Author Topic: Removing Dyna-beads from tires?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Lodogg2221

Removing Dyna-beads from tires?
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Well, Ive had them in a couple of my own bikes, and on a trailer and liked them mostly, but not so much on the Connie.  Maybe they arent the real thing, I dont know, but since I have my own balancer, I want them out.
Now, how the heck do I get them out? 
Im guessing break down the bead and suck them out with the shop vac....any other ideas?

Say what?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Removing Dyna-beads from tires?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
Take the valve stem out and shake...

and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Or, as you guessed, pop the bead and vacuum them out.

I'd guess that drilling a hole in the tire wouldn't appeal to you, either.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:01 AM »
That is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. Thank you.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:21 AM »
That is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. Thank you.

It made me start thinking of the K C and the Sunshine Band.........shake,shake,shake...shake your bootie..... ;D
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
Thats awesome guys! 
One more reason I like this forum....

Guess Ill use my home made bead breaker and get those things out of there....thanks, especially for the laugh! 

If it wouldnt take up half a page, Id use that as my sig! 
Say what?

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
I love my Dyna beads.................  :-*  Had the Kaw dealer interested to.  Took my tire in for a new one, have the beads in it. removed old put on new put beads back in.  He heard of them and was curious as to if they do work.  He put the tire on the balancer and it 0'd out perfectly.  That made a believer out of him. 
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
I was a believer too, but on this bike, whoever did it threw the plastic baggie in there too.  Stupid.   I also had issues I needed to get corrected that felt like a balance issue, at high speed.
Also, there did not appear to be enough in each tire.  Maybe that was it. 
I had them in my VTX tires, and had no problems, but its easy enough to balance tires so now I do it myself. 

In any case, they are out, and tires are balanced. 
Say what?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
The baggie is dynabeads way of putting the beads in while mounting the tires. the baggie busts open, beads disburse, no problem... Steve

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
Shoot, this sure is one funny thread. 
Thank you for the good laugh ;D
I wonder if when I cross the border into Canada and  back this summer if the X-ray they tires and see empty baggies and funny little beads rolling around will they give me grief about it?  Hmmm.. if not that gives me an idea.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:29 AM »
The baggie is dynabeads way of putting the beads in while mounting the tires. the baggie busts open, beads disburse, no problem... Steve
Couldn't the debris of the bag cause the beads to clump up in one area? 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »
Couldn't the debris of the bag cause the beads to clump up in one area? 

I would think so.  I assume they might think there is an issue with it as well, as they say to "pour the beads into the tire", while specifically mentioning placing the bag in the tire on RVs and larger truck tires. 
I know there were very large pieces of the bag still in my tires, and I know that would impede the "flow" of the beads. 

The only problem I have with them is, as I said, I had an issue related to balance on my bike, and there was no fix other than to remove the beads, since I had no idea to know if the correct amount was added.  It sure didnt look like the amount I added to my VTX.  And as I mentioned, they could have been an imitation....which exist and basically suck (not round like the real thing). 
And the fact that its awful hard to re-use them, and the fact that most times the WHEEL is more out of balance than the tires are, so balancing once and using good tires might be the end of balancing for you, AND the fact that balancing tires isnt exactly hard or time consuming when you already have the wheels off changing tires, and its a LOT cheaper. 

Theres nothing wrong with using them, if you like them great!  Have at it.  I used them, and cant really say they were a huge improvement.  I even put them in my trailer tires.  They did improve the bouncing or wiggle it had while empty, but when I got new tires, I had the shop balance them and it did the same thing.
They did make my VTX more stable at high speed, or resistant to turn, whichever descriptor you prefer.  Probably due to moving the mass to the very outer edge of the wheel, increasing gyroscopic effect.   I didnt really hate it, but did notice it. 
Again, this isnt a bash fest on Dyna-beads....just a how the heck do you remove them once they are in, and now we all know how to do that....
Say what?

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
We use Dynabead products in all our tires installs, NO bags but rather poured in loose....

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
Easiest way to get them out is to drill a half in hole in the middle, stand the tire up with the hole down, and voila.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:17:08 AM »
Easiest way to get them out is to drill a half in hole in the middle, stand the tire up with the hole down, and voila.
The easiest way to put them in is to put the tip of an engraving tool along side the valve stem. When it is turned on the beads will flow like water.

Edit: Tim when I first read your post I thought it said "drill half a hole".   :loco: how the heck is that possible  :loco:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »
Edit: Tim when I first read your post I thought it said "drill half a hole".   :loco: how the heck is that possible  :loco:
You aren't the only one to have read it that way.  (But you're the first to admit it.   :rotflmao: )

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
Easiest way to get them out is to drill a ½ inch hole in the middle, stand the tire up with the hole down, and voila.
There, fixed. Everyone's a critics. Sheesh.  ;) :chugbeer: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
It was right the first time.  Drill half a hole so you can close it back up when you get all the beads out.  Good idea to keep them in a sturdy bag when you install too...in case you intend to remove later.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!