Author Topic: KiPAss  (Read 31832 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: KiPAss
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
To the nooBs that may not know yet:

The mighty KiPass is the best device ever created by man, although it has mad pow-ah of the gods
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
I am confused: in the first post you say the dealer has the bike, will be taking the ign. switch assembly apart and cleaning it. In the second post you say Kawasaki won't do a thing. Who is paying for the dealer to R&R the switch? Is it not Kawasaki covering the cost as a warranty repair? ???

By 'won't do a thing', do you mean they won't replace the spring? If so, that does not make any sense to me because the cost of the spring ($0.50 would be a lot) is nothing compared with the labor involved in opening up, cleaning up, and reassembling the ign. assembly. If someone is going to pay for the latter, why not increase the odds of addressing this issue by replacing the spring. ???

Could you please clarify this a bit? I am not criticizing you, I really want to understand what is happening here.

Thanks,
Brian

Here is the update...

It was a KiPass issue.  The pin was stuck in the switch.  Since this is my first episode with this problem, Kawasaki will not replace the switch/housing/part.  My dealer is taking it apart, cleaning it up, making sure everything fits right, and works as it should.  I should have her back in my hands Friday.

I plan on taking apart the switch/housing to clean it on a semi regular basis now... prevention goes a long way to not having to deal with this again.  I am glad it did this 5 miles from my house instead of a 2 weeks earlier when I was in Spearfish, SD. :hail:

Yes he knows... talked to K-Techie... but they won't do a thing since it was my first time having this problem, his words.  I tend to believe him... he has gone to bat for me on 2 sets of rotors already.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
First of all, it is Cap'n as in Cap'n Crunch, not Cap't as in the captain of a real ship. The latter implies a bit too much respect. In the second place, you will have to work your way up the ladder like everyone else. You can be Ens'n if you want but Cap'n has to be earned. And in the third place, we will need a first name to apply any additional titles: Ens'n Vivo does not even make any sense, sort of as 'Lt. Mudflap' is nonsensical. And finally I have to say, your post was kinda' funny IMO.

I have an opinion and would be happy to share it but I want to wait for clarification on who is doing what to the O.P.'s bike. Removing the activation switch, cleaning it, checking for and removing any burrs, lubing it and reinstalling used to be considered a legitimate 'repair'. We can certainly argue (and probably will) about whether this is an acceptable fix or not but again, I will wait until I better understand what is being done to the bike.

At any rate, doing 'nothing' is certainly not an acceptable way to proceed from any point of view I can think of.

Brian

KIPASS sucks!

Ok, I will be the new Capt Vivo!  Do I get a star or patch as a new Capt?

Seriously, I was thinking how do we all feel about cleaning as a repair when we know a new spring is available???  Is cleaning without updating acceptable to the owners? I would have to say no in my opinion...

Personally I am thinking Kawasaki isn't taking this seriously enough. It's cool that this bike had an issue a few miles from home but it would be way less cool if he was in a different situation where being stranded caused risk for the owner...

As an owner I might be interested in signing a letter of dis-satisfacton to be sent to Kawasaki customer service or elsewhere... It is possible that with enough owners interested in voicing concerns we could change this situation? It may effect few people but does this matter? How many members here?

Or we can make fun of Bob. I can go either way... or are we so gun shy that we would rather not open this can of worms?

I am just asking... not suggesting anything....

Taking the Captn hat off now...

vivo
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Yeah.... we're going to need an emoticon for chuckling and shaking my head at the same time.

Go easy in your praise of KiPass there Steve, I am having a hard time holding Kirby back; he wants to move to Florida 'cause he thinks everyone there likes KiPass.

;D

Brian

To the nooBs that may not know yet:

The mighty KiPass is the best device ever created by man, although it has mad pow-ah of the gods

Offline vivo

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01:52 PM »
Wow... my edit button (the one in my head) really worked this time... 56 years and I am finally learning something....

I had a Czar hat on a few minutes ago when I was writing my almost sent post...

So...emmm no Capt hat? Bummer.... How did Bob get one? Capt Kangaroo wasn't in the military was he? He had a hat...

I am thinking our president should have a hat! Maybe something pointy? Not too pointy with little holes poked into the face... that's not a good hat from him. How come the word hat sounds funny? Hat... hat.... hat.... who made that word up? How come we don't wear more hats now, like we did in 1900? Does Bob really have a hat on when he is posting his rants on KiPass? I bet he does... Now we drummed him out and he is only our guest... you know we have to be nice to him now that he is a guest...  Hi Bob.... want some ice tea? Like that... Kirby will now serve a plate of cookies,,,, yummmmmmy... errkkk KIRBY you ****! You ate all Bob's cookies!!!

Time for more drugs now...

vivo

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
Yeah.... we're going to need an emoticon for chuckling and shaking my head at the same time.

Go easy in your praise of KiPass there Steve, I am having a hard time holding Kirby back; he wants to move to Florida 'cause he thinks everyone there likes KiPass.

;D

Brian

Send him down here. We like the mighty KiPass 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »
Wow... my edit button (the one in my head) really worked this time... 56 years and I am finally learning something....

I had a Czar hat on a few minutes ago when I was writing my almost sent post...

So...emmm no Capt hat? Bummer.... How did Bob get one? Capt Kangaroo wasn't in the military was he? He had a hat...

I am thinking our president should have a hat! Maybe something pointy? Not too pointy with little holes poked into the face... that's not a good hat from him. How come the word hat sounds funny? Hat... hat.... hat.... who made that word up? How come we don't wear more hats now, like we did in 1900? Does Bob really have a hat on when he is posting his rants on KiPass? I bet he does... Now we drummed him out and he is only our guest... you know we have to be nice to him now that he is a guest...  Hi Bob.... want some ice tea? Like that... Kirby will now serve a plate of cookies,,,, yummmmmmy... errkkk KIRBY you ****! You ate all Bob's cookies!!!

