Author Topic: Black widow install  (Read 988 times)

Offline katata1100

Black widow install
« on: May 04, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
Any hints on this?
Do I assemble it, put fairing back on bike then, if fairing doesn’t touch exhaust, I have access to drain plug , etc, I score Mark everything , undue it, shmear exhaust sealant everywhere , match score marks and reassemble ?
Is it really possible to assemble this with stuff touching fairing ?
Can I reuse existing header nuts? Should I use anti sieze on them?

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Black widow install
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:09:21 AM »
I just did this not too long ago. 

I installed the header pipes per the instructions and left the pipes loose, to help with fitting the collectors together, and then the mid pipe and muffler.  I started tightening things from back to front aligning things as I went forward and torqued the header nuts last.

I put everything together dry and after it was all tightened up, I fired the bike up to check for exhaust leaks and found none.  I then let it cool completely and retorqued the header nuts before putting all the plastic back on.  I found no problems with the fit to the faring when done.

When I put the full muzzy exhaust on a couple of years ago I used these style nuts ... https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Fuji-Style-Metric-M8x1-25x12mm/dp/B005PU94NY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bolt+fuji+style+metric+locknuts&qid=1620211706&sr=8-3

I don't remember if these are the correct size so you will need to check that before ordering, but this is the style I got and I just re-used them for the BW header.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline katata1100

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
So, you didn’t need to use that tube of exhaust sealant ?
Those nuts look good but they’ll take at least a week to arrive . I want to
get this installed today.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:51:13 AM »
No sealant used on mine.  I put it together slowly and carefully, it goes together pretty tight but seemed to seal up on it's own well.

You can re-use the stock header nuts if you don't want to wait, they should be fine.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:30:57 AM »
What’s easier to undress-a woman in a Victorian dress around 1903, or a concours 14?
I’ve removed the lower plastic but the upper was tough . I removed the lowers once to install my mccruise but never the upper front. It was surprising how loose all the screws were, one even fell off and was stuck in a crevice. All of the exhaust nuts were super loose.
Should be a lot of “ fun” putting this 3d puzzle together.
The exhaust gaskets popped out easily with this this tool (https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/hook-and-pick-set/oemtools-hook-and-pick-6-piece-set/1069074_0_0?spps.s=4163&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:TLS:71700000060668368&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakgk3OxewzW7-IEEuwwcQetGRvv-HyJy8RLQQjp_G6W-bZmUJcd9p_kaAtXkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds , $1.80 at Harbour Freight)
I used the L pick, took three minutes for all four cylinders.
Right now, stock header is removed. I’ll install the BW today , and start assembling the fairing .

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 03:56:41 PM »
I have it installed
Is it normal for the number two down pipe to have the clearance of a stack of three quarters from bottom of radiator ?
As for the rest, there is about a 1/4” of clearance between a pipe and a part of black lower fairing and and one connector  piece appears to have the rubber on a spring almost touching
Is this normal or should i take it all apart and try again?
I ran the engine and heard no leaks so I got some heat shield and applied it on the lower black fairing piece just in case.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:14:55 PM by katata1100 »