Author Topic: VA Residents - new laws being looked at for licensing of MC and scooter riders  (Read 795 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Sent to me via the local Honda MC store....

The Department of Motor Vehicles wants to create three classes of motorcycle endorsements. 
  -M endorsements would grandfather all existing motorcyclist where they can ride both two and three wheeled motorcycle.

-M2 endorsements would allow motorcyclists to ride only two-wheeled motorcycles

-M3 endorsements would allow motorcyclists to ride only a three-wheeled motorcycle

As dealers and motorcyclists we are willing to accept two endorsements the M and M-3:

-M endorsements would allow motorcyclists to ride both two and three wheeled motorcycles after passing a two-wheeled motorcycle safety course or passing the written and riding test at DMV on a two-wheeled vehicle.

-M3 endorsements would allow motorcyclists to ride only three-wheeled motorcycles.

We are fine with two endorsements as Trikes have been around for approximately 60 years and we would like to think that people haven?t gotten dumber in that time. Many two wheeled riders have moved onto the three wheeled motorcycles for numerous reasons. They managed to do this without having to retest at the DMV. Also, if you were to put a sidecar only you two-wheeled motorcycle you would have to pass the M-3 test in order to ride it legally. Furthermore, you would not be able to do even a test ride on a 3-wheeled motorcycle unless you first passed the M-3 ? three wheel test.
There are several bills that are flying through the halls of our Virginia General Assembly that can change a new riders? ability to ride.
I am begging you to contact your Legislators to preserve our rights to ride.
HB 1984 Sub is a substitute bill that still includes the call for separate M-2 and M-3 endorsements. We feel that an M and M-3 endorsement is sufficient, as in our neighboring states. Please contact Delegate Joe May on this at DelJMay@house.virginia.gov
SB 1038 is again the DMV bill on the Senate Side it is the same as HB 1984
SB 1007 is a bill will require moped riders to get a drivers license. The problem with this is that many moped riders use mopeds because their license has been revoked. This is their only means of transportation to work. Not good. Senator McWaters is sponsoring this bill. His email is district08@senate.virginia.gov
SB 731 is a bill restricting mopeds to roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less. Bicyclists aren?t restricted why should mopeds? Senator Carrico is sponsoring this bill. His email address is district40@senate.virginia.gov
I am begging you to go to www.vpap.org then go to the ?General Assembly? tab at the top of the page toward the right hand side. Click on this tab and go down under ?Issues? until you find the ?Citizen Guide? and click. On the right hand side of the screen you will see a box that says ?On Line Resources? under this you will find ?Who are my Legislators? click on this and you are on your way to sharing your opinion of the bills listed above. This will put you on a screen where you put in your name, address, etc., fill out and hit the button on the bottom and it will input your senator and delegate information where you can show your displeasure of these bills.
Immediate action is necessary ? we need to show our displeasure before they vote. Please take action today. If you don?t take action ? you have no right to complain.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.