Author Topic: how to refuel a C14- Warning Sticker  (Read 8766 times)

Offline Zacharykro6

how to refuel a C14- Warning Sticker
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
Near the fuel cap on my brand new C14 there is a warning not to fill the tank so that there is fuel in the filler neck.

Does this mean that I can not fill the tank to the point that the pump shuts itself off?

I always fill my tank while on the side stand , I had a bad experience where I overfilled a tank while on the center stand and set it on a side stand then fuel came thru the cap seal and covered the tank
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: how to refuel a C14- Warning Sticker
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
I fill until the pump shuts off, then pull it out (easy boys) a little and run it in easy until it is just at the filler neck.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
Here is my own warning. Fill it as far as you want, I'd say within one half inch of the cap
UNLESS
You are on your way to park the bike, and it is hotter than 75 degrees outside and the bike will be sitting in the sun
OR
You are on your way to park the bike, and it is hotter than 90 degrees under the cover where the bike will be parked.

In other words, if you plan to ride it with it full for at least 1/4 of a gallon, you're fine filling it past the neck.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »
just a suggestion...

might want to find the right section to post this, and other questions to, especially when asking about a bike that has a complete section noted for answering these things... you might get better responses... most people don't read this section.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:26:04 AM »
That's for sure.  I'm going to..

http://youtu.be/hdcTmpvDO0I
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:27:10 AM »
Here is my own warning. Fill it as far as you want, I'd say within one half inch of the cap
UNLESS
You are on your way to park the bike, and it is hotter than 75 degrees outside and the bike will be sitting in the sun
OR
You are on your way to park the bike, and it is hotter than 90 degrees under the cover where the bike will be parked.

In other words, if you plan to ride it with it full for at least 1/4 of a gallon, you're fine filling it past the neck.

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »
+1

+2

The warning is just there to keep people from spilling out gas when pumping or when it later gets hot and the gas expands.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 06:15:14 AM »
Silly question, but does the tank not have an overflow/drainage pipe? ZX12 and ZX14 I previously owned had them. Even the K1200GT B'mer I owned before buying my Connie had it.

I also fill it to almost right up to the cap when riding long distances, but make sure the cap is clear when I'm refuelling and about to park the bike at home.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
Yes it does, but then the gas you just paid for gets peed on the ground.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »

Kind of like beer!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
Not quite. Gas peed on the ground, never was used for its primary use.
Beer, hopefully was used for its primary use by the time it meets its end.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
Maybe I should just pour my beer on the ground. Would be better for my health, well certainly better for my waist and I could buy cheaper beer as I wouldn't care what it tasted like....   NAAAHHHHH

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
You'd still be seen with crappy beer in your hand.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »

Yep, which is also not very good for the environment.  Plus it is flammable/corrosive.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:42 PM »
...but it is lighter than water so it won't sink down into your well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »
...but it is lighter than water so it won't sink down into your well.

That is true, but the big problem with gasoline is that it evaporates- that is the pollutant (and also when it becomes especially flammable).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
As it evaporates it also disperses. And as we all learned in grade school ... the solution to pollution is dilution.   8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
As it evaporates it also disperses. And as we all learned in grade school ... the solution to pollution is dilution.   8)

Hmm....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »
Near the fuel cap on my brand new C14 there is a warning not to fill the tank so that there is fuel in the filler neck.

Does this mean that I can not fill the tank to the point that the pump shuts itself off?

I always fill my tank while on the side stand , I had a bad experience where I overfilled a tank while on the center stand and set it on a side stand then fuel came thru the cap seal and covered the tank

Maybe you need this POS?    ::)

http://www.mccuff.com/      :rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »
Well, it's endorsed by Paul Sr., must be good.    Doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Anyone use one of these?

Holy  :censored: t!  Did you see how much these cost?   :yikes: :loco: :nuts:

http://www.amazon.com/McCuff-Industries-Splash-Spill-Motorcycle/dp/B005UGK43M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463051802&sr=8-1&keywords=mccuff

Are they out of their  :censored: ing minds?