Author Topic: c14 in the canyons  (Read 9644 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: c14 in the canyons
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
I've asked in the past and never have received a clear answer.  I understand that the states do not mark all equivalent corners the same, but let's take a hypothetical "average" 30mph corner.  The 848 was mentioned for crazy, law-breaking speeds.  What kind of speed is that?  The C14 is obviously of taking the corner over 30mph w/o effort, so what is meant. 

As long as we are talking hypothetical, I would think that a C14 could take the corner at 60mph w/o stressing, and 75 w/some concentration, but w/o dragging anything, at least w/ peg feelers removed.  So what are the theoretical cornering speeds of the C14, VFR and 848/SS class bikes?  2.5x, 3.0x, 3.5x, 4.0x the posted speeds?  I don't consider myself a fast or skilled rider, but it seems like people (squids) manage to crash at speeds lower that what I ride at, and others on much "lesser" bikes are able to run much faster than I care to, or am able to.
Any takers on the question?  Just hypothetical.  Closed course.  Not confessing anything.

In my humble opinion, I imagine that my "seat governor" would probably limit me (with my BS-021 tires) to about 1.5x on the lower speed curves and about 1.8x on this higher marked curves. It's probably some sort of a sliding scale that culminates in about 2.3x on the straights. Of course, I have no real world street experience to verify those numbers. ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
I learned how to ride in the early 80's in central FL... (Brooksville - There are curves in FL)
A posted 35- 45MPH curve is easily doubled and most turns in FL you can triple the posted speed.

Here in Western NC most curves are not posted unless really bad.
Example which most of you who have visited here know, is the 10mph right turn on 28 heading west towards the Deal's Gap store.
On the C-14 it can be taken at 35-40mph on an 848 it can be done at 60mph without dragging a knee.
The speed limit on 28 from Franklin to Deal's Gap is 55mph. There are places where it is impossible to hold 55mph and there are no signs.
Much like Deal's Gap, some places you can not hold 30mph and that road used to be 55mph.

As far as posted speed, I think all states are way off on their posted safe speed.
But, remember that the posted safe speeds are set for vehicles like large trucks.
A yellow sign is a warning, a white sign is the speed limit. So you can take a 35mph turn at 55mph without it being illegal.

It would be nice if more drivers and riders knew this.
One problem here is the NC State speed limit is 55 unless otherwise posted.
So a Harley rider sees a yellow sign with 35 on it leading up to a curve, then they ride 35mph for the entire stretch of the road.
It is really bad when they have 6-10 pirate ships all wobbling down the yellow line at 35mph... And no passing zone is available... :-X

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
i think corner speed postings are better in NC then here in SC. theres a lot of 25mph corners that should be marked 45mph, its crazy.
as far as the C14 doing its thing, I agree with the peg height and lean angle not being on par with sport bikes. but like someone else said I don't think the C14 should lean over any more then it does. with its weight you would need crazy glue on the tires leaned over any further!
but its an awesome bike and the Balls/Sac factor does come into play as to who hands out the a$$ whippin', I've been handed whippin's alot. I've also had people tell me I was a crazy a-hole and they would never ride with me again.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I suppose that at some point there were some engineering calculations on the posted speeds, but political and/or practical considerations changed a lot of them.  After a bunch of people ran off the road at one corner near where I used to live, the yellow sign dropped about 20mph and an additional warning sign was added.

In AZ, the signs seem, for the most part, fairly conservative.  Most roadworthy vehicles can corner at the posted speeds in dry & clear conditions w/o a problem.   But I heard about a bike that was running up Mt Lemmon at about 2.0-2.5x the posted speeds, and was caught by a late-model Camaro.   So I was curious.  Thanks again.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Extra weight, less flickability (techy term) and braking sufferage.  Fully capable bike, just not the same as a full blown sport bike.  Equal riders and the '14 loses everytime.  Match it up with any other ST and the '14 wins, again, same skills, same sack level.  For the whale she is she does remarkably well, no doubt in my mind.

I owned a R1 and a 600RR at the same time I've owned the Connie. Its not realistic to think the Connie can perform as well with same rider in the turns

And the 109 HP 600RR wasted my 130HP C14 in the straight line drag racing too, as the 600RR is light as a feather.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
I shot this video this morning.
This single 10mph curve crashes more pirate ships, trikes and cars than any other curve.
It has claimed more lives than Deal's Gap.

I ran the curve this morning just above 30mph on the speedo.
It is blind either direction. Far too many people do not heed the warnings.
The state posted warning 1/4 mile before the turn and the locals painted SLO on the pavement.
But yet people try their best to go as fast as they can through the turn.

28 Bad Curve

Here is the rear view

28 Bad Curve Rear View

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
I owned a R1 and a 600RR at the same time I've owned the Connie. Its not realistic to think the Connie can perform as well with same rider in the turns

-snip-
Isnt that what I said?  If not, thats what I meant :)  A properly running 600 sport bike will spank a 14.  Put an average young squid on a 600 and say Ben Spies on a 14 and the 14 wins.  Put Spies on the 600, then a 14 and the 600 will be quicker.

Screw all this bench racing, lets ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »
Isnt that what I said?  If not, thats what I meant :)  A properly running 600 sport bike will spank a 14.  Put an average young squid on a 600 and say Ben Spies on a 14 and the 14 wins.  Put Spies on the 600, then a 14 and the 600 will be quicker.

Screw all this bench racing, lets ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes sir,

And I suspect we've been promoted to internetz armchair racing by now
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
So a Harley rider sees a yellow sign with 35 on it leading up to a curve, then they ride 35mph for the entire stretch of the road.
It is really bad when they have 6-10 pirate ships all wobbling down the yellow line at 35mph... And no passing zone is available... :-X

I beg to differ. HDs don't drive 35 mph because of some sign. They just can't get any faster than that, unless you drop them from a plane.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:19 PM »
I posted a pic of a curve carver in open forum  ;D

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4530.0

Offline Fretka

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Let's trot old the truism: Riding fast against the clock is for professionals, a challenging ride is what we mortals are looking for and never the twain shall meet..... OR... 40mph in an old Pinto= 130 mph in a Lambo when looking to generate some adrenaline! Fast/schmast... fun is the key.
BTW  Steven,
Tell your s/o that she could be a model for Duc any day!                 :D   you lucky sob.......

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
I posted a pic of a curve carver in open forum  ;D

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4530.0

Let's trot old the truism: Riding fast against the clock is for professionals, a challenging ride is what we mortals are looking for and never the twain shall meet..... OR... 40mph in an old Pinto= 130 mph in a Lambo when looking to generate some adrenaline! Fast/schmast... fun is the key.
BTW  Steven,
Tell your s/o that she could be a model for Duc any day!                 :D   you lucky sob.......

Fretka

I'm going to tell her you said just that, and she'll like hearing it thanks