Author Topic: Kipass pinging and battery wear  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
Kipass pinging and battery wear
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »

When I picked up my C-14 the stealership warned me not to leave my fob in or close to the bike as it will wear down the bikes battery while it pings to and fro....is this true as my amp display never shows an issue whether or not I leave it in glovebox??

Thanks.Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Bourne2Ride

Re: Kipass pinging and battery wear
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
I don't think it affects the bike battery so much as it'll affect the FOB battery.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
Leave the FOB in your glovebox.  I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with your battery.  On the other hand, the guy who steals your Connie might have problems with HIS battery.  But that'll be HIS problem, right?
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Leave the FOB in your glovebox.  I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with your battery.  On the other hand, the guy who steals your Connie might have problems with HIS battery.  But that'll be HIS problem, right?

Cute I am talking garage not hood ,but point made....Iasked him if he meant fob battery,as I wouldn't really care as I carry extras, but he said bike battery.
           Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »

:rotflmao: :goodpost:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
Amp display? What is you 'amp display'?

The bike only looks for fobs when it is powered up, not when it is powered down, and even when powered up it only polls for fobs at very specific times rather than all the time or in any timed intervals. So there is no difference in fob battery life (or anything else) no matter how close to or how far the fob is from the bike. Leave the fob sitting on the bike if you want although there is the obvious possibility of forgetting it, dropping it, etc.

Brian

When I picked up my C-14 the stealership warned me not to leave my fob in or close to the bike as it will wear down the bikes battery while it pings to and fro....is this true as my amp display never shows an issue whether or not I leave it in glovebox??

Thanks.Mike
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
It's pretty disheartening how little some dealers know about our bikes.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:24 PM »
Yeah, ask them how many of their mechanics actually went through a bike school factory or otherwise.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »
Amp display? What is you 'amp display'?

The bike only looks for fobs when it is powered up, not when it is powered down, and even when powered up it only polls for fobs at very specific times rather than all the time or in any timed intervals. So there is no difference in fob battery life (or anything else) no matter how close to or how far the fob is from the bike. Leave the fob sitting on the bike if you want although there is the obvious possibility of forgetting it, dropping it, etc.

Brian
This statement has me perplexed.  If it only "...looks for fobs when it is powered up, not when it is powered down...", how do we EVER get it powered up in the first place?
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 06:33:30 AM »
This statement has me perplexed.  If it only "...looks for fobs when it is powered up, not when it is powered down...", how do we EVER get it powered up in the first place?

Huh?

When you press the stove knob key down the bike sends out a signal, if the fob is near by, and the battery isn't dead, it responds with it's own signal telling the bike that it's ok to allow the key to be turned to the on position.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline redbarber

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:36:51 AM »
Thanks Conrad, I knew there was a logical reason.  I probably knew that at some point, but this is my 56th BD and I am quickly becoming brain dead these days.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Thanks Conrad, I knew there was a logical reason.  I probably knew that at some point, but this is my 56th BD and I am quickly becoming brain dead these days.

As long as you remember the important things, like where you live, where the fridge is, and where you parked your bike.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
KiPass <--------awesome topic right, and awesome product  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »

Happy Birthday RB!  :chugbeer:

Offline Khrome

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »

Wish I had a dollar for every time Ive went into mine to look and they ask to help me.... Really you wanna help me?  You don't even know which bike on the showroom floor has Kipass let alone what it is...

I went in last week to check my discount on accessories  ::) and when the Parts guy, who's been there for some 10-12 years, starts to look for the accessories he said... Hmmm I'm not sure which book they would be in??  I have walked out so many times thinking I would never go back only to decide I don't want to lose 20 years of dealing with the owner and getting decent deals and also not having to drive over an hour away to another dealer who is probably worse.

/rant off
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
We feel your pain..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
We feel your pain..

Hell I forgot the best part... I went back this week to actually order the trunk after the owner offered a good discount... So I told him I wanted the 47 liter trunk and the 2011 silver color match piece... He rings it up and I ask when will it be here he looked for a moment and said about 5 days or so... that'll be $127 and change  :o  I said do what? Ummm you have to actually order the trunk part number also not just the color match piece... :rotflmao:

As I stated before at least 10-11 years ... I guess I know why he is still there...
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »

Good info  all,I thought it sounded like BS.....if the fobs on the bike then my grandsons can't steal the bike... (or lose/hide  my fob ha ha) they don't have unsupervised access to my garage!!

Mike

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »
Wish I had a dollar for every time Ive went into mine to look and they ask to help me.... Really you wanna help me?  You don't even know which bike on the showroom floor has Kipass let alone what it is...

I went in last week to check my discount on accessories  ::) and when the Parts guy, who's been there for some 10-12 years, starts to look for the accessories he said... Hmmm I'm not sure which book they would be in??  I have walked out so many times thinking I would never go back only to decide I don't want to lose 20 years of dealing with the owner and getting decent deals and also not having to drive over an hour away to another dealer who is probably worse.

/rant off

One good thing about my local dealer is that both the head tech and the manager ride C14s so at least they know whats what about our bikes.