Author Topic: '08 Connie Burned my inside thighs after 45 minutes in 95° TX heat  (Read 15702 times)

Offline Zixxer10r

Re: '08 Connie Burned my inside thighs after 45 minutes in 95° TX heat
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
I did TONS of research on the bike before I bought it, I even took a "test drive" (and by that, the dealership took me around the block at speeds under 40mph, barely 2nd gear needed...so not a good test), i read every single professional review on the bike i could find, multiple posts here, complaint report aggregators and the like.  I was convinced that with the Zteve foam blockers, the flaws that Kawi fixed in 2010 were not going to be an issue.  Never once did i come across any information that said people were getting burned by the area just below the gas tank, wouldn't have given a second thought to buying the Sprint ST that i was considering as well had I run across information about burning. 

So i buy the bike, finally get some quality saddle time and then i get burned.  Never once was this an issue i'd heard of before i bought the bike. 

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:33 AM »
I live in Denver, I ride all summer long... it's 95+ everyday... yesterday it was 105*.  Try riding with some mesh overpants... and if you're not riding with boots, those too.  Huge difference than just tossing on some jeans or slacks.

Red 09 C14 33k+ miles.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Don't think I don't appreciate all this advice, and especially since I appear to be against it all.

It's just that I JUST bought the bike, it shouldn't require anything more than the essentials (fuel, oil, a rider) to run great from the factory.  I always wear boots too, I suspect i'd be complaining about my ankles being burned if i didn't.  There is no way i'm going to wear another layer just so I can ride a bike that was designed to be ridden. 

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
Good luck.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
I certainly appreciate that.  Here's hoping the dealership makes all the upgrades necessary, or let's me return the bike and get something else. 

Offline jayke

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »
If you end up getting something else,  stay away from pre-2006 Yamaha FJR's and Honda ST1300's.  They are just as hot.

If you buy used,  I'd strongly suggest a long test ride in what you normally wear.

Good luck.

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
I've got the 09, and the heat was unbearable! Bought a set of Zteve's foam inserts a couple weeks ago and it has completely taken care of the problem.

I have always thought my bike ran hotter than normal since the fans would kick on almost immediately when stopped, even in mild weather. I worried that Zteve's inserts might hinder the evacuation of heat from the motor, but I think it's quite the opposite. The fans are not coming on as often now and I'm completely happy. It was 102 here in Houston that last few days, and no problems at all!  :hail:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
I've got those panels from Zteve now, i'll probably run them up to the dealership and tell them to install them since they'll already have the bike in pieces.  I really hope they can get this bike cooled down, the bike makes me wanna get on it and ride somewhere for the weekend.  My vulcan didn't do that. 

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
I need a set of those too. So many farkles...so little cash.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
Well folks, the dealership got back with me and told me the system was working normally and within spec perfectly so......it's going on consignment there.  I just can't stand to be on a 150° bike when it's over 100° for months at a time. 

Someone tell me the good news that the newer Connies don't have massive heat issues in the same areas as this!  I really liked the bike for the short amount of time i had with it!  Also, big props to Cycle Center of Denton for bending over backwards to accommodate my wishy-washy transaction. 

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
I need a set of those too. So many farkles...so little cash.

I'll shoot mine over to ya for the same price I paid, if you want them.  I (obviously) won't be needing them any longer.  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
You'd really have to hear from the '10 owners on up that had 08/09 bikes but as far as I know, Kwak did extensive heat mods on those bikes.  Can't say that I've heard any complaints on heat from them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
I bought an 2011 because I rode the 09 and the heat was a serious issue for me. The 2010 and newer bike has no heat issue. The linked brakes take some getting used to though. Overall I love the C14 and am very very happy with it.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
You'd really have to hear from the '10 owners on up that had 08/09 bikes but as far as I know, Kwak did extensive heat mods on those bikes.  Can't say that I've heard any complaints on heat from them.

Actually the my '10 is the coolest bike I've ever ridden, or sat at scorching FL red lights on. I can't compare it to the earlier models, but I can say heat is a non-issue for me on this bike.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline cltsig

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
I went from an '08 to '11 and it's night and day regarding heat.  Many other nice upgrades too - outside temp, useful (kinda) glove box, etc. but the heat is non-existent.  Make no mistake, though, that riding a bike with a fairing like this blocks wind and you'll have heat but it's not anything like the 08/09 but more like a normal motorcycle experience heat.  Trust me, it makes the bike usable during the summer months.

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Why not try the Zteve inserts first before getting rid of it?! Makes a world of difference and simple to install!!!

:banghead:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
Mainly because that's not where the burn marks happened.  I have those panels, but to be honest, since i wear boots with everything, it didn't really effect me like my thighs were affected. 

Offline Fretka

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
When I turboed my 09 I had a good opportunity to see how Kawasaki dealt with heat problems. It appears to me that they ducted the rads properly and then sealed all airflow to the engine proper. There is even a plastic dam above the radiator in addition to all the foam rubber found elsewhere. BandAids.

Clearly they did not take engine heat into account (or accord enough importance) when they designed the frame. I suspect they knew full well that this was an issue at a late stage in design but could not make changes until the next re-design.

What I found was that engine heat was soaking the frame backbone and then the tank above it with no way to supply and vent cooling air due to the close clearance and sealing panels and foam.

This whole idea of a backbone monocoque frame has some very serious drawbacks when it comes to heat and serviceability.

Anyway, I used the 2 air intakes located below the headlights normally used for engine intake and directed them to the area between the motor and frame and let it exhaust at the back bottom of the gearbox area. This fixed the issue by about 80%.
I realize that this cannot be done to normally aspirated bikes but it gives you an idea of what is going on design-wise.
I agree with the OP in returning the bike, it should function correctly right off the showroom floor. On the other hand it is also one of the reasons that brand new 09's can be had for a deep discount.

What we see here is an early decision to go with a frame that offers narrowness and airbox integration and then let the follow-on engineers try to deal with the negative issues that this design causes.

The loss of the current backbone frame would be a large improvement IMHO.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
I'll shoot mine over to ya for the same price I paid, if you want them.  I (obviously) won't be needing them any longer.  :(
Someone will buy them From Ya. I can't swing it though. Just too many irons in the fire right now. Thanks for the offer.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline texrider

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »
Mainly because that's not where the burn marks happened.  I have those panels, but to be honest, since i wear boots with everything, it didn't really effect me like my thighs were affected.

Boots may not go with everything. Try pantyhose.
2014 Valkyrie