Time for more drugs now...

vivo

See what happens when you encourage him Brian?

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »
I am confused: in the first post you say the dealer has the bike, will be taking the ign. switch assembly apart and cleaning it. In the second post you say Kawasaki won't do a thing. Who is paying for the dealer to R&R the switch? Is it not Kawasaki covering the cost as a warranty repair? ???

By 'won't do a thing', do you mean they won't replace the spring? If so, that does not make any sense to me because the cost of the spring ($0.50 would be a lot) is nothing compared with the labor involved in opening up, cleaning up, and reassembling the ign. assembly. If someone is going to pay for the latter, why not increase the odds of addressing this issue by replacing the spring. ???

Could you please clarify this a bit? I am not criticizing you, I really want to understand what is happening here.

Thanks,
Brian

I mean they, Mama Kawasaki, won't do anything as far as replacing parts.  They are having the dealer clean the switch.  I am with you on this... I don't understand... one failure... 3 failures... it failed, try the spring.  But then, I am not Mama Kawasaki, or her Rep on the phone making that fiddy cent decision.

Sorry about the late reply... work is a four letter word.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
Off topic, did Cap'n Bob decide to move away from this forum?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
Off topic, did Cap'n Bob decide to move away from this forum?

He posted as a "guest" yesterday with the name of "Bob".  I am a little disappointed, I hope he wasn't run off after all of his anti-KiPass sentiment.  There always needs to be two sides of the coin, I hope he comes back so he can balance out all of SteveWFL's KiPass worshiping.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
Disappointed as well if he did....we are better than that. He is entitled to his opinions, especially he endured those experiences with KiPass...
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
OK, thanks for clearing that up.

The original warranty 'fix' for a sticking activation switch was R&R, disassembly, (this is the critical part) removing the burr(s) from the stamped parts of the switch and finally a dab of grease before reassembly. That seems to have fixed the problem for everyone who reported having had it done although that is certainly not data, just anecdotal input from whoever choose to report on it. Kawasaki of course would have more info. about how successful the process was and if they are still doing it, it tends to make me think that the process works. From a mechanical point of view it <should> work; after all, we have a planet full of push button switches, some used in incredibly harsh environments (a car wash comes to mind) and they do not fail often or commonly. So maybe this really is a valid correction for the defect that causes the activation switch to stick in the first place.

As to the heavier spring: the only thing I know of this spring is from a very few postings on this and the older forum. Maybe Kawasaki is providing these springs, and maybe it was something a dealer conjured up to try and eliminate the problem (something I would do if I owned a dealership). ?? If it is a Kawasaki part, then I agree 100% that it would be incredibly stupid to withhold the spring from a warranty claim repair as it would not be even 1% of the cost of the overall job and yet would have a direct impact (no pun intended) on the performance of the very item that sticks. So something just does not sound right here- I am not saying it is you, but perhaps there is a miscommunication between your dealer and Kawasaki. Perhaps someone at Kawasaki had not yet had his / her second cut of coffee and made a terrible decision.

Back to the situation though, you should be all set once the switch is inspected, perhaps filed here and there and reassembled. If you want to install a bypass just for peace of mind, I can help you if you have any questions. It is relatively straightforward but does require soldering.

BTW nice job of keeping calm through this. Reason and rational thinking almost always wins over chest thumping and screaming.  ;)

Brian

I mean they, Mama Kawasaki, won't do anything as far as replacing parts.  They are having the dealer clean the switch.  I am with you on this... I don't understand... one failure... 3 failures... it failed, try the spring.  But then, I am not Mama Kawasaki, or her Rep on the phone making that fiddy cent decision.

Sorry about the late reply... work is a four letter word.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
Yep, I did not see that coming. Not even a little bit....   Let's hope he turned off his lava lamp, went through the bead door to his bedroom and had a nice nap.

:o ;D

Brian

See what happens when you encourage him Brian?

:rotflmao:

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Nothing comes from a rant over something I can't control... and that old saying applies... Stuff happens.  ;)

I had a friend break his key off in his ignition, ST1300, when we were all packing up to ride home from the Texas Hill country... a Sunday morning... everything closed. :o  He was lucky enough to have the Ace Hardware guy open up his store, locksmith pull out the broken part... make a key from a Nissan blank.   So even keys can have a problem... seen it with my own eyes... LOL!!!

Just want my Ninja ST back for more ridding therapy...  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
He posted as a "guest" yesterday with the name of "Bob".  I am a little disappointed, I hope he wasn't run off after all of his anti-KiPass sentiment.  There always needs to be two sides of the coin, I hope he comes back so he can balance out all of SteveWFL's KiPass worshiping.   ;D

Offline mkorn

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
I didnt know we could take it apart ...

cleaning and regreasing sounds good ... doing that AND changing to the new spring sounds even better.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:03 AM »
I didnt know we could take it apart ...

cleaning and regreasing sounds good ... doing that AND changing to the new spring sounds even better.

Not very easily and something I would not attempt.  I give mine a spritz of contact cleaner every now and then by taking out the stove knob key and spraying it around the 9 o'clock position through the slot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:41 AM »
You guys really like dealing with something like this that seems to be troublesome for some people, rather than a normal key?  :-\
2005 Concours

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »
Troublesome for a few....not for many.  We are a small subset of the Concours/GTR 14 population and we don't see that many problems with it.  Certainly not enough to not buy the bike on it's merits.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
You guys really like dealing with something like this that seems to be troublesome for some people, rather than a normal key?  :-\

This is the bike that we chose to buy and it came with Kipass. Love it or hate it, if you have a C14 you have to deal with it. I for one have never had a problem with it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn