Author Topic: Some General Questions, Gear vs Speed  (Read 9355 times)

Offline danl

Some General Questions, Gear vs Speed
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
I have a little over 350 miles on the C14 now. (I'd have a lot more if it had not been crappy Sunday and Monday!.)

I have a few questions that have come up as I ride. I've also searched for and found some answer on some things. stuff.

Cruising RPM- coming from a cruiser, low rpm's are normal. On the Connie, running around 3-4k seems to be adequate, I can roll on the throttle for minor speed changes without downshifting, etc. What do you guys like to run the bike at if you are riding around? Like if you are on a 40mph road keeping a steady pace, do you keep it in a lower gear and let it rev higher, or do you pick the highest gear that will let you keep the rpms where the engine isn't struggling? Are you running 5k rpm or anything like that? I guess what I'm asking is what is the best operating range for the bike?

6th gear- when are you kicking it in? I've been using it around 70 if I'm at a steady cruising pace.

I'm still taking it easy on the throttle, trying to keep the rpm's down under 4-5k for the break in period though I do roll it up a little higher once in a while, like pulling out into traffic on the interstate. Even in the 3-4k range, I'm really enjoying the quickness of this bike. My Vulcan could go over 100- plenty fast enough for any road I ride on. I only ever do that on a couple back roads that have no side entries and good visibilty, so it's not real far or real often. Plus, it took a half mile to get up to that speed from 60 or so. I'll treat the Connie the same. What I really like is the roll on power. Yesterday I came out of a 35 zone that went up to 50 out in the country. I was in 3rd gear, gave it just a little throttle, and was up to 80 in the blink of an eye.

I made a couple adjustments to the suspension today, since I'm a larger guy, 6'2 and 260lbs. I beefed up the preload from what the MOM says for a 150lb rider. I didn't get a lot of twisties on my ride up to a lunch meeting today so I'm not sure how it will feel, but hopefully it'll be a good adjustment for my size.

I'm sure I'll have some more later, but thanks for looking at these!
Dan
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:18:58 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Some General Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
Dan, you will quickly get used to the higher/faster revving of this engine. I come from sportbikes and this is my first sport-touring bike and it really is a nice bike to switch to (from a TL1000R). I have gotten to just under redline in second gear and was going just over 90mph, so you won't have a problem getting to 100 if you choose simply by leaving the bike in third gear from your 35mph zone.

Take your time and get her broken in well and then find the redline and bump into the rev limiter so you know what it feels like to do so. I have not done it on this bike yet, but will be doing so soon.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
I'm still getting used to riding my 14 (4500 miles in)... and find that I target 4-5k for most commuting. I stay a little higher if I'm in the twisties.

As for OD... I very seldom use it, even on highways. I've played with the mileage calculator on the dash, and it seems that the bike prefers OD mainly on flat ground, 70-75, in ECO mode. Outside of those parameters, the bike thinks it gets better mileage in 5th. Others with more miles on will have better input here.

Like Vonhoff said, this motor likes RPM, so don't be afraid of running the RPMs more.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Khrome

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
I never "run" in a higher rpm than necessary to not lug the motor... Have you bothered to read the shift table in the owners manual?  It might surprise you  :o
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
Cruising RPM- coming from a cruiser, low rpm's are normal. On the Connie, running around 3-4k seems to be adequate, I can roll on the throttle for minor speed changes without downshifting, etc.

Minor, indeed.  At 3K, the Concours has very little power.  Seems to think about coming out of sleep mode at 3.6 and start coming to life at 4.

What do you guys like to run the bike at if you are riding around? Like if you are on a 40mph road keeping a steady pace, do you keep it in a lower gear and let it rev higher, or do you pick the highest gear that will let you keep the rpms where the engine isn't struggling? Are you running 5k rpm or anything like that? I guess what I'm asking is what is the best operating range for the bike?

Well, it "depends".  If I am on a straight-away with little chance of needing to accelerate or decelerate, I will ride at around 3 to 3.5.  That will provide the best gas mileage with the least amount of noise, vibration, wear, heat, etc.  But if I need to be more spirited, it really needs to stay above 4-4.5.

6th gear- when are you kicking it in? I've been using it around 70 if I'm at a steady cruising pace.

Yep, that's about right.  60MPH+ or so.  Anything slower than that puts the bike at too low an RPM and it will strain with even the slightest need for increasing speed.  Interestingly, the 10's rule seems to work on the Concours.  Cruise at around 10x the gear number.  Of course, that is a bit simplistic, and it isn't quite that linear, but it is a great one-line description.

My Vulcan could go over 100- plenty fast enough for any road I ride on.

It's not about top speed- its about acceleration.  Just wait 'til you start to really open her up... you probably won't miss the Vucan any ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline danl

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
I never "run" in a higher rpm than necessary to not lug the motor... Have you bothered to read the shift table in the owners manual?  It might surprise you  :o

Yes, I read it. 5th to 6th @ 34mph? Are they serious? I bet most people shift from 1st to 2nd at that speed.

