Author Topic: Brake wear in just 3500 miles  (Read 12227 times)

Offline Eric119

Brake wear in just 3500 miles
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
We are running 2011 Concour14s as a patrol motorcycle. All of our bikes have gone through front pads only after 3500 miles. Almost all of our riding is on city streets, but only 3500 miles is way short of wear comparted to our BMWs. Has anyone out there experienced short ware life on OM installed pads? Other than short brake pad life this has been an excellent platform for a patrol MC,

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Brake wear in just 3500 miles
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
I have never heard of pad life being that short.  Can your department purchase aftermarket pads?  I have EBC  (HH sintered)  pads and they seem to last longer than the stock pads, they also produce alot less dust.  I have about 15,000 miles on my pads with mixed commuting and back road twisty hunting and they have nearly half of their life left.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
I guess all us old farts never exceeding the posted speed limit (Jeremy) allows for longer pad life ;)
My OEM (08) pads didnt make it to 10000 miles, lots of range time and even more I5 stop and go.  I have found the EBCs HHs to offer the best feel and performance, wet and dry and no fade from mid 140 down to 40 rapidly (Advanced Street Skills at Pacific Raceways, please don't mail me a performance award ;D)  To date, Carbonne Lorraines, Wooden feel for close to 1000 miles, great feel at legal speeds, but WOW brake fade at arrest me speeds, pad life was around 12000 miles, and that was about 500 miles too much, I swear %50 of the pads dissapeared in 1000 miles., Galfers, OK pads, never had the feel I liked and I didn't care for the brakes when it was wet out.. tried the EBCs, did an early swap when I wore out the front rotor (EBC Square drive, love em!!).

And, a heartfelt thanks for your service :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
My OEM pads on a 2010 are at 22,000 and still fine. But 90% of my riding is open road. Still, 3500 seems too low.

Offline Eric119

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »
I'll try to post some pics next week. We have changed out pads. Not sure if they were replaced with OEM pads or aftermarket. More to continue.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:11 AM »
Typically they go 10k+.   I had over 15k on mine but it was more country type driving than stop and go.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
We are running 2011 Concour14s as a patrol motorcycle. All of our bikes have gone through front pads only after 3500 miles. Almost all of our riding is on city streets, but only 3500 miles is way short of wear comparted to our BMWs. Has anyone out there experienced short ware life on OM installed pads? Other than short brake pad life this has been an excellent platform for a patrol MC,

How many miles have you gotten out of the front tire?  Maybe I am going out on a limb but is it possible you are enjoying the new found joy of acceleration the the RT did not provide and therefor have to get on the brakes very hard to stop?   ;D  BTW I only get about 4,000-4,500 miles out of a front tire on the RT.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
I don't know about you, but I do engine braking more then I use the brakes.  I have about 16k on it and the front brakes are probably still have 75% left.

Sine you set the bike up as patrol bike, could it be the accessories weight down the front?  Or the LEOs were just out of shape like they showed in COPS?   :o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »
Engine braking does not work in patrol riding.  I am guessing that their riding style and the additional gear is causing the issue.  However, the C14 has been used as a police bike long enough to present an issue if there was one.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Engine braking does not work in patrol riding.  I am guessing that their riding style and the additional gear is causing the issue.  However, the C14 has been used as a police bike long enough to present an issue if there was one.

And why is that? An inline 4 is built for revving, use the engine and gearing for the intended purpose.....they are not old fashioned Vtwins or boxers. Even the boxer twins in BMW RT's are somewhat similar to the Roadkings, and the C14 more than likely weighs less than both.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
I don't know about you, but I do engine braking more then I use the brakes.  I have about 16k on it and the front brakes are probably still have 75% left.

Sine you set the bike up as patrol bike, could it be the accessories weight down the front?  Or the LEOs were just out of shape like they showed in COPS?   :o

That type of comment does nothing to help in solving the problem at hand.  >:(   He came to us for help and advice.  Let's show that we're deserving of that.

Any other LEOs that ride C14s have this issue?  I'm in agreement that this bike has been modified for LEO usage for awhile.  We haven't heard of that short of lifetime on the front brakes.  Is it possible that the caliper's are sticking and causing the wear?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
And why is that? An inline 4 is built for revving, use the engine and gearing for the intended purpose.....they are not old fashioned Vtwins or boxers. Even the boxer twins in BMW RT's are somewhat similar to the Roadkings, and the C14 more than likely weighs less than both.

Trust me Pokey, you are one guy that I don't wanna get on the bad side of.
OK, just imagine accelerating from 0-whatever in a matter of seconds to catch a violator, then brake from whatever-required speed using only the engine for braking purposes.  I can simply state that you need more braking than the engine is providing.  In addition you want immediate stopping and control of the rate to a desired safe distance.  The progressive engine braking does not take this into account.  That does not include the emergency braking due to the idiots stopping in the middle of the road.  Repeat this over and over all day and you quickly understand why they go through brakes faster.  With that all being said I do understand what you are stating and why, I just feel that it takes conditions for granted that are not always present.  However 3500 miles still seems a little premature.  I think Jim may have a possible idea with the calipers.   

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »

Right about that...you should have seen him before he cleaned himself up.  Scary fellow indeed.  Did a bit of movie work on the side. 

Jokers amazing laugh!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
OK, just imagine accelerating from 0-whatever in a matter of seconds to catch a violator, then brake from whatever-required speed using only the engine for braking purposes.  I can simply state that you need more braking than the engine is providing.  In addition you want immediate stopping and control of the rate to a desired safe distance.  The progressive engine braking does not take this into account.  That does not include the emergency braking due to the idiots stopping in the middle of the road.  Repeat this over and over all day and you quickly understand why they go through brakes faster.  With that all being said I do understand what you are stating and why, I just feel that it takes conditions for granted that are not always present.  However 3500 miles still seems a little premature.  I think Jim may have a possible idea with the calipers.

Yeah I see your points, but the brakes on the Roadkings are ancient junk and can hardly stop that monstrosity when not breaking hard. :o I am betting something is just not right with that C14, the rotors should have issues way before the pads wear.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline SPX

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
That type of comment does nothing to help in solving the problem at hand.  >:(   He came to us for help and advice.  Let's show that we're deserving of that.

Any other LEOs that ride C14s have this issue?  I'm in agreement that this bike has been modified for LEO usage for awhile.  We haven't heard of that short of lifetime on the front brakes.  Is it possible that the caliper's are sticking and causing the wear?

Weak points of the C14P as seen in my agency:

1. Tire life is very low. About 70% of what we see on RTPs. Luck is on your side if you see 4,500 miles.

2. Brake life is very low. About 40% of the RTP. 5,500-6,000 miles if treated gently.

3. Downtime for 7.5k and 15k inspections about 2x longer than RTP.

The above being said, it is a great bike as long as selected with the above in mind. Also, Kawasaki Authority Sales provides great support for the C14P

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »
Weak points of the C14P as seen in my agency:

1. Tire life is very low. About 70% of what we see on RTPs. Luck is on your side if you see 4,500 miles.

2. Brake life is very low. About 40% of the RTP. 5,500-6,000 miles if treated gently.

3. Downtime for 7.5k and 15k inspections about 2x longer than RTP.

The above being said, it is a great bike as long as selected with the above in mind. Also, Kawasaki Authority Sales provides great support for the C14P

your profile does not give us much info as to location, and or the TYPE of scenario the majority of the miles are as to nature of road/terrain/city/highway split....so, realistically I can only ASSUME the majority of the service miles these are seeing is 100% in city-stop-go-seldom stretching 30 miles without stopping scenario.

In reality, I don't believe there would be any bike short of a klunky Harley that would match brake "life" in that scenario.

Understand that those of us that have been riding this bike for 5 years now, many of us find a happy and common 20k mile front brake life, and a similar 6k tire life. Lots of us ride 2 up, and load the beast down heavy touring. with that said, I believe it is the "corner-to-corner" city thing that is killing the brakes. No other reason. Your patrollers are using the front brakes probably 500% more "per mile traveled" than most of us. Maybe closer to 1000% at times. I know I have jumped on a road and literally driven 500 miles without ever using the front brakes.... (well, maybe once or twice for a fuel stop, but you get the picture..). If Kaw has such a report with your ( and hopefully other) LEO agencies, I would expect your agencies to pose a serious gripe with Kaw, and tell them without a doubt you NEED better/longer lasting front brakes..... They will listen, just as they have to us here, and in the backround they will get busy doing something to remedie it....(like thicker pads...."for police use only"   ;D)
In the end it's all about feedback, and when the feedback is directed from the agencies to the manufacturer, they MUST do something to insure the future use of the machine, and gurantee those "big buck profits paid by the taxpayer", contract bikes....get the picture? ;)

THIS is how we load the bike, and it is a light load....my big butt adds another #250 in gear.....
and yes, this was taken at a DONUT shop....heheheheh 8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:31:39 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
Well said, Rich.  :goodpost:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
Right about that...you should have seen him before he cleaned himself up.  Scary fellow indeed.  Did a bit of movie work on the side. 

Jokers amazing laugh!!

I miss that avatar Poke...  :(

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
My RT used to eat rear brake pads for lunch, and I got a little over 20K on my front pads.  I'm at about 20K on my C14, and all pads still look great.  Same riding style, and the C14 is a much heavier bike.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
I could gain 300 pounds and do track days 3 times a week and not eat pads that fast  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine