Author Topic: Taking an advance rider course in June  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Taking an advance rider course in June
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Enrolled myself on one to increase my confidence on my connie on tight turns (read U-turns) and sudden stops. As much as I tried to get some fall protection, I have not been able to get any due to funds being diverted to other 'necessary' stuff. This is my first rider course and want to see if you guys got any pointers for me.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
Re: Taking an advance rider course in June
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
Good on you...  education is a good thing and skill development and practice will only help your riding in the long term.  Which course?  The MSF Advanced Ridercourse (ARC-ST) should not be confused with the BRC2, formerly known as the Experienced Ridercourse (ERC).  Having never taken any rider education I usually suggest going with the BRC2 first.  The BRC2 covers topic such as Max braking, swerving, cornering, and limited space skills (i.e. u-turns).   Be well rested and bring plenty of water to drink.   You'll be outside most of the day... Maybe consider sunblock.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »
I belive it is indeed the ERC conducted by Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
Pointers...

1) Be well rested.
2) Stay Hydrated.
3) Some states require you to have all your documentation with you (motorcycle license, reg, insurance)
4) Wear required gear (DOT approved helmet, eye protection, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, full fingered gloves, long pants, over the ankle footwear).
5) Keep open mind and be receptive to coaching.
6) Keep head and eyes up.
7) Turn your head.
8) Have fun.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
Here is a MSF list to check over your bike with, and yes, most places want to see ID, registration, and proof of insurance if street legal bikes are involved.

Take your time and don't ride above your comfort or skill level.  Let people pass if they need to.  They'll let you pass if you need to also (hopefully).  Enjoy yourself, don't stress out on it.  Ask questions (specific) regarding your performance or how to take a turn (prefered line) of the instructors and other riders, most are very willing to help if they the knowledge.

Its a good time and reason to go out and buy some good quality gear if you don't already have it (yes I know you said short on funds).

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCSInspectionChecklist.pdf
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »

Take your time and don't ride above your comfort or skill level. 

+1

Let people pass if they need to.  They'll let you pass if you need to also (hopefully). 

IIRC, there is no passing in the ERC... unless someone stalls, falls over, or forgets where they are going.   :loco:
Steve Smith, COG #3184

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
IIRC, there is no passing in the ERC... unless someone stalls, falls over, or forgets where they are going.   :loco:

That very well may be true.  Some classes on occasion let you pass in the straights if the course is big enough.  I'm sure they will tell you their course rules before you are allowed to ride.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
I took MSF advanced for the &^%^ of it on a ZX14 and it was well worth it. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
These classes can be a LOT of fun. I took one last year and it rained all day, it was still fun.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
I belive it is indeed the ERC conducted by Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
Hometown neighbor. PM me, we'll go for a ride.
Gary

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
These classes can be a LOT of fun. I took one last year and it rained all day, it was still fun.
+1 Well worth the time and effort. I've taken the "ERC" twice, used to be run by the State of NJ at no cost. It rained all day on my last one. The rain changed direction for the fifty mile ride home; from vertical to horizontal.  :o
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250