Author Topic: Tiedowns for top of bags??  (Read 2868 times)

Offline kzz1king

Tiedowns for top of bags??
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
I want to put down some sort of attachments points on the top of my bags for attaching tent and such. Would like something small and weather proof in each corner. Any suggestions? Thanks
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mlf73

Re: Tiedowns for top of bags??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
Lots of people go with the Bungee Buddies from Aerostich.com.  They will run you close to $25 with shipping I think for four of them.  Me being frugal like I am found the following kayak bungee tie-downs on Ebay.  They are a hard nylon material and seem like they'll be sturdy.  I mounted  one on the top-front and top-back of the inboard side of each saddle bag.  I think they'll work out fine for strapping down most anything and they are more affordable although probably not as versatile as the Bungee Buddies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280710993196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
If you have a West Marine or other sailboat supply shop in the area you might browse their hardware section.  Lots of nifty small Stainless Steel loops and such made for deck mounting that work great depending on whether you want to catch webbing straps or bungee hooks.

Many of them are lower-profile and 'smoother' than the Bungee Buddies.

Just bolt-through with SS hardware, use a dab of RTV to seal 'round the fitting, and either use a washer for backing or a bit of aluminum strap drilled to match the hole-spacing.  Nylock nuts keep 'em tight and have a nice shape almost like an acron-nut that tend to not snag stuff inside your bag if you cut the bolt flush to the nut.

Low profile SS marine "footman's loops" sized to fit 1" web strap can be seen on the top case of my Connie Camper setup.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
Just a dumb question since I was wondering myself just yesterday, but is it ok to attach something to the top of the bags for a tie down?  Or near the top on the sides perhaps?  Id love to add something there to strap down a larger bag across the back, but am hesitant. 

Just seems like it could be bad pulling on the top, but surely someone knows better....
Say what?

Offline mlf73

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the tie-down loops I just added.  I haven't really used them yet but I don't expect any problems with the upward pressure from my bungee straps.  I figure that as long as the side latches are done then there wont be much chance of pulling a side bag up enough to have it come off.

02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »
I hadn't thought about using them to strap stuff to the seat.I was thinking more about one in each corner to strap stuff to the bags. Keep the pics and ideas coming.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mlf73

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
Wayne, that would work too either using the tie-downs that I used or the Bungee Buddies.  There are also other products out there that would accommodate other straps such as web strap tie-downs or velcro tie-downs.  As mentioned before, a boating supply place would be a good place to look for ideas.  I went with the way that I did it because i never have a rider on the back seat.  I wanted to be able to strap a duffle bag or tennis bag behind me and not have to rely on just the grab handles or the stock tie-downs on the back.  I also wanted to be able to still get into my side bags when I need to without unstrapping anything.  You'll want to be careful not to put anything too heavy on top of either bag since the antler will be carrying the full weight when done that way but it certainly is doable in my opinion.

Edit:  As said before, whatever you go with, be sure to go with a stainless screw and a decent size washer on the inside  with a Nylok nut with a dab of RTV or silicone maybe to keep water out...even though my bags leak at the center joint anyway.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »
I am also concerned about not being able to get into the bags. I may only pack stuff on the passenger side so that I can leave the drivers side accessible. I need to go do a little mocking up and planning. Thanks.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1