Author Topic: New rear rack...a review  (Read 1572 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
New rear rack...a review
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »
I have acquired and installed a new rack built by Deziner, a member on this forum. I had already replaced the plastic oem rack with a top quality piece built by another member. Any comparisons here will be made to the oem.

The rack came very well packaged with all parts necessary for mounting including the rack, two adapter blocks, and stainless screws.

This new rack is a machined aluminum piece that is six inches wider then stock which has the obvious advantage of being a more supportive platform for the dry bags I tend to use instead of the Kawasaki top box. The machine work is flawless and the textured powder coat finish is back cut to leave a very attractive polished look to the chamfered top edges. The perimeter of the rack is slotted which allows many tie down points. All the threaded holes were clean and paint free.

Installation was straight forward. Since the rack is wider than the stock piece it mounts on top of the arms instead of between them. The adapter blocks each have two nipples which when inserted into the the existing oversize screw holes allow the blocks to be flush with the top of the arms. This gives the rack a stable area to be mounted to. The only hitch I ran into in the installation was finding the left rearmost hole in the plastic mounting arm was canted slightly off vertical. This was irrelevant with the plastic to plastic oem parts but caused the need to be careful not to strip threads installing the new rack.

The rack is drilled for the mounting of both Monolock and Monokey topcases. My oem Kawasaki box, which is the Monolock design, mounted without a problem. I can only assume the other will mount as easily.

I really like the design and versatility of the rack and think Deziner has done an excellent job.

Let me apologize for not including the obligatory pictures here. I will as soon as I can get that particular difficulty squared away. Here is the link to the original thread by Deziner... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19148.0

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: New rear rack...a review
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:07:30 AM »
 :goodpost:

I think an aftermarket aluminum (al-you-min-e-um?) rack is the only way to go with the C14.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.