anniversary next year.

Nice.  You might have to get the uber-kewl award :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
155 indicated with windscreen full up with Laminar lip, bags overstuffed, tailbag and the Wife on the back in 5th gear. Thought I saw a black dog in the road and slowed down. Turns out it was a cow. ???

That's Nebraska for ya'. Windy as all get out too.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
Today, 140, 4th gear........ and I liked it  ;D ;D ;D
I will be 57 on the 29th of this month, sometimes I think there's something wrong with me  8)

I'm 4 yrs younger, but still banging on the door of the grey power club. Had mine up to 250kph or 155mph and stayed there for a while, absorbing the whole experience. As a die-hard cruiser guy, it was tough choice to buy my first "non-traditional" motorcycle, an 08 concours. There's nothing quite as much fun as passing a younger 40ish guy on his batwing fairing geezer glide, and regardless of how decked out he is in his rebel attire, or how bad-ass he thinks he is, there's not much the kid can do.
Yup, I think there's something wrong with you, me and the lot of us. mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
I'm 4 yrs younger, but still banging on the door of the grey power club. Had mine up to 250kph or 155mph and stayed there for a while, absorbing the whole experience. As a die-hard cruiser guy, it was tough choice to buy my first "non-traditional" motorcycle, an 08 concours. There's nothing quite as much fun as passing a younger 40ish guy on his batwing fairing geezer glide, and regardless of how decked out he is in his rebel attire, or how bad-ass he thinks he is, there's not much the kid can do.
Yup, I think there's something wrong with you, me and the lot of us. mat

Indeed.  I am always amused at how many people on those ultra-low-tech cruisers just think they are "all that".... they just have NO IDEA what it is like to ride a modern sport-ish bike.  It is a lot like these kids in riced-out Civics revving at *ANY* motorcycle, thinking they have any chance, whatsoever, if the bike cared to go.  Buying and driving a large displacement sport-ish bike will often totally ruin all notions about where "fast cars" fit in the hierarchy of speed (unless you are talking high 6+ figure exotic stuff, of course... and even then....)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
Indeed.  I am always amused at how many people on those ultra-low-tech cruisers just think they are "all that".... they just have NO IDEA what it is like to ride a modern sport-ish bike.  It is a lot like these kids in riced-out Civics revving at *ANY* motorcycle, thinking they have any chance, whatsoever, if the bike cared to go.  Buying and driving a large displacement sport-ish bike will often totally ruin all notions about where "fast cars" fit in the hierarchy of speed (unless you are talking high 6+ figure exotic stuff, of course... and even then....)

+1 In my younger days I used to lust after fast cars but now I know I will never even get close to a car that could compete with my C14. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a new Z-06 C7 Corvette but it no longer holds the magic for me like it might have 20 years ago.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
This past summer I was rolling home on the 14, in my Stich of course, in the express lanes, when I watched headilight approaching from behind at highspeed.. squid bike, with rider in tanktop, shorts, and sandles.... he shut off the throttle alongside me and pegged it bouncing off the rev limiter trying to get the front wheel up to show me what he had..... I kicked it down 3 gears and took it to 150 for about 2 miles, and he had a hard time even catching up untill I dropped to 80 mph, then he pulled up again, looked over and decided he could outrun me.... I let him go, tanktop flapping in the wind, half nekid as he was...... it was tooo late... he'd already been "bagged" by the old man on a bag bike. 8)

When I got off the freeway, about 5 miles down the road, he was receiving a "performance award".... I knew he was gonna get one, old age caries wisdom.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »
It's one of the things I like about the C14, it's a bit of a sleeper.