Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729729 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1800 on: October 10, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
Strange goings on here last night.  Lots of helos flying low, fast, and noisy.  Something is going on...  I'm thinking attack helicopters by their speed.  Some have lots of lights, some just have a red light flashing.  Traveling in pairs it seems.  I'm sure they're doing some training out of AP Hill.  It's nice to hear the noise, even though it's unexpected.  Reminds me of my childhood on AF bases with the bombers taking off and landing.  I love that noise.

Were the helos black?  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1801 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »
As far as I could tell, yes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1802 on: October 10, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
The Rolling Stones and its members are legendary for both their performances as well as their outrageous (and excessive) behavior over the years. But the one that I think is most interesting is Charlie Watts: he has been married to the same woman since 1964, apparently does not "partake" of groupies. He did have a drug and alcohol problem but took care of it quietly in his usual manner and has apparently been clean for decades. He is well known for his excellent grooming and dress, things often at odds with the 'rock 'n roll' lifestyle.

As the story goes: one night an intoxicated Mick Jagger called Watts in his hotel room, in the middle of the night, and asked "Where's my drummer". Watts had been asleep but got up, fully dressed including jacket, tie and freshly shined shoes, went down to the room where the others were.... being loud and obnoxious apparently, punched Jagger in the face and exclaimed 'Don't you ever call me 'your drummer' again. You're my XXXXing singer!'

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1803 on: October 11, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
Strange goings on here last night.  Lots of helos flying low, fast, and noisy.  Something is going on...  I'm thinking attack helicopters by their speed.  Some have lots of lights, some just have a red light flashing.  Traveling in pairs it seems.  I'm sure they're doing some training out of AP Hill.  It's nice to hear the noise, even though it's unexpected.  Reminds me of my childhood on AF bases with the bombers taking off and landing.  I love that noise.
Where are you located relative to the facility?
When Dona and I lived off 30 north of Hanover, that was the progression that always proceeded the start of the "big booms", eminating from A.P. Hill. They are the worlds largest facility for training our boys in I.E.D destruction, they do a sweep, with I.R. to make sure its an all clear condition prior to holding a major blast a thon. At times it would shake the house, they reported on it a couple times on the local news, that charges up to 40# of C4 were being used to destroy artilliary shells in quantity in bunkers as practice... they backed off somewhat after major complaints, from as far as 30 miles... it has a lot to do with the cieling levels and wind direction as far as how the concussion travels.

Expect big booms come tonight, they always did it around 11 pm on sundays... or whenever they were certain sattelites could not do telemetry or photos of the ops.
This is the time of year they also do really low level troop drops there, and both the choppers and the C130's would fly over our house at about 200 ft, repeatedly.. airfield is short takeoff for sure, it adjacent to 2 and 606,. Seen those big birds swoop down there one day on a ride... freaked me out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:08:42 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1804 on: October 11, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
They usually boom on rainy days or just before so that the rounds don't burn up everything..  Haven't heard that lately though.  We're a bit north of them in KG.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1805 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »
The worlds tallest cow.

Blossom is the newly dubbed tallest cow in the world and she's a pet.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillypets/Illinois-pet-dubbed-worlds-tallest-cow.html

ORANGEVILLE, Ill. (AP) — A 6-foot-4-inch (at the shoulder) cow owned by an Illinois woman was recently dubbed the world's tallest.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:52:28 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #1806 on: October 15, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
Looks like they crossed it with a moose.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1807 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
I'm going to have me some Effen vodka and go to bed...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1808 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Easy there Rich or you may be seeing really, really large pink cows in your sleep.... :-)

Brian

I'm going to have me some Effen vodka and go to bed...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1809 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
"This is a sharp Medicine, but it is a Physician for all diseases and miseries."
-Sir Walter Raleigh  after being shown the ax that would be used to behead him.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1810 on: October 18, 2014, 06:04:40 AM »
It was Effen good!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1811 on: October 18, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1812 on: October 19, 2014, 05:49:39 AM »
A lot of industrial hemp was grown in Ill-inois for the war effort. The 'Law' was still trying to eradicate the last of the wild hemp,aka ditch weed, in the late sixties/early seventies.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1813 on: October 19, 2014, 05:55:20 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1814 on: October 19, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
A lot of industrial hemp was grown in Ill-inois for the war effort. The 'Law' was still trying to eradicate the last of the wild hemp,aka ditch weed, in the late sixties/early seventies.

If I'd known about that I would have volunteered to help the effort with no pay and I'd take the plants off their hands but no such luck.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1815 on: October 19, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »
Mexican was $15 for a three finger lid so there wasn't much call for the wild weed except for volume. Or so I heard.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1816 on: October 19, 2014, 07:41:47 AM »
I bet... :rotflmao:   

Well that's interesting, he stopped laughing.

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1818 on: October 24, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
Cool1 I wonder how much manual programing goes into that. Or is there some automation with sound recognition? How long would it take to reprogram to another song?

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1819 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
I bet... :rotflmao:   

Well that's interesting, he stopped laughing.

He's laughing again..... :o