Author Topic: For you Connie lovers out there...  (Read 3197 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: For you Connie lovers out there...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
Beautiful pics.  Those were from before my days of serving in the AF!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
This was taken by my dad in the early 60's at Prestwick, Scotland.  There was an AF installation there at the time, although this was a Navy aircraft...

It was slide taken on a Voigtlander II, which I still have in my possession and still use.

It took me awhile to track down where it was taken.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
This was taken by my dad in the early 60's at Prestwick, Scotland.  There was an AF installation there at the time, although this was a Navy aircraft...

It was slide taken on a Voigtlander II, which I still have in my possession and still use.

It took me awhile to track down where it was taken.

NICE!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »
Why does it have a bluish cast?  Not all my dad's slides came out that way, in fact, very few.

Some more information on that particular aircraft...

This Naval aircraft started out as an EC-121K and was converted to an EC-121P sometime in 1963 for Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW).  Converted back to EC-121K in April of 1967.  It was sent to MASDC for storage in Dec of 1972.  It was scrapped May 21, 1976. 
Tail number is 145938 with an MJ designation on the tail.  MJ on the tail indicates it was part of VW-11.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Why does it have a bluish cast?  Not all my dad's slides came out that way, in fact, very few.

Some more information on that particular aircraft...

This Naval aircraft started out as an EC-121K and was converted to an EC-121P sometime in 1963 for Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW).  Converted back to EC-121K in April of 1967.  It was sent to MASDC for storage in Dec of 1972.  It was scrapped May 21, 1976. 
Tail number is 145938 with an MJ designation on the tail.  MJ on the tail indicates it was part of VW-11.

The "temp" is too "cold" on that exposure.  If it was to warm, it'd be the orangish color. You can use lightroom or such to adjust the temp to be more natural

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
So it was taken in colder temps?  Cause there isn't any such temp adj on that camera.  It is what it is.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
So it was taken in colder temps?  Cause there isn't any such temp adj on that camera.  It is what it is.

No, I didn't explain it right. When a pic is too "blue" tintish its cold, like a 6K HID light. When a pic is orangish its too "warm", such as an old tungsten bulb or orangish streetlight.

If the pic is scanned into a digital file format, one can tweak the temps to the correct values

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
Well, I still have the slide.  It was originally done with a commercial outfit.  I do have some of my own slide to digital apparatus so I may work on tweaking it some.  Thanks for the explanation... :finger_fing11:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
It's sister, the "Triple Nickel" is on display at Wright-Pat.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
Yep, seen it there as well. 

And even more photos of the Super Connie (No, not the C14)..

http://www.efha.eu/SuperConnyBook.pdf

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Like a P-51 if an airplane can be sexy the Constellation is!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »
Those things were true flying art. 

I'm sure the bare aluminum Connie was designed for cruiser owners who didn't have enough chrome to polish.

The future will not be "bright".  It's hard to get a good shine on carbon-fiber.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Sweetness!!!!  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey