Author Topic: Thinking about new C14  (Read 12389 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Thinking about new C14
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
Wendle,

Don't worry about the ruckus, that's what we do best.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »
FWIW, when comparing prices the only thing that should be considered is the price of the BIKE ONLY.  That is the only CONSTANT since as stated tax and DMV rates vary by state.  Also some shops waive freight/setup or charge different amounts.  OTD only works when comparing the same model at the same dealer.

Offline W14

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
The OTD price is the price on the bottom line of a Bill of Sale, and includes freight, setup and all state taxes/fees. Freight and setup are soft costs that can be jiggled by dealers. State taxes and fees are hard operating costs that have to be remitted back to state/local agencies. As such, it is dicey to compare OTD prices across states because taxes and fees vary and some states access taxes based on where the vehicle is titled rather than where it is purchased. OTD prices within the same state are a legit comparison.

Offline wendel

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 06:37:32 AM »
My tax rate will remain constant no matter where I buy. If I buy out of State like I have done on the last three motorcycles I have bought, then that state does not charge tax because it is not being registered in that state. When I return to Florida is when I pay taxes, title, tag and registration fees. So the only real variables are the dealer fees that they charge for setup, delivery and dealership fees. I have bought numerous motorcycles and cars out of state and this is how the transaction has happened each time. I always figure in the 6% sales tax for my county and guess pretty closely at the registration fees.

In Georgia if you buy from a private party and register the vehicle in Georgia then no sales tax. Buy from a dealership and register in Georgia and there is a sales tax. I have also bought in North Carolina and not paid sales taxes, so in my humble opinion, out the door prices can be compared within a couple hundred dollars.

North Carolina dealer quoted me a better price for a 2012 than local dealer for 2011 and pretty good deal for a 2011. Local dealer (Streit's, Gainesville, Fl.) acted as though they were insulted. Oh well. I try to support local but some just refuse to make it worth your while.
2012 C14

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »
Here is what Troy City has posted on their web Site.  They are not referring to Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki.  Yes this abt Kawi!!

Effective March 1st one of our manufacturers (we sell all 4 Japanese manufacturers and its not HONDA, SUZUKI or YAMAHA) is demanding all dealers post only manufacturers suggested retail pricing on websites or in any advertisement. We feel this policy is illegal and plan to challenge it. Until the issue is resolved we will not use any trademarks of that manufacturer (their name or the names of their models) so that we may post our sale pricing.

My Kawasaki dealer told me recently that Kawasaki is getting ready to demand that dealers do exactly that.  I think it is an idiotic marketing decision.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
I'm not sure if it's illegal or not as I have seen similar things on the net pertaining to other products.  I think this is a reaction from the dealers and not something just coming willy nilly from Kwak HQ.  I would imagine that some dealers got their knickers in a twist over other dealers advertising lower prices and asked Kwak to put a cease and desist on the ones that do.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
I noticed that recently when I posted a link to an Ebay auction from a favorite dealer.  They had MSRP or best offer listed.  They usually list their best price which is usually just under Cherry Hill after the 500 fee they charge.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:47 AM »
The OTD price is the price on the bottom line of a Bill of Sale, and includes freight, setup and all state taxes/fees. Freight and setup are soft costs that can be jiggled by dealers. State taxes and fees are hard operating costs that have to be remitted back to state/local agencies. As such, it is dicey to compare OTD prices across states because taxes and fees vary and some states access taxes based on where the vehicle is titled rather than where it is purchased. OTD prices within the same state are a legit comparison.

+1

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
My tax rate will remain constant no matter where I buy. If I buy out of State like I have done on the last three motorcycles I have bought, then that state does not charge tax because it is not being registered in that state. When I return to Florida is when I pay taxes, title, tag and registration fees. So the only real variables are the dealer fees that they charge for setup, delivery and dealership fees. I have bought numerous motorcycles and cars out of state and this is how the transaction has happened each time. I always figure in the 6% sales tax for my county and guess pretty closely at the registration fees.

In Georgia if you buy from a private party and register the vehicle in Georgia then no sales tax. Buy from a dealership and register in Georgia and there is a sales tax. I have also bought in North Carolina and not paid sales taxes, so in my humble opinion, out the door prices can be compared within a couple hundred dollars.

North Carolina dealer quoted me a better price for a 2012 than local dealer for 2011 and pretty good deal for a 2011. Local dealer (Streit's, Gainesville, Fl.) acted as though they were insulted. Oh well. I try to support local but some just refuse to make it worth your while.

If you traded in the Wing how would that work with sales tax?  If  bought a new Wing for 20,000 and got 10,000 on trade I would only pay tax on the remaining 10,000.  That seems to vary by state as well.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »
Here in Missouri you only pay tax on the difference between your trade in and the new vehicle that you are purchasing.   
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline W14

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
How trade-ins are handled for tax purposes vary by state. In Virginia, the tax is on the purchase price (includes freight, etc) without an allowance for the trade-in. In the example above, the tax would be on the $20,000 wing and not on the difference.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
So what's the verdict Wendel?  A new bike in the stable?

Offline wendel

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »
Still haven't pulled the trigger. I have approved financing with a good rate. I just am not quite happy with the deal yet for a 2012 at a dealership in Ocala, Fl. The problem is, the wing is a great motorcycle and I have some useful add ons already. The C14 is a great motorcycle also. One of the things that frustrated me with the 08 C14 was the seat height even with a Corbin and handlebar risers. i still dropped it several times. You know a particular type of bike gets dropped alot when there is a separate thread dedicated to people dropping them. I have a 30 inch inseam. Also, you have to buy the equipment for music, crashbars, trunk, handlebar risers, new or modified seat so you can somewhat touch the ground when it is level. No cruise control for long trips. I tried the throttlemeiseter and in the mountains it is a constant issue of decreasing speed going uphill and increasing speeds going down. I travel to the mountains quite a bit.

So, I am still considering the C14 and really missing having one. You know, the old grass is always greener on the other side until you get on the other side and you realized it isn't.

Thanks for the interest and the people that have given me some useful leads. Dealer in North Carolina quoted me a pretty strong price. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get away from work and then there is always the possibility that once I traveled all that distance the deal could change and I have wasted the trip and money for nothing. I have an inherent distrust of dealerships as I think many of you do.
2012 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
One of the things that frustrated me with the 08 C14 was the seat height even with a Corbin and handlebar risers. i still dropped it several times.  I have a 30 inch inseam.

HA!  You have long legs.  *I* have a 27" inseam and have not dropped it yet (knock on wood).  Lowering bike, raising boots:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
Still haven't pulled the trigger. I have approved financing with a good rate. I just am not quite happy with the deal yet for a 2012 at a dealership in Ocala, Fl. The problem is, the wing is a great motorcycle and I have some useful add ons already. The C14 is a great motorcycle also. One of the things that frustrated me with the 08 C14 was the seat height even with a Corbin and handlebar risers. i still dropped it several times. You know a particular type of bike gets dropped alot when there is a separate thread dedicated to people dropping them. I have a 30 inch inseam. Also, you have to buy the equipment for music, crashbars, trunk, handlebar risers, new or modified seat so you can somewhat touch the ground when it is level. No cruise control for long trips. I tried the throttlemeiseter and in the mountains it is a constant issue of decreasing speed going uphill and increasing speeds going down. I travel to the mountains quite a bit.

So, I am still considering the C14 and really missing having one. You know, the old grass is always greener on the other side until you get on the other side and you realized it isn't.

Thanks for the interest and the people that have given me some useful leads. Dealer in North Carolina quoted me a pretty strong price. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get away from work and then there is always the possibility that once I traveled all that distance the deal could change and I have wasted the trip and money for nothing. I have an inherent distrust of dealerships as I think many of you do.

IMHO, it seems that the Wing has EVERYTHING that you are looking for.  While I understand that the C14 has the power no Wing will match it.  It becomes an issue of PRIORITIES.  I am a classic example.  I had a great 2008 Wing with the Full Monty Traxxion, it was setup perfectly with several mods and then one day I felt like I did not use it enough to justify the cost so I sold it.  I have had tons of bikes but that 2008 Wing is the only one that I wish I had back and that alone tells me something.  Obviously by looking at my C14 I have it set up for sport-TOURING and always ride two up.  Finances have dictated that I keep the C14 for a few more years and then maybe buy a Wing as that seems to be the prefect platform for me.  I would love to buy a Wing and strip the C14 down and keep it for the twisties as a solo platform but I do not get the time to do that often enough to keep it.  I have my C14 set up pretty well for the riding I do so I am happy at the present time.  Good luck with your decision. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:28:27 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline W14

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
+1, you appear to be on the fence and are not convinced that you really want a C-14. If you buy one and invest in all the needed farkles, you might regret that decision because the C-14 does not suit. You might want to rent a ST to see if that is what you really want, or you might want to invest in a used C-14 that is already farkled-out.

Ride On!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
<snip> i still dropped it several times. You know a particular type of bike gets dropped alot when there is a separate thread dedicated to people dropping them. I have a 30 inch inseam.<snip>

Actually, the CDA thing started with the C10's because of the tall seat, high center of gravity and a very large fuel tank.  It's just a carryover for the C14's.

As also noted, it sounds like the C14 may not be the best bike for you, even if you would like it to be.  Lots of things seem better on paper or in the  imagination than they do in person, and you sound like that was true for you and the C14 the first time around.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »
Actually, the CDA thing started with the C10's because of the tall seat, high center of gravity and a very large fuel tank.  It's just a carryover for the C14's.

And rather heavy/big in general, too.  Yep, sounds like it applies just as well to the C14.  There is no wrestling this bike for me (like my previous two)... when it starts a-tippin' I just know it is going down.  Thankfully it hasn't happened yet, but it will :(   Almost lost it a few weeks ago- I put my foot down right in an oil slick.  The sad part is it was even worse at the NEXT stop (the oil seemed to really like my boot soles).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:10 AM »
+1...  I was out this weekend and nearly went over on a twig probably no larger than a pencil.  My boot went on top of it and it rolled.  Thank goodness I didn't.  I have done the oil dance a number of times.  I hate it when that happens.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline W14

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 04:45:20 AM »
I fortunately have not dropped my C-14, although I have come close...I dropped another bike when I forgot to put the kickstand down.