Author Topic: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review  (Read 32021 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »
Bitch be gone then.

I've Got 99 Problems and The Bitch Ain't One.    :)
! No longer available
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
If you can squirrel away a few bucks here and a few coins there, she may not find out.

Until you hammer the throttle and she flips off the back. (smoothly, of course)  :o  ;)  :P  :-X

8)

Flash or not I know better than to hammer the throttle with her on the back. My wife most certainly DOES NOT EVER feel the need for speed on the back of my bike. In fact I've had to promise to ride somewhat sedately whenever she's riding with me or she refuses to ride at all.

She wanted me to buy a HD so that I wouldn't ride so fast.  :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
Flash or not I know better than to hammer the throttle with her on the back. My wife most certainly DOES NOT EVER feel the need for speed on the back of my bike. In fact I've had to promise to ride somewhat sedately whenever she's riding with me or she refuses to ride at all.

I tried the HD thing for the same reason. She liked it til I ran out of ground clearance. :(

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »

:yikes: and  :yikes: :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »

She wanted me to buy a HD so that I couldn't ride so fast.  :o

Fixed that for ya  :thumbs: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
Ooooookaaaaay, back on topic!  Just a quick update...the 2k RPM cold idle only occurred for the first three cold starts.  All subsequent cold start idles are back to where they have been for the past several years.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »
See what happens when you leave us unsupervised for a couple days?

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
There was no lack of supervision.  All went as planned.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:38 AM »
Ooooookaaaaay, back on topic!  Just a quick update...the 2k RPM cold idle only occurred for the first three cold starts.  All subsequent cold start idles are back to where they have been for the past several years.

Mine didn't do that but it was 87 degrees when Steve did the work and I tested it, maybe that had something to do with it.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 05:43:54 AM »
Cold idle doesn't have anything to do with the flash, same as the lousy fuel economy the bike gives riding in the cold. there' an atmospheric sensor and coolant sensor that feeds back to the ECU, cold weather, altitude, barometric pressure all impact how the fuel is trimmed by these other sources. The coolant sensor is primarily what drives the cold idle to be higher. This doesn't have anything to do with the flash. Steve

Offline kb9ndl

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Wow so much to learn.Got my new bike just 3 weeks ago (2009 Model with Two Brothers slip on).Previous bike was a 1991 Suzuki GSX 1100 .So this is my first bike with EFI.I have rode the 1400 for about 500 miles in the last 3 weeks and have noticed all the little quirks mentioned in the review at the start of this thread.I was wondering if i needed a Two Brothers Juice box but from further research looks like a ECU flash may be the way to go.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
Wow so much to learn.Got my new bike just 3 weeks ago (2009 Model with Two Brothers slip on).Previous bike was a 1991 Suzuki GSX 1100 .So this is my first bike with EFI.I have rode the 1400 for about 500 miles in the last 3 weeks and have noticed all the little quirks mentioned in the review at the start of this thread.I was wondering if i needed a Two Brothers Juice box but from further research looks like a ECU flash may be the way to go.
Get a ECU flash from Steve & forget about all the other crap !!
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
Get a ECU flash from Steve & forget about all the other crap !!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Best $300.00 you will spend on this bike....
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline kb9ndl

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »
Thanks guys for your advice.Rode 125 miles today at 45 degrees.With the right clothes its not cold at all.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »
I'm late to the party here, I have a 2012 with a Guhl reflash which I liked for the low end power add.  I do still notice a huge clunk when I transition from off to on throttle.  My bike sees redline a fair amount, so I am interested in the big hp increase, also for the smoothness and especially for the mileage increase, my bike seems to get very bad *ahem* mileage.  My brother has the same bike and is on here sometimes, he loves it and swears I should get it and he knows I have the Guhl flash. 

But one thing I saw and I only saw it once, was that somebody said you can run 89 octane with Steve's flash?  I only saw that once and mine sees WOT at low rpm so I notice that would make for a lot of detonation if the octane was too low.   That's not something I would want to risk unless I was pretty sure it was ok, so that's what I am looking for here.

So what's the deal, can you run 89 with this or what?   Between a mileage increase and the price delta between 89 and 93, this thing could help pay for itself.   

Thanks
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »
I'm late to the party here, I have a 2012 with a Guhl reflash which I liked for the low end power add.  I do still notice a huge clunk when I transition from off to on throttle.  My bike sees redline a fair amount, so I am interested in the big hp increase, also for the smoothness and especially for the mileage increase, my bike seems to get very bad *ahem* mileage.  My brother has the same bike and is on here sometimes, he loves it and swears I should get it and he knows I have the Guhl flash. 

But one thing I saw and I only saw it once, was that somebody said you can run 89 octane with Steve's flash?  I only saw that once and mine sees WOT at low rpm so I notice that would make for a lot of detonation if the octane was too low.   That's not something I would want to risk unless I was pretty sure it was ok, so that's what I am looking for here.

So what's the deal, can you run 89 with this or what?   Between a mileage increase and the price delta between 89 and 93, this thing could help pay for itself.   

Thanks

I'm thinking I am the best to answer here. Yes, I built the flash on 89 octane, on purpose, it was done so that if the various tuning parameters would work with 89, higher octane, 91-93 just adds a margin of safety, so I suggest that a person follows the recommendation of 90+ octane from Kawasaki.

Also, the issue of wOT at low rpm is important . Obviously there's a pretty large difference in load between wot / 1st gear 3k rpm, and 6th gear, 3k rpm. So to just say the issue is WOT low rpm doesn't really provide enough info. Regardless, I know there's somebody out there who will pull WOT at 2000 rpm in 6th gear, so yeah, I did it while tuning repeatedly to be sure there's no gas knock. Do I think it's a good idea on any engine? No. Do I recommend it on a stock tune? No. Do I recommend it with my tune? No. High cylinder pressures at low rpm and high load is very tough on the engine regardless. But the fact is I did allow for that while building the flash, and I did back off some parameters to be sure there was no detonation, on my bike, with 89. 

All that said, WOT at low rpms  high load will just never be a good idea... that's what a gearbox is for. Steve
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:31:37 AM by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline tomp

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:34 PM »
Lots of great info here.  Hopefully I will get mine done before tax time.  Stock is linear, but doesn't pull like a 1400 cc bike should.  Everything I've read tells me that the flash will give me the bike I paid for, for only $350 more.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:06 AM »
Presently 325.00, which includes shipping and insurance  :chugbeer:  Steve