Offline danl

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

It's not about top speed- its about acceleration.  Just wait 'til you start to really open her up... you probably won't miss the Vucan any ;)

I'm not missing the Vulcan, believe me! I'm already enjoying the limited acceleration I'm letting myself have right now. I always enjoyed the Vulcan, but it was never like this.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
Just wait till you get above 7k in second... better hold on  ;D I, too, came from a vulcan.. Can't say I've made a better decision in a long time :)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »
Yes, I read it. 5th to 6th @ 34mph? Are they serious? I bet most people shift from 1st to 2nd at that speed.

good to know that I am not the only one who reads the manuals...
Anyway, you're right: if I'm driving... ahem... spirited, I shift to second at abou that speed.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:04:17 AM »
3500 rpm
6=75
5=65
4=55
below 3500 I'm stopped are stopping

Offline Khrome

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »
I'm not missing the Vulcan, believe me! I'm already enjoying the limited acceleration I'm letting myself have right now. I always enjoyed the Vulcan, but it was never like this.

To clarify:

I am still in break in also, I said I don't run in a higher gear than needed to not lug the motor... When around town, I just shift at lower speeds like I would on a cruiser.  I think about it in terms of gas mileage.  If I'm driving through or around town at say 35mph I am going to get better mileage in 5th than I am 4th, so if it doesn't "feel" like I'm lugging it down I use the lower rpm gear to get the little extra mpg... So then I use that savings to wind in it up some when I get out of town  :thumbs:

I hate when I see a kid(and theres one in particular)that rides through and around town here on an older 600cc sport bike and I'm pretty sure he's in second gear all the time, his bike has a pipe so it sounds like he's going about 60mph all the time cause he's revving up so much...

I know these engines are designed for the rpms but I just don't ride in higher than I have to rpms unless I am being a hooligan.  ;D
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline danl

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
Khrome, I understand what you are saying. I've been doing the same thing, though running with a little higher rpm than I would on my Vulcan. Going thru town at 25, I'm doing 2nd gear at around 3000rpm, the bike seems to run fine there. That's why I was asking, if it seems ok in that range am I doing the right thing, or should I be running it up higher in the 4-5k range in 1st gear.

I totally agree about the riders who sound like they are on a weed whacker. I'm sure there is a place for those kinds of revs, maybe if you are in the twisties and want the rpms up so you can have better throttle response, but cruising thru town at 25, no need for it. That's as bad as the "loud pipes save lives" crew who have to rev out 1st gear from stop sign to stop sign and then continually crack the throttle as they are stopped.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I think I'm doing ok so far. All part of the adjustment of coming from a bike that red lines at 5800 to a bike that is just starting to get it's groove on there.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:55:17 AM »
Even with the flies removed and a PC V I find that the bike is happiest above 3600 rpm in any gear. I can cruise
along at most highway speeds around 4000 rpm in 5th. Accelerating from zero to highway speeds or overtaking someone is different of course.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »
60 mph seems to be the sweet spot where it's best to go to 6th for flat road cruising.  Under that the motor seems to be lugging, and over that I think you're just wasting engine revs and gas.  Hitting the twisties, of course, is an entire separate thing.  I rarely get beyond 4th gear below 80 mph.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
I like speed as much as anyone here probably, but there are times to use the RPM's for spirited runs through the gears, then there is just cruising.  I have never seen a reason to not shift to the highest gear that I can when just cruising around.   I've been in sixth gear many times at 35 mph.  Nothing bad has happened.  ;)
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
KiPASS   is wonderful!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:41 AM »
I usually don't hang out in first gear for very long, unless I'm feeling a little frisky. Running a lot at around 3,000 RPM when just cruising around, almost always below 4,000. Even when riding fairly spirited, I use 6,500-7,000 RPM shifts most of the time, although I have run it up to near redline when "necessary".

Sixth gear is a waste of time unless you're cruising the flat interstate. If I recall, at 70 mph there is only about 500 RPM difference between 5th and 6th (I'll have to check that out to be sure).

Just wait until you're done with the break in, find yourself on a lonely straight stretch of backroad, and feel the urge to see just how quick this thing accelerates. Twist the throttle and hang on!! You'll find that triple digits are within the range of 2nd gear and that you'll get there quite quickly.

I heard a rumor once that a guy that looked kinda like me actually hit the rev-limiter in fifth gear one time, but as I say, it's just a rumor.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Just after purchasing mine, while entering a lonely section of west Texas highway, I hit the rev-limiter in 3rd gear. This was the first time I had hit it, and at first I thought I had broken something in the motor. I hadn't and I was shocked by how fast I had gotten there, and how fast I was moving:)

Offline Fretka

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
After the motor is broken-in don't be afraid to spin the motor up to high rpm's. The motor was designed to spin at these high rpm's and not so much the low big v-twin power range. IMHO the motor would prefer 8k rpm than 1500- 3000 any day. Just don't lug it and it will be happy.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
I totally agree about the riders who sound like they are on a weed whacker. [...] cruising thru town at 25, no need for it. That's as bad as the "loud pipes save lives" crew who have to rev out 1st gear from stop sign to stop sign and then continually crack the throttle as they are stopped.

+100
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc