Author Topic: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review  (Read 32017 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 08:11:40 AM »
I've read the comments and I'm sold. I haven't experienced the low RPM issues with the stock setup, but my 2012 has only 800 miles on it. I figure it's just a question of time and miles.

Wanted to get rid of the bazooka and put on a slipon (recently acquired a Muzzy) before pulling the ECU and sending it in.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »
It's supposed to be in the 60's Friday, so mine will get sent off soon.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
Got my ECU back today, it took FOREVER.  Ok, fine, it took like 6 days or so, just seemed that way.

Way more power for sure, smoother, very good low end.  I liked what the Guhl flash gave me, this is way better.   Plus I just put a slip on on it recently, so it looks and sounds way better and it lost quite a bit of weight in the deal.

The true test will be up against my buddy's MultiStrada.  We ran them about 5 separate times on a ride a month or so ago and they were as even as 2 bikes can be.  We'll see now that I have 15 more hp!  To be continued!

Oh, one thing, now what effect does switching to ECO mode have?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
Oh, one thing, now what effect does switching to ECO [FEAM] mode have?

With the Guhl flash the FEAM map is untouched so switching to it is reverting all changes.  Not sure with Steve's (I didn't see it specifically mentioned anywhere) but would be nice to know.  Since his presumably better addresses fuel economy than even the FEAM, I think it would be nicer to load the stock NON-FEAM map into the FEAM map slot for a true before/after effect.  Although that seems counter-intuitive to go into FEAM and end up with something less fuel efficient than the regular stock map AND the reflashed map :)

UPDATE:  Just saw posting here, although not from Steve: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21014.msg260561#msg260561
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 04:37:25 AM »
I rode down to southern VA and back over last weekend.   Going down I actually saw 50mpg with a mixture of Interstate and two lane.  I haven't seen that number in years.  However, coming back I only got 46 or so.  The weather was warmer last Friday going down, but colder going back up on Saturday morning.  Typically I average about 45 or less before the flash.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
I rode down to southern VA and back over last weekend.   Going down I actually saw 50mpg with a mixture of Interstate and two lane.  I haven't seen that number in years.  However, coming back I only got 46 or so.  The weather was warmer last Friday going down, but colder going back up on Saturday morning.  Typically I average about 45 or less before the flash.

So what I hear you saying is that I will actually save money by getting this flash  ;) Works for me!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
I equate that to a very nice side effect..  Might take awhile to get your money back depending on how much you ride..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
I equate that to a very nice side effect..  Might take awhile to get your money back depending on how much you ride..
If one equates the ROI from gas cost savings alone, it cold take a while.  But, it the improved performance and rideability is included, the satisfaction and fiscal combination, should allow for an almost immediate ROI...   :D :D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
If one equates the ROI from gas cost savings alone, it cold take a while.  But, it the improved performance and rideability is included, the satisfaction and fiscal combination, should allow for an almost immediate ROI...   :D :D

Yes but you could have 2 different conversations:

1)  Honey I need to spend $375 to make my motorcycle go faster...

or

2)  I'm going to modify my motorcycle so I can save money on gas...

Offline tomp

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 03:22:01 PM »

or

Luckily, since I've been unmarried for the past decade, I don't need to have said conversations any longer, but mentioning that the product needed is ON SALE, and will be saving money two ways, original purchase and gas, could be a plus... tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
Luckily, since I've been unmarried for the past decade, I don't need to have said conversations any longer, but mentioning that the product needed is ON SALE, and will be saving money two ways, original purchase and gas, could be a plus... tp

Is there a "sale" price going on?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
Is there a "sale" price going on?
I'm sure Steve could print out an MSRP price list and a Special Pricing list (to reflect today's current actual pricing), showing it as a discount.  Marketing, Marketing, Marketing....  Ladies love the word SALE. 

Offline coastalcop

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
Just got this flash myself short term testing, I love it!  Longer term/distance testing to follow, but it DOES fix all the low rpm choppy throttle issues!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
What year bike?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »

or

Oh no, not another P/whipped C-14 rider.. :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:17 AM »

or

Don't forget 2.1) This mod will make my shifting smoother so you won't have to worry about your helmet hitting mine any longer.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:12 AM »
Oh no, not another P/whipped C-14 rider.. :o

I said "you" could have 2 different conversations.  ;)

I already got mine flashed by Guhl years ago. But with all the great reviews on this flash, I'm thinking about having Steve flash it again. The problem is that I'm too busy riding to have the bike sitting for a week.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
I would have paid $50 to get an ECU sent to me to use so I didn't have to park my bike for what seemed like a long time. Plus, it would be nice to run them back to back, but I think you can run ECO vs non-ECO and do the same?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 07:14:40 AM »
I would have paid $50 to get an ECU sent to me to use so I didn't have to park my bike for what seemed like a long time. Plus, it would be nice to run them back to back, but I think you can run ECO vs non-ECO and do the same?

Not quite the same but yes. Before I got the Guhl flash, I hardly noticed much difference between the 2. After the Guhl flash there is a very noticeable difference.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »
I noticed a pretty good difference between Guhl and stock. When I wacked the throttle with Guhl at 2500 rpm, it was VERY apparent that you needed to be pointing where you wanted to go before you did that.

Steve's flash feels smoother and has the low end, but I have only ridden it once and had to get somewhere. I am looking forward to running against my buddy's Multistrada, because we ran from 'rolling in 1st gear at idle' to redline in 3 gears and we were dead nuts even. We did it at least 3x and the results were identical. I was surprised. I thought he would blow me into the weeds. We are both in our late 50's and have Ben riding for 30+ years, raced dirt bikes, done track days etc so while we're not Marquez and Rossi, we know how to twist a throttle. I think we are gonna ride tomorrow afternoon, so I should be able to go to ECO mode and run as stock gaitly even, then switch to normal mode and beat him handily. Testing is fun!