Author Topic: Bought a new bike today  (Read 8732 times)

Offline jjsC6

Bought a new bike today
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »
Bought a BMW 1600 GT.  Yes, I know that Jim does not like them and might move this thread, but I really would like to do a comparison to the Concours.  It may be too soon right now as I just rode the BMW home today.  I have ridden one back to back with my Concours about six weeks ago though for about 50 miles.  My impression is that the BMW is going to be a great touring bike that is pretty sporty as well.  Overall, I think I'll probably put the Concours ahead of the BMW as far as being the better SPORT touring bike of the two.  It just feels sportier to me.  By this time next week I hope to put 600 miles on the BMW and run some twisty roads hard enough to really get a feel for it.

For now I still have the Concours.  I also have a Ninja 1000 and the Goldwing I am replacing with the BMW I have for sale. 

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Bought a new bike today
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »
Give lots of updates as time goes on.  I would like to ride one, but I refuse to.  If I did I might want to buy it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
Nice collection indeed JJ!  :P 8) :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Can I ask how much $ OTD??  :-\

Offline JeffM

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
Congrats, Jim! That '13 graphite looks really nice. I've had my GT 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. I think you'll find the GT easier in the corners, but curious to hear what you have to say since you own both.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Congrats! I love that color, very nice looking bike. Looking forward to hearing more about your riding impressions.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:12:49 AM »
Bought a BMW 1600 GT. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOO..............!!!!!!    :banghead:

Good luck anyway!  :chugbeer:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »
Bought a BMW 1600 GT.  Yes, I know that Jim does not like them and might move this thread, but I really would like to do a comparison to the Concours. 

You're right, Jim doesn't like them, particularly in the in C14 boards.  However, someone else beat me to the trigger.  You can compare to your heart's content here, though.  With that being said, I hope that you enjoy the bike and keep us informed of your progress.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad looking bike, unlike most of the BMW line.  Not a big fan of their exhaust system.  Looks a bit on the largish side but then that's just me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:50:10 AM »
Multi-barrel bazookas X two. Have you seen the Tailgunner muffler tips for HD's?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
I just did.... :yikes: .   Now if they only had something facing forward like this that works...

http://www.photohome.com/photos/aircraft-pictures/fighters/a-10-thunderbolt-1.html

I'd be more inclined to purchase one.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »
That would make a loud horn a bit redundant.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »
Nice collection indeed JJ!  :P 8) :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Can I ask how much $ OTD??  :-\

$30,000 - BUT (and this is a big "but") I spent a small fortune getting the bike the way I wanted it.  I had to spend $2000 on a top case to get it to do what I want for two up riding (I don't have time to explain now, but I will later).  Also, I bought the bike with both the factory GT seat and the factory GTL seat.  And the bike has I think about $4000 worth of factory options.   Yes, it was expensive, but you have to remember that I was buying it to replace my Goldwing so I had to add things that would get is as close as possible to the Goldwing for two-up riding.  The basic bike can be bought in the low $20s. 

I'm pretty busy this morning but will try to answer other questions later today. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
Well spent money...and i here the BMW FOB works on the luggage and such too.

I haven't had my arse on a BMW sport tourer because I'm terrified I'd get the check book out.  I'm looking for a S1000RR but unlike the jap bikes I can't find one discounted anywhere, even on a fly and ride
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
$30,000 - BUT (and this is a big "but") I spent a small fortune getting the bike the way I wanted it.  I had to spend $2000 on a top case to get it to do what I want for two up riding (I don't have time to explain now, but I will later).  Also, I bought the bike with both the factory GT seat and the factory GTL seat.  And the bike has I think about $4000 worth of factory options.   Yes, it was expensive, but you have to remember that I was buying it to replace my Goldwing so I had to add things that would get is as close as possible to the Goldwing for two-up riding.  The basic bike can be bought in the low $20s. 

I'm pretty busy this morning but will try to answer other questions later today.

Did you have the chance to try the GTL (lower) seat? I did, didn't like it one bit, and neither did my girlfriend. Somebody mentioned here why: it's so wide that it covers the handles and renders them useless, so she was completely loose when braking. But glad you got your self the GT bike, with more leaning angle and the more forward handlebar. I see you've got a different shield too. What is it?
Oh, and congrats on the new bike! I noticed that BMW improved the slack on the transmission and it's now on the acceptable side, with not as much play as before. Actually, almost C14 play levels. If they only improved the gear changing as well  :-X
I hope you are not as sensitive as I am to the whining of the gears on the generator. I have to wear earplugs every single time I even think of riding this bike.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »
Interesting....if I were to pick though, I would pick the GTL. To me, they seem essentially the same bike. Might as well go with a bit more comfort since the GT is not quite the 'sport' that C14 is. If I am going more touring, might as well go the full length - especially if I am replacing a Gold Wing. Again, just my opinion. I am sure you have had your reasons for chosing the GT over GTL.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »
The GTL is a gold-winger with benefits.   I'd prefer the sportier GT  :D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
Looking forward to your review, is a pretty good looking machine.......but YIKES 30K is 2 C14's! :yikes:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
The GTL is a gold-winger with benefits.  I'd prefer the sportier GT  :D

Definitive.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jayke

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
Nice bike!  The GT or GTL is on my bike bucket list, maybe bike after next.  That's some serious money,  I need to save for a while.

My wife and I looked at them in March.  She's still going on about how comfortable the GTL seat was.  Keeps asking me why my $600 custom seat on the C14 doesn't feel as good.

I'm guessing you ordered the GTL Top case?  All the new BMW top cases interchange if you didn't know.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
but YIKES 30K is 2 C14's! :yikes:

Depends on the C14...