Author Topic: More Tire Questions (Tread Depth)  (Read 3717 times)

Offline ShadowJack

• Weirdo Freak
    • Motorcycle Touring
More Tire Questions (Tread Depth)
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
Anyone have a new or near new BT021 190/50 still and can tell me the starting tread depth? I found lots of 'tread depth' comments but there are lots to wade through and I thought I'd just ask in case someone knows while I search.

With almost 4,000 miles on mine, if I know the starting, I might have an idea on what's left before I need to replace. If it's just a few k, I'll make a few short road trips around the state and then replace them.

Thanks!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: More Tire Questions (Tread Depth)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
it simply doesn't work like that, you cannot interpolate tred life vs depth of groove...
all of thes new tires are multi polymer compounds, and inconsistant based on available thickness'  if the tire has less than half what it started with as far as depth, you will only get about another third more out of the remaining tread, or even more closer to 25% left as far as miles go...

I can say my BT's when half worn, at about 4k by tread groove, only bought me  another 1200 miles in reality, befor they were unusable. and I pushed them to 5800, before buying new ones.. and not BT's..
been thru multiple PR2's, 3's, and I can't say I could push any more than 7500 out of any of them, without worrying... and then the tire all of a sudden eats itself overnight..
leaving the house riding 2 up for a 4-5 day trip of 2k miles, thinking I was good for at least 3k, and changing a tire out on day 3, at dealer cost... sukz..
just saying...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ShadowJack

• Weirdo Freak
    • Motorcycle Touring
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Yea, I figured something like that too. Even crappy tires have some use, especially since I'm only 5 miles from work. 10 miles a day for the next 6 weeks plus weekend running would bring it down enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting the tire.

I bought the Angels for the 'busa and replaced them. They've been in my garage for 4 years now I guess. I probably should just recycle them but $500 or so is a tough wad to swallow  :-\

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
Over the years, I've come to this conclusion.....if it's enough for you to worry about or question, change it.  It's not worth the angst.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »
Over the years, I've come to this conclusion.....if it's enough for you to worry about or question, change it.  It's not worth the angst.

+1

And when tires get old, they start to get hard and lose traction and can become dangerous... even if they have tread left.  Tire expense is significant on motorcycles, but your safety and life are riding on those two little patches.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:42:12 AM »
+2
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline ShadowJack

• Weirdo Freak
    • Motorcycle Touring
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »
Yea, I know I know. I'm specing out new tires now.

Thanks all.

New bike, trying to get it all up to "speed" (the same comforts of the 'busa :) ) has me trying to save a buck here and there when I need to just take care of business.

Mounting the Canyon Cages this weekend.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
Yea, I know I know. I'm specing out new tires now.

Thanks all.

New bike, trying to get it all up to "speed" (the same comforts of the 'busa :) ) has me trying to save a buck here and there when I need to just take care of business.

Mounting the Canyon Cages this weekend.

The 021 Crapstones are 'wooden' and hard to begin with- If you're at 4,000 miles you are pushing your luck unless you ride like PeeWee Herman around town.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
Mine were toast before that.   Some of the shortest lasting tires I have owned. And even if there's a lot left, they are squared off and handle like crap.

Jake Wilson had some rebates on the main page, try there.  I got $40 off a set of Pirelli Angel GTs, so I bought 2 sets!  I have yet to get the rebate but it should be here soon.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
I found the 021s that came stock on the bike to be quite different from the tires you buy off the shelf.
But I totally agree that once they come into question, they're toast. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.