Author Topic: U-2  (Read 2203 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
U-2
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »
U-2 in HD

I can distinctly remember my Dad telling us that there was one on base in the early 60's.  He even pointed out the hanger....   They were totally hush hush then.  This was at RAF Upper Heyford and we were walking home from the theater (Roy Rogers was playing).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: U-2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
Yep they operated out of Heyford for a time but were later moved to Mildenhall. A friend was stationed there with those a/c.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:23:59 AM »
I saw a drone in the back of a hanger a while back while on a business trip to Redstone Arsenal in Alabama, reminded me of these U-2 I saw back when I was in the AF

I asked my host about it and he wouldn't say much except "Redstone is more about the missiles than the drone itself"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
In doing a little investigating that would have been the summer of 1962...right after my dad was stationed there.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline cog4030

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:42:48 AM »
There was one at U-Tapao RTAFB in 71 when I was there.

It was crazy how they took off ( the wing wheels fell off )and landed ( a serviceman in the back of a El Camino with a big mitt to grab the wing tip to keep it from tipping over until they stuck the wing wheels back on !!! )

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
You guys read the story about the chase cars right?
Was that posted here?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
I've heard that before so it was either here or somewhere else...

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
The U2 had more in common with a glider than with a typical Air Force aircraft. It has a center wheel and a tail wheel, high-aspect ratio wings, no pressurization and the need for absolute maximum efficiency. Most modern gliders now have a wing-tip skid instead of wheels, but most U2 era gliders had wing tip wheels -- they just did not fall off when the glider left the ground. It is really quite amazing the efficiency compromises that are made to the wing when you put two main wheels in it. This aircraft rates with the most successful aircraft ever built.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »
When those things are flying at 70,000 feet, they are within ten knots of entering an unrecoverable stall, which could push the airplane past Vne before the control surfaces become effective again.

I've seen those fly out of and land at Beale before.  They use Camaros as chase cars now.